GARFIELD - Looking for floor plan

JaimieMarvon

I read on a few websites that it is a good idea to make a "road map" of wiring before you wallpaper etc. I have searched the internet for a floor plan of the Garfield, but no luck. Have any of you other Garfield builders made a floor plan?? I'd love it if you'd share!

I've had my kit for over 6 months and was going crazy waiting to start buliding it.

I have already bought tons of furniture and the people for my house, as well as Grandparents to put in the other house (from a plan, not kit... very heavy) my father made for me when I was a young teenager (now in my "mid" 30's). I've bought landscaping, bricks, lots of furniture and tons of stuff on eBay. I've also researched lots of stuff the I can make on my own later on (print-minis, mini foods, paper flowers, etc.) But yet I don't have a lot of wallpaper, moulding, singles, paint, etc.

My foundation is built and most of the walls are up... some just taped in place so far.

It seems very funny to me that I've read MANY topics about the Garfield in this site abut how difficult the directions are and some people wondering if using a card table would work for buildig the kit. I guess notmany people have ready all the pages of insturecion that come in teh kit. It very bodly says to make sure you measure your doorways to be sure you can get the DH out of the room you build it in!!! ha ha ha

I measured my doorways, and I know we will be movig within 6 months, I have to be able to get the house of the the room. Its in a room in the back of the house, so the best way to get it out of the house altogether is go out the back. I would have to take both the inside door and the storm door off the hinges to squeak by. Since the foundation is the biggest part of the WHOLE of the house, I've decided to try to not glue the house to the foundation. If I am able to keep the seperate I can easily put the foundation on its side and get through the doorway with out having to take the door off the hinges! And the rest of the house walls will fit through fine. ALL IN THEORY. Just got most of the walls up last night so glue is still drying. Tonight I will take the tape off and see if my theory will work. If not I'll be in BIG trouble... how will I get it out when I move?? :lol:

JAIMIE

Welcome Jaime! I can't help with the wiring, so I'll wait for the others to answer. I did want to say welcome, and also to tell you to look in the blogs (black button at the top of your screen). DarrellandMelissa are currently blogging their tape wiring for the McKinley, and that may be useful to you. I'll try to post a link for you, but if it doesn't work, then just go into the blogs, choose the McKinley Team, and then choose Follow DarrellandMelissa's McKinley. You should start at the bottom and read up to the top because it's in reverse order.

Also, I noted that you said "oops" duplicate post, so I deleted that for you!

Here's the link: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...blog&blogid=12&

Well, the link won't work, so follow the directions above.

Edited by LPCullen

I measured my doorways, and I know we will be movig within 6 months, I have to be able to get the house of the the room.  Its in a room in the back of the house, so the best way to get it out of the house altogether is go out the back.  I would have to take both the inside door and the storm door off the hinges to squeak by.  Since the foundation is the biggest part of the WHOLE of the house, I've decided to try to not glue the house to the foundation.  If I am able to keep the seperate I can easily put the foundation on its side and get through the doorway with out having to take the door off the hinges!  And the rest of the house walls will fit through fine.  ALL IN THEORY.  Just got most of the walls up last night so glue is still drying. Tonight I will take the tape off and see if my theory will work.  If not I'll be in BIG trouble... how will I get it out when I move??  :huh:

JAIMIE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES! I just moved about a month ago, and boy let me tell you how hard it was to get my garfield out the door! I did get it in the new place thank goodness ! although it did take serveral times of turning it onto different angles! :) As for floor plans for electricity. I didnt do one. instead i got one of those multi plug outlits and I am lining the cords on the edges of the ceiling.

Last weekend I went AC Moore and bought my lighting kit with a 40% off coupon. I took a descent length of wood from the remains of the kit and ran a test strip. I plugged it all in and popped on the tester bulb. AMAZINGLY there was light!!!! Very exciting!!

I went to my local DH store this Saturday. I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones to have one less than 2 miles aways from my house (until I moves anyway). Also on the web http://www.circusdollhouse.com/ The owner, Marilyn, is wonderful. Very nice. Gave me a mini lesson in the tape wiring. I was so "afraid" to start, but also very excited.

I DID IT!! I am almost finished tapewiring my house!!! Sadly I ran out of tape. Everything works except for the one section that I need to splice, but have to get more tape in order to do that. It was so EASY!! The most difficult part is trying to get my hands and head into the little spaces to see where I was trying t put the tape wire!!!!

So, any of you that are nervous.. bite the bullet and just do it, go for it!!! Its not as scarey as it seems.

Also got more pics uploaded of my progress.. but not of the tape wiring yet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how high the ceilings on the first floor of the Garfield are? I'm thinking of replacing the staircase, but want to make sure the one I'm looking at will fit before I shell out a lot of money for it and I'm not far enough along on the house to dry-fit it and measure it out myself yet.

Thanks in advance. ;)