Dollhouse You Tube Videos

I've considered streaming to Twitch.tv's creative channels and several friends through there have said they'd be very interested in watching me make miniatures. Sadly, our internet is too slow and I'm not going to add hundreds of dollars each year to our bill just to try something that this introverted person might hate. On Twitch, there's a chat going on the side and people ask questions or just chat with the streamer. Add in the Discord app, and they can come into your channel and actually talk with you. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017, 8:15:50, Debsrand56 said:

While on that site, I found a video on making foam core models.  Very interesting, especially since I want to try my next house in foam core first. Based on the techniques in the video, I tried to buy a foam core rabbet cutter, but Amazon wouldn't sell it to me.  (Because I live in California?)  Fortunately, Blick would.  :p

That's weird....

So while I was procrastinating doing meaningful research this morning. :p I found this video ( I think it's the same lady from the tree house video)

It's so adorable with all it's little secret tunnels and whimsical ideas... And it sent me down memory lane.. I was obsessed with Gnomes when I was a kid. The obsession started when my Dad bought me this book. Totally obsessed.. no idea what happened to the book.. (my Mum probably threw it out in a spring clean - not sentimental at all..)

Image result for gnomes book

It had all these really great facts about Gnomes and amazing illustrations. Including a cross section of a Gnome house under the roots of a tree.. darling!

Image result for gnomes bookImage result for gnomes bookImage result for gnomes book

So now I want to buy the book again and.. I want to build a Gnome house!! Not exactly like the book.. I like the tree version.. but I would like to incorporate ideas from the book. I think it would be such a cute project. :D

Did anyone else have this book as a child? If you have children I thoroughly recommend it.. 

I had that book as an adult, I remember it clearly would be about 1980 somewhere close to that, it was fascinating. I actually looked up miniature gnomes  earlier today as I am looking for ideas for something and I thought of Snow White and the seven dwarves and that idea took me to gnome sites but I couldn't find any tiny ones.If you find any please share

Just had a look on Amazon and they have many used and new starting at $4

4 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

I had that book as an adult, I remember it clearly would be about 1980 somewhere close to that, it was fascinating. I actually looked up miniature gnomes  earlier today as I am looking for ideas for something and I thought of Snow White and the seven dwarves and that idea took me to gnome sites but I couldn't find any tiny ones.If you find any please share

1977 Jeannine.. Such a great book!

Are you looking for little gnome people or just gnome-y type things? What scale?

Hi Samantha, it is for that dratted Fairfield that I have shelved, still trying to think of a theme and thought about Snow White and the seven Dwarves, thought I may be able to pick up some little people but none small enough. I spent a small fortune on the fittings  for the house but then could not find the furniture I wanted to make it my memory house so I am recycling it into something else and using a Garfield for the memory house.

24 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Hi Samantha, it is for that dratted Fairfield that I have shelved, still trying to think of a theme and thought about Snow White and the seven Dwarves, thought I may be able to pick up some little people but none small enough. I spent a small fortune on the fittings  for the house but then could not find the furniture I wanted to make it my memory house so I am recycling it into something else and using a Garfield for the memory house.

These little 1:12 garden gnomes stand at 3cms so in 1:24 that would make them 2ft 3 1/2 inches tall. Probably a little bit short.. not sure how tall a dwarf is... but they are worth a look.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOLLS-HOUSE-1-12th-SCALE-GARDEN-GNOMES-SET-OF-4-/372054025806

Here is another little guy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miniature-Dollhouse-FAIRY-GARDEN-Accessories-TINY-1-Tall-Gnome-w-Cat-NEW-/252055543049?hash=item3aafae5d09:g:lxgAAOSwk5FU1lAQ

If my calculations are correct these guys would be 4.75 feet tall in half scale. Maybe a more appropriate dwarf height??

https://www.myfairygardens.com/product/gardening-gnomes-set-4/

17 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I always thought dwarves were around 3' or shorter (with due respect to Peter Jackson).  One of my best friends is 4'11" and is not considered a Little Person.

Haha.. Yes Holly good point.. one of my good friends is only 4'9" and definitely not a Little Person either. 

12 hours ago, Samusa said:

These little 1:12 garden gnomes stand at 3cms so in 1:24 that would make them 2ft 3 1/2 inches tall. Probably a little bit short.. not sure how tall a dwarf is... but they are worth a look.

I think this would be a great size for half-scale dwarfs.  When you look at the Disney movie, they are roughly half Snow White's height.  These little guys even have a Disney look to them.

I have had a good look at all the links, thank you Samantha some are bigger than others  and I need seven different ones. I think if I go that route I will make them probably out of felt, not sure I would probably do the faces in fimo or porcelain, just thinking out loud

I saw some wonderful.  things on those links if I go the fairy route too or even haunted..

OOh that Fairfield, I do so wish it would tell me exactly what it wants. Problem is with the light fittings I have bought it is probably too posh for gnomes so I would have to save the lights for something else.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Jun, and welcome to the forum. Your Halloween vignette is super spooky, and the video is exceptionally well done. :clap:

By the way, we don't do much that is perfect. Ours is a realm of smoke and mirrors -- and you've captured that brilliantly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I jumped into the middle of this thread and didn't read the beginning until just now. I, too, was obsessed with gnomes in the late 70s-early80s and had this book. My sister even needlepointed the cover elves on a pillow for me. <Wondering what ever happened to that pillow.>

On January 9, 2017 at 3:18:31 PM, Debsrand56 said:

These are incredible!  And Holly, you're right, the "groddiness" really adds to them.  I love when miniature scenes look really lived in.  One of my favorite mini scenes I found online is this one:  http://teenytinyminiaturethings.blogspot.com/p/thatch-cottage-112th-scale-miniature.html  Dishes in the sink, spilled food, rust, etc.  I can never quite bring myself to dirty up my minis. but I know it looks less realistic because I don't.

I'm with you I love the realistic scenes that other people do BUT can't bring myself to do them .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2017, 9:49:50, Samusa said:

So while I was procrastinating doing meaningful research this morning. :p I found this video ( I think it's the same lady from the tree house video)

It's so adorable with all it's little secret tunnels and whimsical ideas... And it sent me down memory lane.. I was obsessed with Gnomes when I was a kid. The obsession started when my Dad bought me this book. Totally obsessed.. no idea what happened to the book.. (my Mum probably threw it out in a spring clean - not sentimental at all..)

It had all these really great facts about Gnomes and amazing illustrations. Including a cross section of a Gnome house under the roots of a tree.. darling!

Image result for gnomes bookImage result for gnomes bookImage result for gnomes book

So now I want to buy the book again and.. I want to build a Gnome house!! Not exactly like the book.. I like the tree version.. but I would like to incorporate ideas from the book. I think it would be such a cute project. :D

Did anyone else have this book as a child? If you have children I thoroughly recommend it.. 

Oh my goodness! Yes! I loved that book! I had forgotten all about it. A good reminder because now, as an adult with a family, every Christmas I ask for a copy of a favorite childhood book to have my own collection. I'm totally NOT waiting until next Christmas to find that book! And consequently, I married a Norwegian and so those little gnomes figure in closely to his heritage. :D

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have watched this several times. It is amazing and I see something new every time.

The official video about Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg, the largest model railway in the world, and one of the most successful tourist attractions in Germany. On the 1.300 m² large layout, far more than a thousand trains, aircrafts, cars and ships move about. A wonder of the world in miniature.

https://youtu.be/ACkmg3Y64_s

• Like 1