July 4, 2008

heidiiiii

Fred is working the holiday but that is okay with us. In our city, most people do not really celebrate the 4th. The following weekend we have an annual festival in the city that lasts from Friday-Sunday with a Grucci fireworks show on the river on Saturday night. Sailfest.

Are you going anywhere? What are you cooking? Hmmmm I can smell the burgers on the barbie now.

I'm hoping for a quiet weekend where we don't have to go anywhere. I'd like to work on a dollhouse, and watch the fireworks on TV (no mosquitos that way). :yay:

I had bought steaks to cook out, and was going to make home made ice cream. Later, we would walk one block to the top of the hill where we have a great view of the city's fireworks display.

Then this morning I received an invitation from our friends for the 4th. DH isn't sure about going because he has to work the next day. But turning down the invite causes problems because we blew off the invite to their son's high school graduation party. Our friend learned we were at Mass that evening, and grabbed us when we were leaving Mass and brought us over the the Knight's, where the party was being held, for some food and dancing. I'm glad we went. The only reason we were avoiding was because we don't know the son well, and figured it would mostly be him and his friends. It was a good time and I'm glad we went.

If we turn down this one, our friends might think we don't like them. Nothing could be farther from the truth!

I'll suggest to DH that we go the party and cook out Sunday instead.

I had bought steaks to cook out, and was going to make home made ice cream. Later, we would walk one block to the top of the hill where we have a great view of the city's fireworks display.

Then this morning I received an invitation from our friends for the 4th. DH isn't sure about going because he has to work the next day. But turning down the invite causes problems because we blew off the invite to their son's high school graduation party. Our friend learned we were at Mass that evening, and grabbed us when we were leaving Mass and brought us over the the Knight's, where the party was being held, for some food and dancing. I'm glad we went. The only reason we were avoiding was because we don't know the son well, and figured it would mostly be him and his friends. It was a good time and I'm glad we went.

If we turn down this one, our friends might think we don't like them. Nothing could be farther from the truth!

I'll suggest to DH that we go the party and cook out Sunday instead.

If you explain to them that he has to work and tell them we have to decline but please think of us the next time, that should do the trick.

Fred always takes the weekend of Sailfest off. I do not really like hanging out with 1000s of people in the heat of July but I love going out in the evening and seeing the fireworks.

Guest Nathaniel

I have a small cook out to go to on Friday the 4th, but other than that I am hoping to work on my houses this weekend. I swear, I have got enough projects started to keep me busy for the rest of my life!!! I need to stop shopping though and actually WORK on my houses!!!!

Im more excited about the following weekend. i took off thursday and friday from work so I have a 4 day weekend and I plan on seeing some family hopefully and getting some time in on my houses!

Otherwise, I usually dont make too big of plans for the 4th, sometimes I see fireworks, sometimes I dont, no real tradition here though...

I like traditions, but I like spontaneity and variety more. For example, I remember when I was little, sometimes my mom would decide that we were gonna have chocolate fudge sundays for dinner, so up we would go to the local ice cream shop and it would be special cus it was spontaneous and delicious! I LOVE Surprises. I think thats what I love so much about this doll house hobby, is that, in my search for miniature treasures, I am always really surprised by the neat things that I have been able to find.

Anyways, enough of me blabbing for now...

-Nathaniel :yay:

Nothing big planned here... Hubby & I are both off... and we BOth Hate all the traffic to go downtown to the fireworks so we will stay home and grill out.! Saturday we are hoping to have our yard sale.!!

Kellee

The 4th is my favorite holiday! We are going to Fontainebleau State Park for seafood fest and fireworks over the lake. Earlier in the day we are having a block party with lots of kids, food and games. The kids are doing a parade...decorating their bikes and wagons.

Should be fun if the rain stays away.

Do you have a great potato salad recipe? Or another type of salad recipe to share...

I found out Fred has Thursday off so I am going to make burgers on the grill. I wanted to make a nice salad to go with it.

I usually make a potato/egg salad but wondered if you all had something different to share. Pasta or rice based is okay too.

My friend invited us over...before she talked to her husband....who secretly made plans for them to go to Mammouth cave in Kentucky :banana: She felt silly for having to uninvite us, but I thought it was a really neat idea! Imagine a man making plans!

so now, we will hopefully have a nice quiet day....just a cookout and time in the pool! Hopefully I don't get called into work!

We are off to Florida to spend the weekend with some of my DH's academy friends. No, won't make it to the doll house nervana shop in Orlando or to the museum at Naples, (not enough time to drive further south) but will finally get to stop at a real live Hobby Lobby. Coming back on Sunday.

Dressing up for work. I work at a historical mansion so we are having a big reenactment. My mom has made me the most beautiful dress to wear so I will look the part. I only hope it won't be too hot out since I will be teaching little kids how to play historically accurate games...lot of running...outside...in petticoats.

