broke my dang toe today

ilovecats

I was walking in the bedroom today and my foot got tangled up in the blanket. I stepped wrong and broke my middle toe on my right foot. Anybody else accident prone? Please share your story...lol...

Gee Margarita...like you haven't had enough pain for one month...talk about insult to injury. I have done that before. So how many bad words came out of your mouth.... :banana:

Let's see-Accident prone-I kicked the vacuum cleaner 2 weeks ago and stubbed my toe.Last Tuesday I dropped a small container of frozen chili on my toe-you've seen what happened.The worst accident I ever had was 18 years ago when I spilled a container of boiling water on both of my feet-Ended up with second degree burns on both feet(1/2 my right and 3/4 of my left ).

The worst I did was when mowing the lawn Sunday...I mowed over not one...but TWO gigantic fire ant mounds. It wouldn't have been so bad except I was wearing clamdigger type pants that didn't fully cover my ankles and an old pair of sneakers. My ankles were so badly attacked, I thought I was going to end up in the ER with a reaction to the venom.

Fortunately, the itching and swelling has gone down...some.....I'm used to the funny looks I'm getting wearing socks in the middle of summer in Florida.

I had a roommate once who was a clean freak always cleaning and everything had its place. For some reason he left the vaccum out in the middle of the livingroom one night. I was walking thru the livingroom in the middle of the night to the bathroom. It was pitch black. I stubbed my toe on the vaccum and when I reached down to grab my toe I hit my eye on the handle and saw white. I ended up with a broke toe, and a black eye.

Ouch! They say the worst accidents happen in the home. I believe that! I broke several toes on our log bed. That sucker has legs almost 8 inches around and solid as a rock. Doug too has broken his toes on the danged bed! So see? Worst accidents in the home. I've fallen down the basement stairs twice now.....broke the leg in one, toes in the other. I've fallen over rocks in the yard - had 17 stitches in one shin....... Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Broken toes?? You KNOW if you broke your toe. It is 10x worse then stubbing your toe and the pain lasts for quite awhile.

We had a radiator in the kitchen when I was growing up and you had to pass by it near the door. The pipe that came up from the floor was rightthere. I have broken both pinky toes numerous times and they look like they belong to Frankenstein. If I think really hard, I have probably broken them all.

I had to laugh when Fred broke a toe last year. His first one ever. He told me that I was some kind of freak (joking) because the pain was awful and I would just toddle off like it was no big deal.

So sorry Marg...if you have never broken one before the pain can last a week or more. Try not to wear tight shoes.

I'm fairly fortunate in that I don't suffer injury often, even though I am sort of clutzy. I walked into the wing of a Cessna once, no harm done though. I spilled boiling syrup on my hand, lots of damage on that one I'm afraid.

The thing that drove me nuts though, was my nose. When I was a baby I fell off my parents' bed. They didn't realize it at the time, because it didn't look bad at all, but I broke my nose. When I grew up I worked for a surgical group, among whom were several world renown plastic surgeons. One of them fixed my nose and got rid of the bump I had always hated. A couple years later I was married and had a bouncing baby boy, who, while sitting on my lap decided to bounce straight up. His little head made contact with my nose I felt a crunch and intense pain. We had no insurance at that time and I just bore with it, my nose did look just a tiny bit crooked. Believe it or not, the little bugger got me in the nose a couple more times, though the last time my nose broke the other way and wound up straight.

But, the story doesn't end there.

Some years later I had a lovely little girl. She got me too. My nose has been a little crooked ever since. I figured why fight it. If I had gotten it fixed again I'm sure the third kid would have gotten me anyway. He used to like to come over to me when I was lying down and sit on my head, then laugh with glee because I couldn't get him off.

Marg!!! I am so sorry to hear about your Owie!! :( Take it easy dear. I am accident prone too. You know that dark thing that follows us around (Some call it a shadow, I cal mine a killer :) ) ? Well mine trips me every chance it gets! I trip over things without probable cause so I say it s my shadow.

sorry to here you broke your toe....I had a broke foot and arm....and how it happened was so funny...I had been shopping and when I got home and got out of my car...I passed out when I came to...I was in alot of pain...wishing you a speedy recovery Marg

Well, it's not as sore. I have broken 3 or 4 other toes before, so this isn't new. Just annoying...lol..

