Some wiring questions

New Day

I won a lot of lights and wiring stuff that arrived today, and I have a few questions about some of it. TIA for any help anyone can offer! I am using power strips for my lighting, btw. (and I don't have a soldering tool, but I guess I may need to get one)

One is a brass carriage lamp that I love, but all of the wires on the back are exposed. I have some of those shrink tubes for wiring. Can someone tell me if that is what I need to make this light safely usable, and also maybe explain how I would do that? In really simple terms, since I don't know a lot about wiring, and the research I have done so far today has confused me. :)

Also, I got a lot of plugs with insulated wires, but there is nothing on the end of the wire, like an outlet, or bulb. I was going to make my own lights, and I already have some grain of wheat bulbs with insulated wires, but I'm wondering what I can use these for.

Lastly, the lot also had some grain of wheat bulbs on wires that don't have any insulation, just 2 bare wires on each bulb, can anyone explain how I can use these? I'm guessing the shrink tubes again, but the wires are short, so I'm wondering what they can be used for.

Thanks for any help and advice. After reading this, I realize that maybe I am too clueless for this wiring stuff and I should stick with ready made lights. But, in case I can use these items, thought I'd check with you all here first.

Thanks!

post-1680-1214525228_thumb.jpg

post-1680-1214526052_thumb.jpg

Not sure if I get what you're asking, but I think you're asking how to join the wire from the lamp to the wire that is attached to the plug?

If so, you can twist the two separate pieces together into a small, fine strand and then slip the shrink tubes over them so that they are completely covered. Then you hit it with a hair dryer until the shrink tube conforms to the wire, providing proper insulation for them.

Hope that helps a little bit... :)

I was about to start a simalr thread with pretty much the same questions. One more, those carriage lamps of tours is there a trick to connecting it to the tape wire? I can't see it that well.

Thanks everyone!

Tiffanie, yes that was one of the things that I was wondering. Is it o.k. for the two wires from the bulb to touch each other? One of the things I read somewhere, was that you didn't want certain wires to touch, as it could cause a short. Like, for example, each bulb has two bare wires coming off of it. Is it o.k. for these wires to touch each other, and the wires from the plug in one shrink tube? Or should I keep them separate and attach each wire from the bulb to a wire from the plug assembly and cover with tubing separately so they don't touch?

Sorry if I am being dense. :) (Nothing new there!)

Thanks so much for the advice!

What Kitten said about using the plug with wire. Now, the coach light, I believe the wires would maybe go through a hole in the wall where you want the fixture, if the wiring was to be all inside the house, and then be soldered/bradded to a tape run or spliced to round wire. And you would again need to insulate the wires from each other.

There were some good articles on lighting in the old Nutshell News/Dollhouse Miniatures magazines. I seem to recall that a small amount of silicone sealant could be used to insulate the wires? I'm pretty sure you don't want the two wires touching each other, as that would short out the bulb.

Hopefully someone smarter and more experienced than me will be along shortly!

Thanks Pam and Sheila! This is helpful, too. That ebook looks great!

I am concerned with the carriage light, it has like 10-12 wires sticking out! I may just see if I can take the bulb assembly out and replace it with a new one that already has insulated wiring. The lamp comes apart to replace the bulb, but it is a screw in bulb, so I would have to get the screw in part out. Still, that may easier than trying to figure out that mess of wires!

Thanks again! You are all so kind to take the time to help!

There were some good articles on lighting in the old Nutshell News/Dollhouse Miniatures magazines. I seem to recall that a small amount of silicone sealant could be used to insulate the wires? I'm pretty sure you don't want the two wires touching each other, as that would short out the bulb.

This is probably a more practical answer than using shrink tubing. Albiet the tubing is simple, I cannot imagine you have the smallest size that will shrink down to the size of such small wire. It won't shrink indefinitely. I would try the silicone approach. I am not sure of your skill level so far as soldering goes either. It would provide the most positive electrical connection, but again the small wire size does not enhance your ability to solder it - it makes it all the more difficult. I think the easiest method for you would be to hold the light fixture or light stationary in an alligator clip or something similar so you can work with the bare wiring. Cut the leads as short as possible still allowing enough to twist them together with the cords, then use the silicone to insulate these connections apart from one another. Keep in mind that you really need the exposed wires short so it doesn't ruin the effect of the wiring. You don't want your electric work like this exposed and ruin the asthetics of your dollhouse.

About the wiring making contact. It will create a short, but it isn't totally unsafe mainly because you are just using a very low voltage circuit. It will, however dim all your lights on the circuit and make them not work properly, so you must avoid this.