Heart Attack: the sequel

Deb

Bruce had another heart attack yesterday morning. This one was in the front of his heart and was a 95% blockage. The doctor said the area is called "the widow maker" and it seems the term was almost accurate. He had surgery immediately to put in a second stent and we've spent the past two days in ICU. The good news is that there was no apparent damage and he's going to be okay. We came home this afternoon and after not sleeping and everything else, we're both exhausted.

Just wanted to let y'all know. If I owe anyone an email or pm, I'll be back after a long hot shower and a longer nap.

Deb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Deb how horrible! I'm so glad though that you're both home. You need rest and so does he....so rest both of you! And get better!

If you need anything please give a holler!

OMG!! Deb, I called you yesterday cause I woke up with you on my mind! I am so happy you got him to the hospital in time!! My Love & Hugs and wishes for fast healing is their with you both! Take care and try and get some rest. Love You Honey!! Give Bruce a tender hug from me and know I love You Dear!! :unsure: It's amazing how much our bodies can take. Bruce is so strong!

Deb, I'm not giving this sequel any stars at all. Bummer!

Glad the cardiologist was on top of it. Sending healing vibes and burning an array of candles for both of you. Many gentle hugs.

Oh Geez, it never ends for you two. Take it easy! Hope you both feel better soon. So glad you got to the hospital on time. Will be thinking of you both.

Oh, that is so scary. My prayers go out to you. Hope Bruce recovers soon - you, too!

I've read lately that inflammation is just as suspect as high cholesterol in heart attacks. Anyone know anything about that?

DS#2, age 45, just had a first heart attack (also on the back side of the heart) in May. Only one coronary artery occluded, the cardiologist put in a stent. He's big, healthy, works out, eats a reasonably good diet but has high cholesterol and also inflammation, stress, a lot of the other factors currently being discussed.

I truly hope all your trips to the ER are behind you, Deb.

Carol

Thanks everyone. We're gradually starting to relax a little bit this evening and resting. There's just no way to sleep in a hospital, especially in an ICU. They had Bruce hooked up to a monitor to track his vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, respiration, etc) and any time they go up or down, an alarm goes off. I call it the "Holy cow, the patient fell asleep!!" alarm coz when Bruce would start to go to sleep, his breathing rate would slow down and the alarm would go off. Of course, that would make him jump about three feet in the air and 'bout have another heart attack. I accused the nurses of watching it on the monitor at the nurse's station and laughing. One of them just smiled and told me to stay off You Tube unless I was prepared for the truth. <cackle>

Bruce got a nap and had a light dinner so he's feeling more human now. It will only take about a week for the incision to heal. They make the incision for the stent in the artery in the groin and it's going to be really tender for awhile but after the first 12 hours, there's not a lot of danger involved. But this is the second time he's done this, so he's familiar with the process. <sigh> There are other things that I'd rather he be experienced with. Having two heart attacks by age 42 isn't a good thing.

Deb