2/10/06 How do you blow off steam?

Minis On The Edge

With Life being as Stressful as it is I started wondering what do you do to blow off steam?

I build dollhouses or workout to blow off steam. Sometimes I write or draw or go play with the kids. A month ago I would have added Chocolate to that list LOL :lol:

I work on minis to calm down when I need a release from stress. Right now I am going through a very stressful period. As some of you know, my mother passed away a few weeks ago and at first I thought I was dealing with it very well. But now alot of little things are just setting me off, things that normally I wouldn't think twice about. I've been working in my shop alot lately trying to keep my mind busy and my thoughts under control. It seems to be working, but I just realized I'm smoking twice as much as I was before. This I have to get under control.

terri

Terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your mother!

keeping busy is good but do take care of yourself in your greiving process.

there are people who need you and love you also!

BIG HUGGGZZZZZZ

nutti :lol:

Big hugs from me too Terri! I kinda know how you feel. I'm still feeling the loss of my father (2002), and sometimes I think I'm supposed to call him! I've also noticed some odd changes, which I traced back to his death. Like, I lose stuff all the time, more than before. Mostly I lose my bills and forget to pay them. It's weird.

I don't think we ever get over losing some one and I am SO sorry to hear about your loss Terri! I lost my Grandmother back in 2000 and I did so good last year (Like not crying everytime I seen a petunia which was her favorite flower) But in December and every since, for some reason not a day goes by that she is not on my mind or I find myself weeping because I miss her.

I was going to real estate school when she told me she had Cancer and that the doctor said she had 3 months to live. She lived 2 year after (and it was bone cancer) and I found in those two years that she and I had so much in common. We both like dolls and she told me that I was not gonna make much money in real estate, she told me my real money was gonna come from dollhouses and at the time, I was working at a Pharmacuetical company, Hubby and I had another business (Multi level marketing) and I did ebay and real estate classes and hubby was working as a General Contractor. I was a workaholic.

When I think about it now, I am amazed at how she could see that the dollhouses were the real thing for me to get in and I tried VERY hard at real estate and never made 1 cent. I wish she would have met my youngest daughter Sarah. She would have loved her so much too. She loved all of us so much and of course.. I am wetting my keyboard right now so I gotta go.

I am truly sorry about your Loss Terri!! Teresa Lost her Grandmother a few weeks ago too. Here are some Big Hugs to everyone feeling sad about there loses. You too Linda!! :lol:

Terri, I'm sorry about your mom. I'm sure the grief must still be very sharp still. Don't worry about the smoking more right now. That will taper off in time.

I deal with different types of stress in different ways. When I feel as if things are out of control, I crank up the rock-n-roll and clean house. When I'm just jumpy and jittery, I polish brass and silver and wash my rocks. When I'm really angry, I head to the gun range. And when its just the normal day to day stress, I create things. The best remedy for negativity in life is to create something. So I head back to the studio, turn on some 40's tunes and work on minis. I take my textiles to work with me and that helps keep me sane there. (If I'm jabbing needles in fabric, I won't be quite as inclined to jab them in people) :lol:

I think the minis are the best soothers tho. When I start getting really stressed at work and it's too busy to do needlework, I turn my mind to whatever mini I'm working on and start planning what I'll be doing next.........and the knots go out of my shoulders. <happy sigh> Wouldn't it be great if we could convert the whole world to this delightful hobby? Think how happy everyone would be!

Deb

Terri, I am sorry for the loss of your mom. My dad died when I was four, and I still miss him over thirty years later. Take time to take care of yourself, and something someone once said to me was--they are always with you, if you remember them. I understand about the little things setting you off, that didn't usually bother you--that happens to me around his birthday and Christmas.