Almost worse than the pain of a broken toe is that brief interval of about three seconds between breaking it and having the pain reach your brain. It's just long enough for you to think, "Oh <insert profanity of your choice>, this is reeeeeeeeeeeally gonna hurt!" I always feel like such a moron when I drop something on my foot or slam my fingers in something. (last month it was a window) I mean, I know exactly where my fingers and toes are located......it's not like they've moved to a new location and I have to become accustomed to where they're at! They're right there where they've always been and yet I still can't manage to avoid putting them where they don't belong.

I'm glad you're feeling better Marg. This on top of a hysterectomy means that you've had your quota of pain for the next five years and from here on, your days are going to be filled with smiles and good things.

Deb

Sorry about your toe. I've done that before and boy does it hurt when you stub it against something!

I just broke my index finger at work yesterday. It got crushed between two things that it shouldn't have been inbetween. It could have came off completely, but it just kept fighting to stick with me!

Now its all black and blue.

Almost worse than the pain of a broken toe is that brief interval of about three seconds between breaking it and having the pain reach your brain. It's just long enough for you to think, "Oh <insert profanity of your choice>, this is reeeeeeeeeeeally gonna hurt!" I always feel like such a moron when I drop something on my foot or slam my fingers in something. (last month it was a window) I mean, I know exactly where my fingers and toes are located......it's not like they've moved to a new location and I have to become accustomed to where they're at! They're right there where they've always been and yet I still can't manage to avoid putting them where they don't belong.

I'm glad you're feeling better Marg. This on top of a hysterectomy means that you've had your quota of pain for the next five years and from here on, your days are going to be filled with smiles and good things.

Deb

Ouch on slamming your fingers in a window! I'll bet you had a few choice words yourself! Yah, I think i've had enough pain for awhile. Maybe I should bubble wrap myself...hehe

A number of years ago when I was in college I worked part time for a maid service. One day at the end of the day we were putting our supplies in the car and I had my whole right hand propped on the car (it was a hatch back). Well one of the other women didn't realize my hand was in the way and shut the hatch back. There are a couple of seconds when you stand there realizing what happened, registering the pain, then finding the words to get the person to hear, see and understand what just happened...and then another couple as she has to re-open the hatch. My gosh it hurt so bad as I was waiting for that hatch to open. the hatch had closed on my fingers halfway between the first and second knuckle. caught all 4 of them. It's weird to look at your own hand and see it shut in a door and to feel such awful pain at the same time. You feel like you're gonna pass out. It throbbed and the pain was just incredible. My fingers were smooshed so flat, there was an impression left in them for about a week. They stayed flat for that entire time. When we got back to the maid service owners house, I let her talk me into waiting to go to the ER (meaning that I didn't end up going). I never went back and worked for her again. I don't think my fingers were broken believe it or not, I didn't have any bruising or anything.

Sorry about your toe. I've done that before and boy does it hurt when you stub it against something!

I just broke my index finger at work yesterday. It got crushed between two things that it shouldn't have been inbetween. It could have came off completely, but it just kept fighting to stick with me!

Now its all black and blue.

Thanks :) Yes, when you keep re-injuring it you just sit there for a sec and grit your teeth!

Owie on your finger! I can just imagine the pain of a crush injury, it' s making me cringe! Did you go to the doctor and have it looked at? I think they will splint your finger. Oh and use ice! Hope you heal quickly and completely.

Ooh, toes and fingers!! Don't they get in the way! I have recently hooked my thumb in the handle of a fire door at work as I opened it to let a group of Managers from head office through, the door swung shut faster than I could move and crushed my thumb (I didn't make a sound, not with half of head office within earshot!!) It's still hurting, I have damaged the tendons and now it keeps partially dislocating, (it's really slowing up the building of my sf) :) I'll think twice before I open a door for anyone in future!! :(

Accident prone should be my middle name. My Dh gets a good laugh out of me at least two or three times a day. Last night I hit both feet on a wooden rocking chair that we have on our living room. On my way to my son's soccer practice last night I whacked my foot off of the rockers. Cut my foot and could hardly get my shoe on. Then last night going tobed I turned off the kitchen light and went to go upstairs, I hit my other foot off of the same rocker. Not as bad but it still hurt. I could hear my DH laughing as I put the "bluer" parts of the english language to the test. I swear though if there is something I could trip over I will trip over it no matter how careful I am.