One Thing You Won't Spend Your Money on. 7/9/08

Well I've gotten to the point where I won't spend money on minis I'm perfectly capable of making myself. The only reason I used to buy pens is that my handwriting was so small I needed a fine-point to write with. Since I now write large enough to see, the free pens are perfectly acceptable. It amazes me how many of the pens we're using now started out in a parking lot somewhere.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I won't buy clothing that isn't on sale. We haven't had cable TV for 25 years (we don't watch TV), and I don't buy a print newspaper anymore (I get news online from several reputable sites.)

For years my dad has refused to buy coffee in restaurants.

I won't buy clothing that isn't on sale. We haven't had cable TV for 25 years (we don't watch TV), and I don't buy a print newspaper anymore (I get news online from several reputable sites.)

For years my dad has refused to buy coffee in restaurants.

Me as well. I have not watched TV in maybe 17 years. I feel more sober minded. LOL

We don't do cable TV or newspapers, either. No new books, either (unless they're by my old friend, Lucia St Clair Robson), nor magazines, nor DVDs.

I only get the news online as well, Holly. By not watching TV, reading newspapers and books, it leaves more time for us to do our minis!!

• Like 1

I don't pay for cable. I bought a Leaf TV antenna - made in the USA and paper thin. It hangs on the wall behind the bookcase and gets free air TV. I get the major stations and a smattering of others...works for me!

I also don't pay for manicures or pedicures...I do it all myself! :D

I borrow a lot of media from the library - magazines, audiobooks, bound books, CDs, movies...they even carry Blu-Ray movies now.

• Like 2

I'm all about the free audio book downloads (legally) available online, I've caught up on a lot of classics while making minis. I don't cut my own hair, but will color it myself.

I try to be realistic about what I am capable of creating myself in miniature, and if I think I can then I won't buy it. It's usually more cost effective to buy the materials,try it once, and see if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I don't refuse to spend money on anything. But I don't pay full price for anything! I refuse. If they can put it on "sale" then I think that is the price it should have been all along. I coupon and ONLY when they double the coupon and most of the time the food, personal care items, etc. in my house are FREE! I am not the crazy couponers you see on TV but I could be considered close. I won't use shelf brand shampoos, I am a Pro line girl, but I won't pay full price for it either, I am a cosmetologist now with a license to buy at the supply houses so I watch their sales and stock up when they have 50-75% off sale. So I get it for about 5% of the salon price.

I even bought all my dollhouses with 40% or more off coupons. (except CL rescue but even then I talked them down over $100 for it)

KA

Wow, this thread has been on-going for awhile.

We don't do cable. Anything you can get on cable, you can find on the internet.

I refuse to buy name brand toilet paper when the generic is the same thing for $'s less.

We are big penny pinchers and we try to be frugal. Not much in my house was bought, it was mostly free stuff or discounted in stores. The most I paid for the few pieces of furniture I did buy was a little over $100.00 for my chiffarobe. The store was closing and I had been watching it for over a year. I couldn't let my $280.00 desire get away (LOL). Even my wicker furniture set was all free! Found on the side of the road (at different locations). The only thing I haven't found for the set is a coffee table, but I got 2 rockers, a peacock chair and a loveseat. I had a planter and a shelf, but sadly they no longer exist. And my vintage all wood table was free, too.

I spend very little on myself. My kids and family come first. One item I refuse to give up is Red Rose tea. I like the flavor and as a bonus they include ceramic miniature figurines. I'll buy generic tea for making iced tea, etc.

I was surprised to see so many folks who had many of the same ideas I do about things and prices. There are so many things on here I agree with. Jeans that cost more then $10.00 - ridiculous, shoes over $15.00 (not for me, I buy used or get them, and clothes, free), makeup is useless (God made me the way I am, it's what's in my heart that matters, not how much $ I can throw away to please someone who doesn't want to know who this person is besides looks), generic foods are just as good if not better then brand name, and the list goes on....

I penny pinch and price compare and shop second hand whenever and where ever possible. Rarely do we pay full price for anything if we can find it cheaper or free elsewhere. I have said that if I ever came into money, I'd still be penny pinching (even on a new-to-me vehicle) and living like I am broke. I can't see wasting money on things when you don't need to. If you are meant to have it, it will come to you. It may take awhile, but it will come to you at a price you can afford. Free is usually best! I had always wanted a wicker set, but refused to pay the prices. The pieces came to me, for free, in time.

I do splurge a little on my mini's/dollhouses, but even then I price compare and shop frugal, make things when I can, and collect usable things to make with.

I have been known to walk away from something I wanted really bad because it was more then I was willing to spend. Whined about it for days after (lol), but told myself it just wasn't for me or wasn't meant to be.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I colour and cut my own hair. I buy mostly Sale items - online, since I don't go out - otherwise I rely on eBay and Amazon UK. I pay up-front for Amazon Prime which is around £50 per year and as such is excellent value. Next day delivery! Not the cheapest place to buy but the second-hand book selection is fabulous (I've bought so many doll's house books!) and the Amazon Marketplace 'used' items are often terrific value.

