02/14/06 Favorite Stories

LPCullen

My favorite is The Dragon of Og by Rumer Godden. I have read the story twice when I was in the 5th or 6th grade. I liked it because I felt the dragon was being picked on. At the time I related to the dragon. Its was out of print the last time I checked. I want to buy a copy for my girls. Okay, its really for me.

What is your very favorite childhood story, and why is it your favorite?

If you mean book stories, my very favorite was Joanna Spyri's Heidi because I related so much better to my grandparents than to my mother & stepfather.

If you mean personal stories, probably the one my mother used to tell (I was 3)about bringing my aunt & two cousins back to Ohio after spending a couple of weeks visiting my uncle who was stationed with the Navy somewhere in Iowa. I do remember being bundled into the car in the middle of the night! Mother was driving & as we were tootling along my aunt suddenly asked, "If we're headed east, why is the sun coming up in the back window?"

I'm not too sure why she told me that story, because she really had a lousy sense of direction & denied it to the bitter end! (Which is why I treasure that one :) )

I'd have to say "Heidi" too. I loved the idea of going to live with my Grandmother (in my case) and living happy and carefree at her house. She had a beautiful garden and flower borders everywhere and a big 'ol rain barrel.

Well, I hate to say this, but I can't remember the actual name of the book, but it was a story about a girl and a unicorn. My middle sister used to read it to me all the time when I was about 3-5 years old. I loved her reading me that story!

My favorite story when I was in Kindergarten & 1st grade was A Snowy Day & A Pocket For Corduroy .

When I was in 6th grade I was in love with The Forgotten Door This is what it is about forgotten door

My other favorite book that year was Tuck Everlasting Book description

I read so many books that it is almost hard to say what my favorite one was because I loved them so much.

Fifth Grade Magic was a great book too.

I Loved Encyclopedia Brown books too Boy detective and there were lots of book were you could choose your own ending (You know it had like 5 different endings and you got to choose what you would do and then it said if you would do option "A" turn to page 15 but if you would do option "B" then turn to page 25 . I read a lot as a kid because my parents read a lot to us and bought us books all of the time.

My favorite childhood books are "Alice in Wonderland", "The Secret Garden" and Michael Ende's "Momo" and "The Neverending Story". I also loved everything by Astrid Lindgren like "Pippi Longstocking" and "Ronja the Robber's Daughter". :) One of my first favorite books was "Lollo" by the Austrian writer Mira Lobe. It's a lovely story with many images for young children about a little doll and about friendship.

post-130-1139943090.jpg

Mine was "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I had the hardcover with the beautiful Tasha Tudor illustrations. I didn't realize until I read it again as an adult how much it influenced me in the way that I handle hardship, the way I treat other people and the way that I use my imagination to make things seem real. Fro those who haven't read it, it's about a little girl who goes from being very rich and spoiled by her doting widowed father to being starving, orphaned and treated as a servant in the same exclusive girls school where she used to be a student, and how she handles herself "like a little princess" by keeping her dignity and composure until her circumstances finally change. Even when she was spoiled, she was still kind and treated the servants and younger children well, and her friendship with one of the scullery maids is what keeps her from despair. She doesn't sink to the level of those who are mistreating her.

My favorite story as a kid was The Secret Garden. I loved Colin and Dickin. Every spring when the trees and shrubs are starting to bud out, I thinkof Dickin explaing to them about the garden wicken up and coming back to life.

I think it would make a great mini setting with the secret door hidden by ivy.

terri