Yup, its me again with another Willowcrest question

KellyFG

How much..........  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Approx how much did you spend to complete your Willowcrest, not including the price of the house?

• less than $100
    • $100-$200
    • $200-$300
    • $300-$500
    • much more
    • other because there always is

I hope its not bad dollhouse etiquette to ask, I did a poll so it can be anonymous. I'm just trying to figure out if this is going to be more or less expensive than my scrapbook addiction. I got a job teaching classes at Michaels to help with that. I'm wondering what kind of extra job I'll need to pay for this! :o

Please feel free to show my pictures of your finished product too!

Thanks a million!

I don't have a Willowcrest, but I will say that it's up to you how expensive/inexpensive it will be to finish it.

Some people choose to make their own furniture/accessories or buy less expensive items that still look really nice and well done. Others go middle of the road with their dh furnishings/accessories...some mix less expensive pieces with a few special more expensive ones. And then you have some who only buy top of the line stuff from Bespaq & Reutter.

It's YOUR house...so you decide how much you should spend on it based on your budget.

The important thing is to just have fun with it!

I second what Tiffanie said. It's really up to you, your budget and taste. If need be, you can furnish your house inexpensively by making or purchasing low cost items. Later, you can always replace them with higher end items if you desire. Have fun and enjoy your dollhouse!

I spent a lot on my first house because I purchased nearly all of the furniture and accessories. Luckily it was fairly small!

Now I enjoy the challenge of making as much of the furniture and accessories as I can, thanks to the inspiration and encouragment from all of the incredibly talented folks right here on the Greenleaf forum. I mix what I make with some purchased furniture from my stash or maybe splurge on a single make-the-room item.

I think decorating is way too personal an issue to be able to categorize it in a poll.

It really matters on how you want to dress the Willowcrest. Do you have a set deadline that you want to complete it? Or do you want to take your time? Taking your time can save you money (sometimes..LOL) because you will take the time to find the bargains or make things on your own.

Also if this is going to be a treasure to you or are you planning on selling or giving it away? Treasures just for you to have and enjoy can jack up the price too...LOL We mini-nuts only like the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Kelly Im sure your house will turn out great. Im with what the others said. Its all up to you how much you want to spend on it and remember theres no time limit on it. You can take years to decorate your house according to what you want or your budget so you dont have to rush and get everything at once. I have pictures of my Willowcrest in my gallery.

Now I enjoy the challenge of making as much of the furniture and accessories as I can, thanks to the inspiration and encouragment from all of the incredibly talented folks right here on the Greenleaf forum. I mix what I make with some purchased furniture from my stash or maybe splurge on a single make-the-room item.

sometimes you just have to make your own pieces to get that just right size/shape/style as well and you feel even more proud that you have something that you can say "yeah i made that myself"

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't built my Willowcrest yet, but when I do I wouldn't even begin to try to add up what I've $pent already. I began to make dolls because it wanted a particular Edwardian African-American family to live in it. The family's hobbies include travel & collecting Orientalia. I began making furniture for my other houses so that once it's built I can make the styles I want in sizes that'll fit.

DH & I will probably come to blows over the building schedule because I wanted to start the Willowcrest this year and he wants me to jump in and rehab the Pierce I acquired so I can donate it to some church raffle... (HAH! in a pig's eye, if I do half of what it's telling me it wants it will only leave me when he pries it out of my cold, dead hands!)

Some wise soul once defined a hobby as "any activity which costs inordinate amounts of money and time and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to anyone else who doesn't share that hobby". When I began I was an RN and DH was an environmental engineer, and now we are both retired, so that's why I now make all sorts of dh items.