Inspirational Words 7/6/08

Have you ever heard an saying that just inspired you to do something you would not have done had you not heard it? What was it? How did following those words make you feel?

I read a sentence in a book that gave me a push that I needed while I was doubting myself. The Sentence was: "If you have a dream, go after it. Life is too short for cowards". Well since reading that, I have jumped on the band wagon with my husband about an idea he has. I have also been reinspired to do a project that has been sitting waiting for me.

What about you? Do you have any words that inspired you to stop something that was reckless or start something challenging?

"Never put off to tomorrow what you can do today!" I live by this...life is much to short, things can happen in and instant and change your life forever.

"Nothing would be done at all if a person waited until she could do it SO well that no one would find fault with it!"

And then there is the quote from Joseph Campbell, which I've carried around in my wallet for years and years:

"If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living."

I learned this poem by Edgar Guest when I was in grade school and live by it.

It Couldn't Be Done

Somebody said that it couldn't be done,

But he with a chuckle replied

That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one

Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.

So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin

on his face. If he worried he hid it.

He started to sing as he tackled the thing

That couldn't be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you'll never do that;

At least no one ever has done it";

But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,

And the first thing we knew he'd begun it.

With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,

Without any doubting or quiddit,

He started to sing as he tackled the thing

That couldn't be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,

There are thousands to prophesy failure;

There are thousands to point out to you one by one,

The dangers that wait to assail you.

But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,

Just take off your coat and go to it;

Just start to sing as you tackle the thing

That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.

Deb

Christian Missionary and Martyr, Jim Elliott "He is no fool who gives what he canot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

My mother "don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

-Susanne

Life can be so good, if you only let it. Happiness is a choice, love is also a choice.

Don't let others dictate your behavior.

And my favorite from my mother, be careful what you ask for--you may get it.

I've always loved this one ever since I heard it about 13 years ago...Courage is not the absence of fear. It is going on in spite of it.

And here's another one. This one was such a help to me after 1st hubby and I split...the one where there was domestic violence in the relationship all the time.

There are worse things than being alone.

Thanks to friend Danny for that one. Even though we haven't talked in almost 4 years, I still consider him a friend and will never forget him.

Terri

Oh my gosh, Deb.....my daughter learned the very same poem in grade school and was and still is forever reciting it.....small world....

Elicia

a-glueing and a pickin' in South Carolina

"Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself" - I don't think you can ever go wrong on that one. I may not always follow it, but it certainly has always followed me..just something that was ingrained from a very early age and still seems to ring true.

I'm going to add a couple of more...Don't sweat the small stuff. I don't mean minis there. LOL

And one I learned from my sister...It's a low wall, get over it. Meaning that I was letting something bother me that shouldn't.

• 1 month later...