One Thing You Won't Spend Your Money on. 7/9/08

Wow,I knew that you and I think alot alike,Stacey,but I could have written your post,exactly word-for-word! :D It's so unfair we are just about a continent apart!!

Kat, you and Stacey are my heroes (or should that be heroines).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I though I have posted here but can't find it.

Sowwww.. I don't drink alcohol so won't spend anything on that and candy... pay when you buy it and a few months later at the dentist, no thanks.

Basswood is obeche, isn't it? Perhaps you could do as well dealing with a regular hobby shop or art supply store? Those are my favorite sources for basswood on this side of the pond.

Obeche or obechi comes from the obeche tree (Triplochiton scleroxylon) of west Africa. Also called arere, samba. Mainly used for veneering. Seems to have characteristics similar to basswood - close grained, soft, creamy color

It's just me and the two furbabies in the house, so if I really want something, I generally pick it up. However, the one thing I do try to go "bargain" on is clothes. I need to dress professionally for work, and I like to look nice all the time, but spending department store prices is not my thing. I was over the moon when a lovely consignment shop opened up just up the street from me a couple of years ago. Now my closet is filled with Talbots, Coldwater Creek, Anne Klein, etc. and I can afford to splurge on the more important luxuries - stuffies for the kitties and Dooney and Bourke bags for me. ;)

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to avoid anything made in China. Now I'm finding out the Chinese bamboo flooring in my beach cottage is tainted with Formaldehyde and will have to be ripped up. I always wondered what the smell was. To replace it with tile is going to cost over $10k. I'm not happy right now.

Perhaps check the outgassing timeline and see if you are past the problem window of time before making such a huge investment.

Years ago we discovered a problem with an insulation we had used many years before that. We were looking into loans to fix the problem and were quite overwhelmed and discouraged. This all before the ease of internet research.

Long story short, after thoroughly studying and checking, we discovered that we were out if the time period of concern and had already done the damage that would occur. It wouldn't fix anything to start over at the point we discovered it.

The problem is the house is a vacation home so it's locked up most of the time. The ac runs but fresh area doesn't get in so when we first open the door--POW. I'm always congested the first night. Now I know why.

My clothes smell of it when I unpack my suitcases after we return.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

wrapping paper. To me, spending my hard-earned money on paper that is going to be ripped up and thrown away is incredibly stupid, and wasteful in general.

I enjoy finding alternative ways to conceal gifts: magazine pages, newsprint, wallpaper scraps that people have given me, even vintage scarves.

I even have a FB page about it: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gift-Wrapping-by-Erin/203438439703282?fref=ts

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I will not spend money on anything I do not need. I am not tight but I see so many people who spend money for therapy etc, I hate advertisments where they try to make you buy something because it is the latest thing. If I do not have a need for something I simply wont buy it. I do not drink, smoke or wear makeup. I do not do holidays because I can think of a hundred other things to throw money at that would leave me with more of a memory than just 2 weeks in the sun!. If I spend money there has to be something solid and memorable about it.