What is Trigger Thumb?

Wolfie

Went and looked thank you. I do not have the "clicking" associated with that problem. I only know that sometimes I get a horrible pain not in the thumb itself, but in the part of the hand that the thumb extends from.

Thank you for the information though. I don't think it is that. I can't get an appointment without the doctor knowing what symptoms I am experiencing. The pain does go away, but that area is very tender and sore usually.

Hi Gina,

I have had a similar problem (pain that shoots up the thumb to the area above) for many years. Also difficult to apply heavy pressure with thumb. Usually doesn't affect normal grasping or holding but can be painful. Notice it most after I have been doing if I have been doing knitting, cross stitch or anything that requires an heavier grasp of object for an extended period of time. Dr says it is arthritis and just take the usual med. Don't know if that is what is affecting you but mine can be uncomfortable and a nuisance.

Beverly, that sounds just like my problem. It is hard to apply heavy pressure with both thumbs. It is most painful, sometimes nothing, and other times extreme pain. I dropped one of my good 9x13 glass pans the other day because my hands just went numb. Didn't break thankfully, but I thought it was going to. I don't take any meds of any kind, but will begin taking some naproxin I think.

Thanks for your help! I knew I could depend on my favorite forum to help me out!

I hope it helps, but I would have my Dr check it out to be safe next time you make the trip into town. I know for you it is a major distance to go and you have to "group" your errands efficiently. Thank goodness the weather is getting warmer and snow is now longer a problem. I hope the smoke drifting in from California clears out soon! My sister lives in Susanville, CA and I worry about them all the time.

Gina and Bev, your pains sounds a lot like carpal tunnel thingy or atleast that is how it was for me prior to my operation almost ten years ago... :) Oooops has it been s o long since that?!?

He did a little something when he greeted me, first he "shook" hand normally ie just lightly grasping aorund my hand with mu thumb on topof his, you know, normal LOL and then he grasped my whole hand with his, holding my thumg within his so to speak and then gnetly bent it, I could have winged him with my left.... As a leftie that is my preferred choice of winging someone anyways...

Hope you do get it checked out though!

Hugs

I was worried initially that was the problem, with my early computer days catching up with me. Thank goodness it was arthritis so no surgery was necessary. I manage the pain with plain old ibeprohen extra strength when it hits. Usually do the trick.

I hope it helps, but I would have my Dr check it out to be safe next time you make the trip into town. I know for you it is a major distance to go and you have to "group" your errands efficiently. Thank goodness the weather is getting warmer and snow is now longer a problem. I hope the smoke drifting in from California clears out soon! My sister lives in Susanville, CA and I worry about them all the time.

Wolfie, yes it sound like arthritis, is it at the joints? maybe "wear and tear" arthritis. From what I have studied it affects women in the hands first. Please go see your doctor, he may prescribe antiinflammatories. I am not diagnosing I am just sharing, as we all know I have not graduated yet.

Starfire, the smoke out here in Susanville has not been too bad, it looks overcast in the morning but usually is pretty leared out by afternoon. They are recommending that people with respiratory disorders stay inside unless neccessary. It is Really thick in Reno, the air is aweful there. I was by your sisters book store last week. She is such a sweet lady, must run in the family! :):D

Hi Wolfie, I get the same stabbing pain in my joint just below the thumb. One day I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hold onto my baby granddaughter. Exedrin helps sometimes. Also heat gives me some relief. When I use my dremel I rest my upper wrist on the warm part and it feels really good. My mother used to run very hot water on her hands. Doc says arthritis.

I thought it might have been carpel tunnel. I have typed and typed fast all of my life from the time I was 12 years old. First on an old Royal manual and then in the 60's along came electric typewriters and then computers after that. I thought it might be carpel tunnel catching up with me, but knowing some folks here who have had the operations for that, they say the pain is not the same, so I'm inclined to think it is arthritis. Today I was doing stucco on a project, and was doing just fine, then the hands pained so I had to put every6thing away. I have bad habits at night when I sleep. I soemtimes lay on my hands/arms. Also I sleep in a very cold room and keeping the hands warm is only by sleeping on them. But the weakness that comes on so suddenly scares me. I'm glad I wasn't holding a child when I dropped my big glass dish....or a dollhouse or some such. Scary.

I have to call and make an appointment to see my doctor and will be adding this to my list of questions.......

• 3 weeks later...

I have excruciating pains stabbing through several of my finger joints, but the ones I get at the base of my thumbs (L more than R, although I'm righthanded for most tasks) hurt more like bonespurs that regular osteoarthitis. Growing old is definitely an adventure. Every morning I get up I thank Our Lord for what all still works.

I have arthritis in my thumb areas......they are now swollen and painful. The doctor says to take Iboprofen.......I don't take meds I said......he said in a few weeks you will.....we argued....I reminded him that I have a high pain threshold....we arued some more.....I came home with a bottle of iboprofen....but that doesn't mean I will open it!

Was at ER this afternoon for a while.......

Getting old is not for sissies!

DH began taking one Aleve twice a day for general aches & pains, so a few months ago I started taking one with breakfast (along with the extra calcium & joint supplement first doses) and I'm still waiting to notice a difference in the joint pain.