Looking for a Home for Duchess

Missymew

Eight years ago I took in a rescue cat who had 3 four-week old kittens. I finished raising the kittens and found homes for the three of them. The very young mother cat just seemed to blend in with my three cats after her kittens had gone (and I'd had Duchess spayed). For over 2 years she and my other 3 cats lived in peace. Whatever changed ... I never knew. But in the end she and Trinity absolutely hated each other. Our house became a war-zone. I tried everything: behaviour management and prescriptions meds - nothing worked.

I had to find another home for either Duchess or Trinity. Myself, I preferred Duchess to Trinity, but both Dudley and Missymew got on fine with Trinity - they too had issues with Duchess - and she with them. I found Duchess a fabulous home with a widower. She and Dan have had 6 really happy years together. This weekend Dan has gone into assisted living, and Duchess can't go with him.

Dan is heartbroken and wanted me to take Duchess (he doesn't trust his sons and daughters - he thinks that they might trick him and just put Duchess down). So, I've got Duchess again. Right now all is at peace as Duchess is content to stay in the spare bedroom. Content, as long as when she calls at about 2 a.m., I switch bedrooms to sleep with her.

Tomorrow I'm going to put up some posters at Vet Hospitals and Clinics, grocery store bulletin boards, and Petsmart. Duchess is now 9 years old and is packing some extra pounds. She's still very affectionate, but definitely prefers to be an only pet. I'm still hopeful that she and Trinity will bury their hatchets and get along. If they do, Ray has said Duchess can stay. Of course, I've already fallen back in love with Duchess.

Here's a photo of her - isn't she beautiful.

I'm also not certain that Dan will be able to move into the Assisted Living Facility - he's been in hospital - he's at Stage 4 kidney failure - he's not sounding very good and his family are gathering in the city this weekend. He's 94 years of age and has been such a good friend.

-Susanne

:D

She's gorgeous Suzanne! And it's very obvious why she's called Duchess! If ever I saw a "We are not amused" look, that would be it! :o

I hope that things work out so she'll either make peace with Trinity or you'll be able to find a good home for her.

Ya know, it says a lot about the kind of person you are that you provided Dan (and Duchess) with such wonderful companionship for so many years. He and Duchess are both lucky to have you for a friend.

Deb

Susanne, she is beautiful!

Whenever I''ve brought a new cat into my home I've always isolated the new kitty for awhile and then started letting it mingle with the others for short periods while I'm with them. So far this has worked for me.

I wish I lived closer I would take her!

I know this may sound terribly silly, but whenever we bring a new pet home, we rub a drop of vanilla extract on every furbaby's nose. Animal react to the smell of others, and fight over their territory, and it sees to make everyone neutral! No marking territory (thank goodness), and no hair raised up on their backs.

Just be sure to not use too much, just a tiny drop on your finger.

Poor Dan. My heart goes out to him. And to Dutchess too. I would love to have her, but with two male cats and a dog, I doubt she would be happy here. She is gorgeous! Even with the extra pounds. It just adds to her charm...and remember a bit zoftig is good!

I think I'll try the vanilla extract trick when I "re-introduce" the girls after a 5 1/2 year separation.

I'm not going to let Duchess go unless I am absolutely, positively sure that it won't work here. When I went into a store today and pinned up my ad (Ray still believes that some caller who answers my ad really and truly will pass my intense screening and be allowed to take Duchess away from me - LOL), I spoke with a couple of women who were ooohing and awwing over her photo. (Ray was in the car waiting for me). I told them that she's beautiful, but too bad that she uses the whole house like her own personal litterbox. Snicker .... I don't think either of them will be phoning.

Anyway, wish me luck with Duchess, Trinity and Missymew agreeing to a truce.

