Sold a dollhouse NOT

alycemina

Well, the woman who barged into my studio a couple of weeks ago saying she had to have a dollhouse and I agreed to sell her a really nice farm house and finish to her specks has blown me off. I did finish it and like it so much I am going to keep it. This is why I dont want to deal with the public. Next time (like never) I will ask for a large deposit, but I really only want to do dh for me and if want to sell, will put them up for sale in craigslist or on consignment or something.

I too am somewhat upset and out of sorts with the public.......I won't build dollhouses to sell anymore that is for sure! I hate having people say they want something and give you all of the specs they want, and then call and cancel. I can't deal with that anymore. I pour my heart and soul into my projects - either for "the public" or for myself.

Too much hassle!

Deposits would definitely work. But I wouldn't be surprised if she shows up in two weeks with a poor me I'm so sorry I couldn't get back sooner, I definitely still want it sort of thing.

I don't think the general public realizes the blood, sweat and tears that go into these houses :rolleyes: , not to mention the time and money...

I am so sorry you are experiencing this...but in my opinion, if she acted in this manner, she doesn't deserve one of your creations! Keep it and enjoy it for yourself - your effort - your gain!

It's a shame how some people think that because you are in the business of doing dollhouses that it's just a game. Most times, those types of folks are a rare breed and the majority of people are honest and trust worthy. Don't let one person spoil it for you, cause there is money to be made this way. I am sorry that you had to experience this though.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this...but in my opinion, if she acted in this manner, she doesn't deserve one of your creations! Keep it and enjoy it for yourself - your effort - your gain!

Ditto!

Im so sorry this happened to you. Thats why I build dollhouses for myself. So many poeple that have seen my houses ask me if I sell them and I always say no. I have been able to sell a couple but they have been already made and I sold them to make room.

I think that if I ever get into this business, I plan on only selling the small houses, ready made. If I ever get a custom order for a large house, they have to give an upfront, non refundable deposit of half the selling price. That way I know all of my matierals are covered and I wouldnt have any out of pocket expense for the building the house. They can take it or leave it on those terms. If they dont like it, they can build it themselves. Unfortunately this is the only way to deal with the public.

Thats the way all other types of work are performed, then why not dollhouses too? Everytime you hire someone to fix or make something for you, they want half the price, up front, as a deposit.