I used to have cable but could no longer afford it so I just watch terrestrial TV. I pay too much for broadband and land-line telephone - not as cheap here as in the USA/Canada. I also have a mobile (cell) phone on monthly contract and, since last spring, a smartphone (woo hoo!).

Two benefits from our move to the ruralmost hinterlands of SW AL is getting rid of the landline; we have a no-frills cell phone with NO contract; it's a Tracphone, so we only buy minutes every year; and we have a reasonable wifi hookup that is ONLY computer, no "extras". Living, as we do, between Pensacola and Mobile, we have a nice choice of over-the-air TV, the rare shows we watch; and thrift stores are an excellent source of DVDs, so long as you check the condition of the discs. The raunchiest discs we own (scratches, etc) came in new, sealed packages from the store.

• 2 weeks later...

Um I won't spend money on anything...... If it is free, cheap, used, on sale, at the goodwill, whatever- I'm game! And if I can make it or do it myself, I REALLY won't spend money on it. just about every piece of furniture in my full sized house (LOL) was a hand me down, goodwill, or off a curb. My clothes are from goodwill- I have gotten Ann Taylor suits for $7, almost new pants and dresses there for near nothing. If it's not on sale I don't buy it. On sale with coupon even better.....

And for the person who won't spend money on fancy underwear- Just don't wear any! That's sexy as is! LOL!!!

• Like 3

I'm with Gloria-I gave up cable 18 years ago-and my then small children didn't feel 'deprived' of it at all their whole childhood and I still have plenty to watch on television. I haven't missed out on anything of importance. I've used rabbit ears all that time and get all the stations I need to-even in my rural area. I already had a digital-ready television when the change came,so that was no big deal and didn't cost me anything extra. Sable has the right idea-stop and add it up,you'll see. I won't/can't put half that much into entertainment. More for minis! :D

We had cable in OH because where we lived there were no "local" stations and we lived 'way out in the boonies (no surprise). Our apartment in Tallahassee came with cable. When we moved to the Havana area we invested in a C-band big dish and bought annual packages of the stations we wanted for around USD$100/ year; at one point we got the digital decoder and were able to get everything on Discovery. When lightning finally ate our system it was just before the cable companies and small dish companies destroyed C-band forever, so we put up a tower antenna and were able to receive signals from Panama City and Dothan as well as Tallahassee. Where we are now, like Kat we receive all the TV we can stand with just our rabbit ears and occasionally a bit of aluminum foil.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I won't buy a television, we haven't had one for years.

i never go to hairdressers, my friend does my hair.

And lastly I won't buy olls for my dollshouse, I don't like them. I like them furnished and decorated but definitely no dolls.

• Like 2

I'm amazed to see so many like-minded thrifty types! We buy a lot of things second hand; if not then it's on sale. Craig's List is great for so many things. We do pay for Netflix, but at $7/month for streaming, I consider it a terrific bargain. We've never had cable and don't rent movies anymore! (Plus, lots of great BBC shows are on Netflix.) :tv_happy:

When it comes to miniatures, I have not been able to bring myself to buy dollhouse wallpaper -- I've been happy with printing my own and can't see spending money on it. Maybe if I were building a very formal house and wanted something embossed... but probably not even then! (I would figure out how to make it!)

Edited by JackieS
  • Like 2

Holly wins the prize for the best answer!

I refuse to buy dryer sheets...unfortunately Fred buys them out of his pocket. But I found out something about them. If you carry a couple dryer sheets in your pockets when you go out at dusk..it repels mosquitoes. I should give that idea a try.

Well now, guess who is going to go out and buy some dryer sheets. Last year I went to several park concerts, and no matter how much insect repellant I used, I still managed to get bit.

I have to say, I am really impressed at how many of you do not purchase cable or don't have TV at all. I can honestly say that you are not missing anything, as a lot of what my family is paying for is either repetitive news, biased politcal arguments, mundane reality shows, or lame sitcoms. I sometimes wish I could do without TV, but when something becomes ingrained into your lifestyle, the thought of going without it is scary.

I will say this, though. If I was moving and only had room in my new place for ether my dollhouse or my TV, I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to leave the TV behind.

• Like 2

We use antennas and pull in the network stations and sometimes PBS , but I refuse to pay for cable . At least 90% of what we own was bought second hand , and I am waiting for good weather to get here for yard sales to start again. When we do buy something new I always look for where we can get it the cheapest and go with the best deal. And Dollar General and Dollar Tree are my favorite stores , lots of bargains to be found and that leaves some money left for minis. :)

• Like 1