Does anyone know any natural remedies for fleas.

lynnae

I just coated my cat in vinegar, I read somewhere that it gets rid of fleas. I don't know about fleas, but no one will come with in 20 feet of me or my cat. :) lol I don't want to put any chemicals on him that will get in his blood stream. Does anyone know of any natural remedies for fleas.

I do not know about getting rid of fleas on the cat right now but to prevent fleas in the future, you can mix a 1 teaspoon of brewer`s yeast into their wet food every day and the yeast makes their flesh and blood taste nasty to the fleas. You can also pulverize a small clove of garlic and mix it in their food.

Also you can dust the brewers yeast on their coats, if they lick some off it will not harm them. You can buy it in the jar instead of having to use those small envelopes.

For the carpet sprinkle Borax or salt. Let sit for about a half hour and then vacuum up. Make sure to throw away the bag or empty the vacuum each time and get out of the house. If you do use Borax, do not let the cat lick it up. It is a strong salt used to soften water for laundry.

When you pick off a live flea, you can kill it by dropping it in alcohol.

I just read something....(i will remember this too). If you do not want to sprinkle the borax or salt on your carpet...just put some in your vac bag or vac compartment. When you vacuum up the fleas, the stuff will kill them in the vacuum.

In today's New York Post on page 39 they have a column "Ask Dr. Michael Fox" and one of today's questions had to do with feeding brewer's yeast with garlic to a cat as a daily treat. The answer was not to feed garlic or onions to cat. Garlic and onions affect an enzyme in red blood cells that makes hemoglobin oxidize. Depending on how much is eaten, this can mean acute anemia or chronic anemia with regular, low quanity consuption. It also mentions that garlic and onions are from the lily family, so make sure that your cat doesn't chew on any lilies.

Maybe you can access the article online. Sunday's New York Post. Ask Dr. Michael Fox--"Toxic Treats". Until I read this article I always thought garlic was a natural remendie for fleas as well, but now I'm not sure. I would do more research just to be on the safe side.

My dad rigged up a light flea thingamagig for his bulldog. He didn't believe in chemicals either. He put a light bulb in a small lamp next to the bed Maggie slept in during the day. Underneath the light he put fly paper. I know it sounds kind of crude, but it did seem to work.

Incidentally I would think the smell of vinegar would be more offensive to a cat than the itch of the fleas.

We used to have a big flea problem with our dog and cats. I found a company called Gardens Alive that sell a natural suppliment for fleas. You just sprinkle it on the food, it got rid of the fleas and made their coats soft and shiney in about a week. Since we've been using it no more fleas or skin allergies at all. Our dog suffered terribly from corn allergies in the dog food and we spent hundreds of dollars on vet trips for shots and shampoos, nothing worked until we found this stuff. It looks like saw dust and I don't know what its made out of but it is wonderful.

There are natural remedies, but in every case they are all iffy when it comes to protection against fleas. Considering the DEADLY worms and viruses that fleas can carry, it is safer to use the pet meds, which are a sure thing when it comes to protecting our pets.

I have read alot and dealt with flea infestations myself (none this year..knock on wood) and if the fleas are really really bad in your house...sometimes you have to use a chemical. There are less toxic products you can use. If it seems like the fleas are outnumbering the humans/animals, you may have to bomb the place.

Chelsea has friends that are against chemicals of any forms and they were able to find a bomb that wasnt as bad as some.

My two cats have fleas really bad and nothing is working, not even the meds. They don't go outside, but my MIL's cat did and she had them so my cats got them from her. I have not been able to get rid of them but I will try the salt or borax method and see if that works. If that doesn't I don't know what to do.

I know the internet can be so conflicting but I did read that you should NOT wash your animals in Dawn dish soap. I dont know what to think anymore...LOL

I found this holistic site that lists yeahs and nays on all types of flea treatments....EarthClinic.

I did have alot of success with the Borax last year on the carpets and in the upholstery. I found it in the laundry section at Walmart.

Dipping your cat in vinegar? Sounds like the cat smells now like salad dressing...... We are very lucky here. There are no fleas here in Seeley Lake. We are way too high and it's way too cold for them. Neither Princess, Tigger nor Poe have any fleas. But we are lucky I guess. No heartworm either.

Hi everyone,

Thanks every one for all the great ideas. I tried all kinds of things. (making sure they were safe first of course). Nothing worked so I finally had to break down and put a treatmeant on it. I used boi spot. It seems to work well. His fleas have been cut down by 80% and it has only been four days. I put a flea collar in my vaccum bag and I vaccum everything everyday and we haven't been bothered by them. I decided it is better to protect him from the fleas which I know will hurt him. It doesn't seem to bother him. Except when I first put it on and he reached behind and got some on his tounge. He was not happy. He calmed down and he is fine. Any cat that will let you pour vinegar all over him, has a calm personality. lol.

When treating for fleas, remember that fleas only spend part of their life on your pet, so treating the pet won't get rid of all of them. You must treat the pet, the house and the yard. Treatment will not affect unhatched eggs, so you must repeat the house and yard treatment over the course of several weeks, and continue to treat your pet monthly.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this morning on DIY Network they have tips during commercials and they were talking about fleas and I remember that someone here was looking for a remedy so I payed close attention..

They saw to put moth balls in your vaccum and run it a couple times and then put salt all over your carpet..

It said so this for a couple days and your problem will be solved..

Dont know if it will work or not but just thought I would pass it along!

• 2 months later...

Fleas are popping all over the place here. Dang weird weather!

And they are resistant. Looks like I have to pull out the box of Borax and sprinkle the heck out of everything. Poor Perla. She is whining cause of it. I gave her a flea bath and she is still suffering.

You think you are top of these things but the way the weather has been, these fleas are multiplying faster then I can kill em.

Ugh!

She is dealing with the fleas but I do not think that is why she is whining. She is following me around the house (up the stairs down the stairsl), she whines when I leave, but when I am gone..nothing. The family says she doesn't whine one bit. I do not know where she is getting this separation anxiety from all of a sudden. She never had it before.

Makes me wonder if she senses something.

She is dealing with the fleas but I do not think that is why she is whining. She is following me around the house (up the stairs down the stairsl), she whines when I leave, but when I am gone..nothing. The family says she doesn't whine one bit. I do not know where she is getting this separation anxiety from all of a sudden. She never had it before.

Makes me wonder if she senses something.

Heidi - I think that Pearla sees you as the family "alpha": feeder, protector, door opener, comforter .... and all of that. My cats follow me around the house all the time when I'm home. Ray says that when I'm not home, they just settle down and sleep. A number of years ago I had a vet (I don't use him anymore) who told me that I dote on my cats so much that I "make them neurotic". I know that my cats are "needy", but I don't have any children and I love that they want to be with me. They're my little buddies. I can just use my pointer finger and direct them around the house and garden. Wherever my pointer finger stops, they stop. If its at the litter box - they'll use it - if its by the water bowl - they'll drink. I also like to put them on the kitchen table and open up different spices and scents. I slowly move the item closer to their noses until they get a whiff. I watch that some scents (like cloves) don't get too near to them. I love watching their reactions to the various smells.

I think Pearla just needs lots of cuddles and kisses.

-Susanne