BTW, I went up to the hospital to see Dan today. I arrived just before lunch as I figured it would not only be a good time to catch him awake, but that I could help him with his lunch tray. Good thing Ray and I were there - the kitchen staff just leave the lunch tray on a table. Dan can't get up on his own, and needs assistance in unwrapping everything. He still had his morning cereal and fruit on his table because he'd not been able to open the box or take the snap-off lid off of his fruit dish.

He's such a sweetheart, and Ray, Dan and I had a really good visit. He was so pleased with the 2 photos that I gave him of Duchess that his daughter phoned me just a little while ago. She'd stopped off at the hospital a couple of hours after me, and she said Dan was very pleased to have had company - and just loves his photos of his Dutchy.

-Susanne

Let us know how it goes with Duchess, sounds like you're trying to make it work.

Dan's family needs to tell the nursing staff that he needs help with opening things, they ought to have a nursing assistant to help with things like that. It's not good for him to not eat simply because he can't open something.

Terri

I really do hope it all works out so far no one at work has wanted a cat while I can't get your poster for some odd reason i have been asking customers.

BTW, I went up to the hospital to see Dan today. I arrived just before lunch as I figured it would not only be a good time to catch him awake, but that I could help him with his lunch tray. Good thing Ray and I were there - the kitchen staff just leave the lunch tray on a table. Dan can't get up on his own, and needs assistance in unwrapping everything. He still had his morning cereal and fruit on his table because he'd not been able to open the box or take the snap-off lid off of his fruit dish.

That just breaks my heart to think of that poor man with his breakfast in front of him and not able to eat. Someone there needs to be slapped upside the head for not opening the containers for him. I'm so glad that you and Ray were there to help him with his lunch, share some happy conversation and bring him pictures of his beloved Duchess. Don't give up on the truce with Missymew and Trinity! I'm sure that with your determination, it will all work out.

Deb

I might have found a new home for Duchess. I had a phone call from a very nice man. He has a wife and twin 18-month old daughters. Their cat was 17 years old when he died. He said he'd like to adopt an older cat as he realizes that it's tougher for them to find a home. They're going to come over tomorrow.

I'd been holding out for another quiet home with a senior. But I was very impressed with my feelings about this fellow. He lives not too far away and understands that if things don't work out that Duchess is welcome back at our house anytime. I told him I'd even drive over and get her.

In speaking with a friend I have (she and I have shared in many cat-rescues over the past several years), and NASAP (local animal rescue society), they both agree that seniors aren't ALWAYS the best homes for an older (or any) pet. Sometimes the senior is unable to properly care for the animal and by the time the senior is moved to a nursing home, their pets haven't been looked after that well. Also, Duchess just might outlive another owner.

I'm looking forward to meeting this fellow and his family tomorrow afternoon. I'm also a little scared to let Duchess go. I always find it very hard to part with my rescue animals, but I know that Trinity is not a happy camper right now.

-Susanne

Duchess has gone to a new home. A lady (about my age) phoned. Her elderly cat had to be put down, and she wanted another cat companion. She wanted an older cat that's independent. She lives by herself in a townhouse, with visits from her daughter and grandchildren.

She came over to see Duchess, and not only did she fall in love with Duchess - Duchess fell in love with her. I couldn't believe it. Duchess was resting on the cat tree in the living room. Jan entered the living room and exclaimed how beautiful Duchess was. Duchess started to talk with Jan, got down from the cat tree, crossed the living room and sat at Jan's feet. Jan petted and talked with her and Duchess just sat with her purring. She's not done that before. Usually Duchess hides whenever somebody new comes over.

Jan took her home, and has promised to keep in touch. I'm so happy with the this match. Trinity has come back inside - she'd started spending all day in the garden rather than share the house with Duchess.

Thanks for everybody's support.

-Susanne

Sounds like Duchess and Jan were made for each other. What a happy ending! I'm very pleased and happy for both of them, and for you as well! It's not easy placing a kitty, you always wonder or worry, but this sounds like a match made in heaven!

Keep us updated on her though!

Gina