Planning the next house

THmini2

I have a Bellingham Farmhouse from a friend,. She had done most ot the outside work. Built, painted, ect. But the inside is a clean slate. I am thinking about longer kitchen cabnets (longer doors on them). I know that most of the farmhouses didn't have alot of cabnets/ cupboards at least my grandparents or my uncles didn't. I am also thinking about the chrome/steel kitchen set. I don't think I will have the big dining room that my grandparents place had. I might put up a plate shelf along one wall near the ceiling like GP's. That's my ideas so far. Any other idaes would be apprieated. Probably will be my winter project. I have top finish my HBS contest first and have a little bit to do on the Newburg.

Sounds like some solid ideas. I remembr the rounded look of the appliances. also At my home and my grandparents a lot of canning went on. Of both fruit and vegitables. In the fiftys tv was just spreading amoung the common families. Those first sets were rounded also. Early 60's the applicances were green or gold. Lots of possibilities. My grandma still had a wood stove in the fifties. I hated it when that was replaced.

The 50's and 60's shouldn't be hard for me but all I can remember is TV's were mostly large consoles. Dishwashers were top opening if you even had one and stoves were either what people had left over from earlier times like the Roper range or larger gas ranges. Refrigerators were just starting to have freezers on top. The kitchen tables with the formica tops and vinyl chairs were common. I take Reminisce magazine and they have lots of pictures that help when trying to create a certain time period. I've been a subscriber since the first issue years ago. I remember the green, gold and coppertone appliances and shag carpet was common. Hope you find all the things you want for your house.

In the 50's the favourite colours for upholstered chairs/sofas was either turquoise or red. Plastic was a new material and used quite extensively (and garrishly). Kitchen sets were steel tube framed with formica tops. They were very sturdy for the larger families of that era.

TV's and stereos were console models. Draperies were quite heavyweight, but went lighter (and added sheers) into the 1960's.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos. Oh, did I mention that I was a small child in the 50's.

-Susanne

My wonderful Grandma had a "pink" stove, electric with a row of white buttons across the back that when you pushed them down they had a different colored light behind each one (fascinating to a young girl!! :p ) - and it had the "warming drawer" - I thought that was quite "posh" back then! :( Her countertops were pink with the "metal edging" and she always had "violets in pots" on the windowsills..lots of colored glass items placed on the top of window casings, white eyelet valances - and I always remember the china used for everyday was a pink "rose" pattern similar to "toile" - at our house we were lucky if anything was "matched" :D The only other thing I can really recall that was really 50's-60's was the fact that furniture in rooms never seemed "matched" - lots of patterns, and color was always "big" - turquoise, pink, etc...(guess women cared less about making the "guys" feel like his home was "his" :lol: )

I'm sure your house will be great fun to do and cannot wait to see your progress!!

Chris

My mother fell in love with chartreuse in the 50's. She painted the living room that shade of yellow green in almost every house we lived in. We sisters now refer to it as "that green" and won't have it. It's a hot color now and my 20 something daughter loves it.

Another very hot color combo in the mid fifties was rose and gray. My father picked out some pink paint without consulting my mother and she was very ticked off about it for a long time.

You can see a few 50's pix on my picasa sitehttp://picasaweb.google.com/grazhe

But frankly, having been born in 1951, I can tell you that none of my friends' parents houses looked anything like many of what we think of as 50's til the 60's. Their houses all looked more like the 40's rooms.

We had the chrome table and chairs with a gray sort of marbley top and I think we had the yellow vinyl. My mother finally got rid of it in the early 70's. She replaced her Crosley refrigerator in 1965 with a new big one in a copper color. Here's a couple of pictures of 1952 and 1953 Crosley Shelvadors. Ours was a shelvador, different from these, though the inside of the second one seems sort of familiar.

EDITED.. the first link didn't work, why is this coming up looking like a link??????

http://www.classicrefrigerator.com/html/19...yshelvador.html

Movies and TV shows made in the 50's are a great source for ideas, especially family based comedies. I've noticed from looking at ads and movies or old TV shows, like I Love Lucy or Leave it to Beaver, that people didn't put nearly as much stuff in a room as they do now.

My first hubby and I bought our first home in 67. We found a "dollhouse" of a one story home, no basement, attached garage. The kitchen had all pink appliances, even the sink! The wallpaper was a white brick covered with tiny ivy and pink roses. I loved that house. The carpeting was avacado green which was most popular during that timeframe. Oh yes, the the half bath next to the kitchen also had pink sink and toilet! I was in heaven. My husband didn't like it. It was a real little dollhouse.....

I've been searching for 1940-1950's interiors for my Glencroft. If you google 1950 kitchen and look at images, you will find hundreds of pictures of items of that era. Be sure to look back a decade as well as so many houses came with leftovers. Anybody remember the Jewel Tea salesman and the Autumn Leaf dishes? I bought a couple of those pieces on Ebay for nostalgia sake. Now I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the pattern for some dollhouse pieces.

I was born in 1941. In the '50s our kitchen appliances were white. Daddy got a new refrigerator with a separate freezer and a new stove that had a built-in rotissery (I don't recall him ever using it). Some of the neighbors got new furniture and I remember it was rather boxy-looking with nubby, uncomfortable upholstery and garish flowered slipcovers.