Fishy Pedicure 7/30/08

Just when I thought fish were for the aquarium, I was watching a program last week on TV talking about a new pedicure that may be coming to a salon near you. The customer will have there toes nibbled on by a type of carp called "garra rufa", or "doctor fish", during a fish pedicure treatment. It eats the dead skin on your feet. Would you give it a try? Do you think it works or do you think this is just the latest craze?

post-4-1217429298_thumb.jpg

Have you heard of any crazy or "different" beauty care things?

I saw that Tracy and I was going to tell you about it but I am under the weather. Went right out of my head.

I do not know about this..But I have swam in the ocean (mouth of LI Sound) and I have had big stripers swimming so close I could have grabbed em!

I don't know if I would want my feet nibbled on by fish. But I have heard of this pedicure and no the fish do not have teeth, but they will eat the dead skin on your feet and leave the live skin alone. I have heard people saying that it was the best pedicure they ever had. I still don't think I could put my feet in a tank of fish.

When I was little we used to swim in my grandpa's pond. He had fish in it. If you went and sat very still at the shore in the evenings the small fish would come up and nibble on your feet. I thought it was the neatest thing when I was little. I won't pay for things like that so no I would not do it now if I had to pay for it.

I don't know if nursing homes still use maggots to debride necrotic tissue from ulcerations, but it's the same principle. I certainly don't want to think of maggots OR fish nibbling on my dead skin, that's what pumice stones are for!

• 2 months later...

This was outlawed this here in Texas recently....I think it was the argument they couldn't properly sterilize the tanks and fish in between customers so it wasn't very hygenic...

Early this past summer I was healping a friend to build a new outhouse for his camp, the blackplies up here in Maine sre fierce in the Spring and my legs were covered in bloody black fly bites. I hung my legs in the lake and within minutes I had several dozen small fish cleaning the blood spots on my legs. When I pulled my legs out you never would have known I was bit except for tiny red spots where the bite were. Creepy but amazing. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

If there were a way to circulate the water to filter out the nasties it might work, but fish scales are covered with a particular slimy substance to protect them from losing electrolytes through their skins, and who knows what yuckies thrive in that?

• 2 weeks later...
Early this past summer I was healping a friend to build a new outhouse for his camp, the blackplies up here in Maine sre fierce in the Spring and my legs were covered in bloody black fly bites. I hung my legs in the lake and within minutes I had several dozen small fish cleaning the blood spots on my legs. When I pulled my legs out you never would have known I was bit except for tiny red spots where the bite were. Creepy but amazing.

That is amazing Greg!