I usually unwind by going to the driving range and taking my driver and just pounding some balls down the fairway--it's great, and pretty soon you forget anger and frustration and just want to see how far and straight you can drive the ball. I took up golf about three years ago, and because of time constraints, show prep, or just day to day living, haven't been able to make it to the range as much as I would like. The gym is ok but I prefer a good swim to the treadmill and the machines. sometimes I unwind just by curling up with a good book--that's fun too. Another thing I do is when I unwind when I do minis solely for myself--not for show, the catalog, orders, new product, etc. I find that is sometimes when I am at my best--mini-wise. :lol:

I lead a pretty stress-free life, even with work, I'm able to walk away for an hour or so if I need to and come back to it later. When I'm really angry, I seethe, plan my revenge and for some reason that always makes me feel good.

Wendy

When I'm really angry, I seethe, plan my revenge and for some reason that always makes me feel good.

I used to LOVE to "plan" revenge :lol: after planning it I never did anything but thinking about what I could or should do made the stress go away LOL

Terri Iam sorry to hear the loss of your mother. When I get stressed which I have had alot of lately. I tend to wash laundry like crazy and clean, I dont tend to work on my mini's when I get stressed seeing I cant concetrate on them too much.

Lyn

Terri, I'm so sorry for your loss. Nothing can replace a Mother, no matter if she was good or bad. My Grandmother died in December and I've found the best way to deal with it is to acknowledge it, let the emotions ride out for a while and then get on with something I enjoy, like working on my dollhouses. Everyone deals with grief differently, but I personally feel a good cry is worth a thousand words. Most of the time I cry when I exercise . . . still haven't figured that one out! It gets kind of embarassing at the gym! :lol:

The heart will heal in its own time . . .

You and your family are in my prayers!

To blow off steam? . . . I talk (more like rant) to my best friend in the whole world . . . my hubby . . . and I vent and vent and vent.

Terri -

Sorry about the loss of your mum. I've not had to deal with that yet. My mum is 79 and my dad will be 80 in July.

But, I have suffered losses and grieve. I don't think time really does heal. I think that, over time, we just develop coping skills. The chaplain where I work does grief counselling. He gave me some advice that really worked for me. Iasked him how, when you lose somebody that you really care about, do you ever stop grieving. I mean, if they're important to you, won't they always be important? He told me that I should schedule time to grieve ... every day, if necessary. He said not to let the grief take over my life, but to make an appointment with myself to remember my loss and grieve.

What I do to alleviate stress is read. I pick up a favourite book, or poetry.

Susanne

I want to thank all of you for your kind words. They help alot. I hadn't planned on even mentioning my Mother here. I'm usually the type that keeps things inside and I don't often share my deep personal stuff with anyone out side of my immediate family. Its been a little over a month and I still haven't told alot of my friends. I will but later. When I can deal with it better.

Thank you again,

terri

I feel for you so much. My dad died extremely young, he was only 31, and died of a brain anarism?not sure if I spelled that right--at the base of his brain. What was worse, I was with Mom when we found him at home, then took him to the hospital. He was a vital person, to all of a sudden die, and so I miss him alot. He was a kid at Christmas time, so every year, we put a decorated tree on his grave, and we' ve done this for about 35+ years now. Since he died two or three weeks before the holiday, it makes the holiday that much harder. I know it is hard, but I take more of a notice now in the technology of the day--he was a big tech geek and loved electronics, planes, and cars, and especially photography. I like to think that he would be amazed at the laptop computers--and my PC and its graphics, because he was working in the computer industry when he died, and it was just beginning to take off in the late 60's. When he died, he left behind all of his film, catalogued, labeled, and boxes of slides and pictures the same way. So when I think of the things --I include him also, and it's a little comforting, and makes me smile now. The idea for the name of Olde Shelby cottage came from him--he was born in Shelby, NC, so I include him in my personal minis too--and I think I love this little cottage more because of that.

My mom did not handle his death very well, and still doesn't. The best thing that a pastor told her was there is no limit on grief for a person, and you may never accept the death of a loved one, but you will learn to live with it.

Terri, I am sorry you lost your mom. I still miss mine very much, even though we fought a lot.

My very favorite stress reliever is always needlework, the more tedious the better :huh: . I don't have the stress I had when working, so now it's all for fun, but when I can't go outside to play I love having my minis.