We usually don't do anything on the fourth unless the kids are here, but this year we are going away for the weekend!!!

We are going to a lodge on a remote lake, (Nicatous Lodge), and going kayaking. We've had cold and fog for about a month on the island, and the weekend is supposed to be beautiful and warm, so we are really looking forward to it. No electricity, except for two hours in the morning, and two in the evening, and the camps are rough, but we don't mind.

I sort of wish we could see fireworks, but it is miles down the logging roads, and I wouldn't really like trying to find our way back in the dark.

Since it's so remote, it means there is very little boat traffic on the huge lake, and there are tons of sandy beaches. The nearest store is in a town called Burlington. It is so funny, because everything in it is about ten years old, including the cereal! We'll stock up on groceries in Ellsworth or Bangor. The last time we went, (two years ago), we figured we could get groceries in Howland or Enfield, and ended up with nothing but very very expensive canned tuna and tomato soup! There are no stores except a couple of convenience stores unless you drive all the way to Lincoln! (I guess it's not all that far, but we didn't know that at the time, and we had spent so much time looking for a store that we just wanted to get to the lodge).

This is the lake: http://nicatouslodge.com/lake.html

Do you have a great potato salad recipe? Or another type of salad recipe to share...

I found out Fred has Thursday off so I am going to make burgers on the grill. I wanted to make a nice salad to go with it.

I usually make a potato/egg salad but wondered if you all had something different to share. Pasta or rice based is okay too.

I'm trying to find my recipe for a really good salad with cole slaw mix and ramen noodles (and I think mandarin oranges), if you are interested.

Here it will be a very quiet day - like every other day! But there will be fireworks down on the lake we can see from the loft, and it will be nice........ We have no plans for company nor plans for any special meal.

I'm sure this is very boring! LOL

Nothing big planned here. We may cook out with the neighbors but that is about it. I hate going to downtown Savannah to see the fireworks because there is just way too many people and it seems to take hours to get out of there after the fireworks.

I plan on working on my Alexandria. I started painting some of the pieces last weekend and have to do a few touch ups here and there. I am hoping to start gluing and wiring in a couple weeks. So far so good.

Everyone have a great holiday.

Here's a slightly different version of a potato salad. Mummy has a recipe somewhere, but she's at work, so looked it up on the internet. So I haven't tried this recipe, but it sounds very similar to the one we use.

Baked Hot German Potato Salad - recipe says it serves 10, so you may want to halve it.

4 lb Potatoes

4 Strips bacon; chopped

1 c Onion, diced

1 c Celery, diced

3 tb All-purpose flour

1 1/3 c Water

2/3 c Cider vinegar

1/4 c Sugar

Salt

Freshly ground pepper

Cook the potatoes until just barely tender

Fry the bacon bits until crispy, keeping the fat (you can remove the bacon bits to a paper towel for draining with a slotted spoon)

Fry the onions and celery in the bacon fat for about a minute, sprinkle the flour over it and mix well. Add the water and vinegar and cook until the mixture thickens - will need to bubble a bit.

Add the sugar, salt and pepper.

Mix the bacon and potatoes in a casserole dish and pour over the dressing mix.

Cover and put it in the oven for about 30 minutes, stiring occasionally.

Variations: I don't like celery, so I leave that out. You could add chopped sausages or hotdogs to the dish. Adding mustard to the sauce is also delicious. You can mix in chopped pickles once it has finished baking. I'd make it with double the bacon probably, and some recipes suggest adding a little more vinegar - but don't know the quantities, so this recipe might already have more in than ours does.

You can also just make this up so it is warm and not bother putting it in the oven - might want to cook the potatoes a few minutes longer though to make sure they're tender.

You can serve it hot or cold, both are delicious, or you can make it ahead of time without the baking bit and then just stick it in the oven to bake/heat up just ahead of dinner.

Yummy, enjoy your 4th feasts everyone!

Muriel :banana:

Not really any exciting plans here. Greg's off on Friday and my in laws just came back from vacation so they said that the missed the kids and invited them to stay over starting today, if I allowed them. So I'm just planning a nice peaceful weekend and possibly working on my dh's while Greg does whatever he wants (probably sleep if I know him :banana: ).

I'm working that night. Hubby's going to takes the kids to the next street over where they can see the fireworks without having to get in the car and go.

Potato salad: Potatoes, eggs, Mayo, (I prefer Miracle Whip), pickle relish, and for some zip, brown mustard and some hot sauce.

Terri

img19.gif

Have a safe and fun weekend all!

Do not know what we are going to do. Fred is working and it looks like rain today. Natalie wants to do something but I do not know what to think of.