I missed it but 1 dollar

nechee

I was bidding on a Duracraft Farmhouse 500 kit on Ebay. I was the high bidder all the way up until 3 hours before the bidding ended and then someone outbid me :) . I could not go any higher as my husband would have killed me(he did not know that I was bidding on this) Hopefully another one comes up that I actually win. I have been looking for this house for a while now and this is the first time I seen it in kit form on ebay.

I know it's not right, but to win anything on ebay I've found you really need to snipe. I don't buy anything anymore, but I've always been outbid in the last minute and have to constantly update and outbid in order to get something.

On a happy note, I'm getting a Farmhouse 505 in the mail today. Yay! It's coming while I'll be at work. This is my dream kit so I'm so excited. I could live with no other kits but this one. But that doesn't mean I'm throwing away the others. :)

Sorry you didn't win...

That's why I use auctionsniper for all my ebay auctions. It's an awesome program and I rarely ever lose an auction when I use it. Also, it helps to save you money on the item which is great for you as the buyer, not so great for the seller though.

I know it's not right, but to win anything on ebay I've found you really need to snipe. I don't buy anything anymore, but I've always been outbid in the last minute and have to constantly update and outbid in order to get something.

On a happy note, I'm getting a Farmhouse 505 in the mail today. Yay! It's coming while I'll be at work. This is my dream kit so I'm so excited. I could live with no other kits but this one. But that doesn't mean I'm throwing away the others. :)

Actually there is nothing wrong with sniping. You're still bidding on an item and you are all bidding on an auction. Whether you put your bid in 7 days or 1 second before the auction has ended doesn't matter. Whoever wants to pay the most money for the item is the winner. Even if you snipe an auction, there is no guarantee that you will win. The last bidder may have a high $ amount as their top bid. I don't usually bid on auctions because people get into a bidding war. I snipe for a couple of reasons: 1) no bidding war between me and another person, I can't stand the stress of it...lol... (2) to keep costs down...if you get in a bidding war with someone you are driving up the cost of the item. I know sellers love that but I don't. :( If the seller wants more money for the item they should either be starting at a higher start price or just make it a buy it now IMHO :blink:

Congrats on the 505! I have 2 of them....I bid on one and finally won it... after losing out on many of them. Anyway after I received the kit I realized that someone had started to build it and took it apart and put it back in the box. I'm not even sure if the kit is complete. I was bummed out about it. About a month or so later, I just happened to look on ebay at the "ending soonest" items and there was another 505 with 3 minutes remaining. I was the only bidder. The kit looks complete! I'm going to hang onto the first kit just in case I need spare parts. So that is how I ended up with 2 of them. I love the curved corner front steps on this house, that is why i was obsessed with getting that house!

I wait until the very last minute to bid too - but only because I'm paranoid someone is bidding his buddy's item up for the extra dough... harder to do that at the last minute.

Are you sure you only missed it by a buck? My understanding is the winning bid displayed is just listing one dollar over the previous bid - regardless of how much that person actually WENT over the previous bid. So it might show you with a $35.00 final bid and them with $36.00... but they may have actually entered a bid of $50... but they only have to pay a dollar over the previous bidder.

Tell me more about this auctionsniper. Is it trustworthy? How does it work? I always try to bid on things and at the last second get outbid. This sounds like something I want to try.

Basically you tell it how much you're willing to pay for the item, but it doesn't record your bid ON eBay, just on the program itself. Then in the last seconds of the auction, it automatically places your bid on eBay and you win! I've lost only a couple of times because another person bid just a little higher than I did...that's why I usually place my bid pretty high, to ensure I win the item.

It's very reliable. As I said, I rarely lose an auction.

I hate when that happens! I didn't even know what sniping was until last weekend. I was always getting outbid, so I googled "How to win ebay auctions" There were a lot of tips, and what sniping is. I was bidding on the Duracraft Heritage, and ended up winning, even though I got mixed up on the ending time. I thought I still had another hour, so when I logged on it said I won! A good suprise!

I did see a Duracraft Victorian on craigslist for $20.00, but it was gone immediately, and right after, I then I saw the exact one on ebay for almost $70.00, from the same area! I could kick myself for not jumping on it, but I'm happy for the seller being able to make a profit.

What is auctionsniper?

I wait until the very last minute to bid too - but only because I'm paranoid someone is bidding his buddy's item up for the extra dough... harder to do that at the last minute.

Are you sure you only missed it by a buck? My understanding is the winning bid displayed is just listing one dollar over the previous bid - regardless of how much that person actually WENT over the previous bid. So it might show you with a $35.00 final bid and them with $36.00... but they may have actually entered a bid of $50... but they only have to pay a dollar over the previous bidder.

That's how it works. They could have bid a lot more but still get it for just a dollar more than the last bid. I'm always afraid to put in a really big amount hoping to get it for just the dollar more at the close. You never know what the others are bidding.

I almost always snipe. People get complacent when they don't see any action on an auction. They think their safe. I like to lie in wait, then come in when there's only about 30-45 seconds left. This usually means if other bidders are actually paying attention, they still won't have time to respond.

I will occassionally bid on items early on as well. The key is to decide the absolute max you'd be willing to pay for an item if you saw it in a store. I take that amount, subtract the shipping fees that are going to be charged, then put that in as my maximum bid and stick to it. The key to success on ebay is patience. If you lose out on one auction, chances are an auction for a similar item is already going on, or will be soon. Never get into bidding wars. You may get caught up in the moment, and end up paying more than you would if you got the item brand new from a regular retailer! And I try to avoid the sellers who appear to be padding their shipping costs, based on principal alone.

I accidentally found http://www.esnipe.com/ one day and explored it just for fun. I've been using it ever since, and I too rarely lose an auction. You copy the number of the ebay item you want to bid on, then go to esnipe. Put in the number and the amount you are willing to spend. Don't use whole numbers, use an odd number of cents such as $16.76. Esnipe records your bid and doesn't transfer it to Ebay until about seven seconds before the auction ends. If your bid is high enough, you are guaranteed a win. No one can bid faster than those last seconds. They even send you an email if someone has put in a higher bid and there is time for you to up your amount. I've had very good luck.

I'm not allowed to go on ebay, and it's just as well. I would have gone into a severe depression if I could not get what I wanted. But cheer up, you'll find a better one in the future.