Inspirational Words 7/6/08

GREAT question!! :D

When I was studying Theatre in Toronto, my Movement Instructor told us to keep in mind that, "You Get Out What You Put In." Meaning, that if we gave 100% to the work, we would get 100% back - if we only worked at ten percent capacity, we would only achieve ten percent. I think the Biblical parallel would be, "You reap what you sow". (Not religious myself, but I certainly was taught to be!)

You get out what you put in. I found that this simple sentence was a good one to live my life by. If you put yourself into something heart and soul, it will be meaningful, and probably successful. I told my 8 - 12 year old theatre students this motto. Some of them got it, some of them didn't. I hope the ones that didn't get it then, will remember the sentence, and perhaps someday they will "get it".

Another one (also a theatre-related saying) is K.I.S.S. Translates to; Keep It Simple, Stupid! I use this one as a follow-up to You Get Out What You Put In. If I find myself getting tangled up in something because I've made it too complicated, I "KISS" it - I pare back to the essentials, and find it works better.

Deb, I love the poem you related! I'd never come across it before - but I LIKE it!! B)

• 4 months later...

It would be the serenity prayer for me:

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Never heard this part before, but when I googled the words, the entire prayer came up.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

My Mother told me this one and it is my favorite. My sister in law ask me one time, why I was always working on something, do you just like to keep busy? She doesn't have any hobbies at all. I just can't imagine just sitting around not ever doing anything. I would go nuts if I wasn't creating something.

My Grandmother from Ireland told me years ago when I was five or so, "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop." I think I've kept busy ever since. :wub:

• 3 months later...

It's hard to pinpoint one specific piece of advice that was helpful, but I really like this one:

"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit." -- Napoleon Hill

So true, in so many areas of life -- including minis! :wub:

my momma used to say "if you don't STOP crying, I'll give you something to cry ABOUT!"

This was interchangeable with the Summer vacation trouble of "If you don't find something to do, I'M Gonna find you something to do!" (and believe me, this would be nothing that a grade school kid would WANT to do, like sweep out the un-airconditioned attic in summer..in SC!)

but my truly favorite is:

"If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,

and from thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,

sell one and with the dole

buy hyacinths to feed thy soul"

Moslith Eddin Saadi

love that thought!