Are You A Starbucker? 7/18/08

On our recent two-month trip we didn't stop at any Starbucks, but Daily Grind was good about having free wifi; that and a dearth of Sonic stores had me teaching them how to make my Mocha Java Chiller; and the Blackbird Cafe in Milledgeville, GA, now has wifi and a killer mocha frappe...

I find it very expensive for a cup of coffee but I have been there before to get Capuccinos. Im not a complex person when it comes to coffee or anything else for that matter, so it really bothers me that they have such complicated names for things. I had also ordered a small Capuccino one time and the guy totally didnt understand what I was saying because they dont use large, medium, small but some other words I cant even remember. I mean come on, its just coffee for petes sake. I felt like I had to take a course before ordering.

My favorite is the one in my local Barns And Noble.

I love starbucks but usually get my coffee at a locally owned coffee bar Mocha Joe's because they have a drive thru and I can go in my PJ's and they give my dogs biscuts too. There is one about every 200 feet in the northwest. i don't thnk anyone would notice if half of them closed. There is one inside the safeway we buy groceries in. My favorite thing is the mocha brownie.

I feel left out of the Starbucks thing because I'm a tea drinker. Straight black orange pekoe with two sugars. But I can go sugarless in iced. I just don't like coffee. My sister is the same. Her coffee pot is used once a year at Christmas when she has company. This is strange because my parents were huge coffee drinkers and we've been making it since we could reach the countertop. Some specialty coffees are okay, but I don't even try to drink them because I'm lactose intolerant. No dairy for me and soy is just horrible tasting. Plus, it's easier on the pocketbook just to skip Starbucks completely. I'm not missing anything. I have enough problem with a pop habit. I don't need to be adding coffee to it, too.

My dad hates Starbucks and won't go there. Like others, he says the coffee is too strong and horrible tasting. He had a bad experience once at the Starbucks in our Barnes and Noble. He went up to the worker and asked for a small black coffee and the worker asked, "What kind?" And he repeated his order. It was a run around and finally he got a Coke.

I drink hot coffee the same way I drink tea whether it's hot or iced; straight & black. If it needs to have sweetener or lightener it isn't fit to drink! Now iced coffee is a whole 'nother animal entirely, and is to be drunk slightly sweet, slightly light and lots of chocolate!

:p Heidi, I will have to hide this from my daughter Rachel now! She loves those things too (I only let her get one once a month when we have our Mom & Daughter date). Those things are so Sweet!!! I guess that is why she loves them though :birthday: If she saw the recipe, she'd be making it herself ALL of the time.

:happydance:

nope, a cuppa java shouldn't cost THAT much in my mind. I'm a very simple coffee drinker. Instant is okay for everyday; brewed is nice for a good dinner. NO flavors other than 'coffee' in my cup. However...I had one of those days this week. Tuesday is my day to get to the library early and start the bookdrop/delivery/holds check ins and get the money balanced for opening at noon. I swing through Hardees and get a ham biscuit and small coffee (if I didn't pack one) to savor through those tasks. I happily opened my bag and proceeded to pour mustard into my cup. Now, I didn't stir it, so was able to pour most off before the taste blended. Then, I started to wonder if SB's had thought of 'Mustard Mocha'? It wasn't bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am not a coffee drinker either, but on rare occasions will buy a hot caramel apple drink topped with whipped cream - love that, but too much just gives me a sugar overload. Do like Tim Horton's decaf tea, though.

DH drinks coffee, but he prefers to make his own in a french press with freshly ground beans that we buy twice a year when we go visit his cousin. His wife and he own their own coffee place where they roast their own beans and blend their own coffee. Much better than anything else DH has had, so he says!

I don't drink coffee. Can't stand the smell of it. When I was pregnant it really made me sick. Since my husband works at home and has 2 employees this was interesting. i had these guys drinking nothing but hot tea for 9 months :please: They got really into it. I bought them this huge box of different kinds so they would experiment with mixing flavors. Some of them were pretty nasty.

I do however LOVE the passion iced tea at Starbucks. I don't go out of my way for it but if I'm at Target and thirsty I will get one from the Starbucks there. I am a total tea fanatic. to me coffee tastes like hot cardboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not into Starbucks! Been there, didn't like the local service or the coffee, we tried it a couple of times. I'm a Tim Horton's fan. When I'm not working full time at my own shop, I'm a regular a 3 others, closer to home. You could say the original attraction to seeking out a job there was the promise that I could drink all the free coffee I wanted while on duty-and I do! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

The Starbucks people look at me like I'm crazy when I ask for 7 shots of espresso in one cup... so I like to grind coffee beans at home and brew my own espresso. I like my coffee to have some kick to it :roflmao:!! Lordy if I could roast the beans I'd probably do that too.

My daughter is Starbucks barista, her term, in a college town. They have a question of the day and if you know the answer you get a free cup of coffee. Not a bad deal and I can't complain about free coffee, but I would just as soon have my weak home brewed coffee.

With lattes and fraps (barista talk), who makes it has a big impact on taste.

Daughter always wants me to try something different and the best I've gotten was a Cinnamon Pumpkin Latte, but the free coffee is usually good enough for me.

Way off thread, but why does my flag go back and forth between American and Canadian?

My husband prefers his coffee so strong it curls your hair and it drops off dead! Me? I hate it and seldom drink it now, prefer Pepsi for my caffeine. As for Starbucks, many years ago before they got so trendy and big I had some in an airport and it was truly good coffee. Never had a chance to try it out again until about three years ago when we finally got a Barnes and Noble locally. What a disappointment, burnt, oily, very bitter and overpriced! Have not tried it again.

• 2 months later...

No, I don't particularly like Starbucks. I'm a coffeeholic, drink coffee all day, :w00t: but it's my own Folgers at home, or in a thermos at work. I do like to stop at a local Espresso Stand now and then and get a deliciously flavored coffee, but Starbucks is too expensive, too impersonal, too "corporate" for my liking.

• 4 weeks later...

We used to live very close to a Starbuck's in Austin. It was our Saturday morning event to walk to it, have coffee and a pastry on the porch and visit with friends who did the same thing every week. We enjoyed the visit more than the coffee, though. since moving away from there, I rarely go to Starbucks. However, I do miss the cranberry mountain bars!

I don't drink coffee but a couple of times a year -- and usually both of those times will be during the Holidays when Starbucks has specialty flavors. However, they have the most awesome orange cranberry scones!!!!! So I visit there often -- just not for coffee. :)