New member in California

kdrake

Just a note to say hello! I'm located in Northern California. I'm new to miniatures and am starting my first actual build today, the Shady Brook cabin. I'm excited and it's going well so far, though I did have to come to the forum to find out which side of the pieces is supposed to be on the outside of the cabin! I didn't find it out about the Shady Brook but found an older discussion about that other slightly larger cabin which seems to have the same wood, so I came to the conclusion that the smoother, darker side is supposed to be the outside. Anyway that's what I'm going with!

I have done a couple of small projects recently: a garden room in a birdcage, and a library roombox.

Then yesterday, the same day that my Shady Brook arrived in the mail, I picked up a craigslist house. I hadn't planned AT ALL to have two things at the same time! But the photo called my name and at $50 I thought it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I will get a picture and post it soon. The woman said that it was built in the 80s by her father-in-law from a kit and shipped from England. It is really quite large so I can only imagine how much it must have cost to ship it. It's probably from an English kit and I haven't found it online, but it looks a little similar to the Montpelier by Real Good Toys, sort of Colonial. It needs a lot of work as it is really only the shell with no windows or doors installed, and the roof is in bad shape. Structurally it is very sound though and I think has a lot of potential.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you experienced miniaturists!

-Katie

Hi Katie, welcome, welcome, welcome!! :)

We'd all love to see pics of your garden in a birdcage, your library roombox, the craigslist house - and of course, the Shady Brook as you work on the build. You only need to make 5 posts, and then you can open your own member's album.

Hurry and tell us more about yourself, or start asking some questions - 4 more posts, and we can see some pics! :wave:

Welcome to the forum family, Katie. My first-ever "roombox" I built in an ornamental birdcage. If you remember the "good" side is the right side of the plywood, your kit will come out looking like the picture on the box. I've been tempted at times to build a kit "inside-out", just to see what it would look like. Anyway, you have aready discovered the fundamental rule of this hobby; it's addictive, and you can't really just have one...

I could tell this was going to be a great group! Thank you for your warm welcome so far!

I am located in Castro Valley in the East Bay Area, which is near Hayward, Oakland, Dublin, and Pleasanton if you are familiar with any of those areas. I'm a California native and lifelong California resident, having over the years lived in: Santa Fe Springs, Moraga, Orinda, Santa Cruz, Union City, Campbell, Napa, and Mountain View! We've been here in Castro Valley for nine years and aren't planning on going anywhere anytime soon.

I've worked in marketing most of my life and am now a consultant working with high tech and financial firms. I work at home, and I have a feeling that this new hobby is going to be calling to me when I'm sitting at the computer trying to work! I will have to apply some serious discipline to the situation.

Since my first post I also posted in another thread about my craigslist acquisition, which it turns out was already the topic of a discussion!

As soon as I have enough postings I'll start a gallery and upload some photos. In the meantime I have been browsing everyone else's wonderful things...very dangerous, too many fabulous ideas!!

:-)

-Katie

Hi Katie and welcome! I am a So Cal native. :crazyeyes: Cant wait to see your pictures.

I am impressed that you are a telecommuter. I work one day a week from home and I am always looking for something real I could do at home full time. If you have any advice, send me a personal message. I've been a corporate trainer for about the last 10 years and I'm burned out on stand up training. Great to have you here!

• 1 month later...

Hello, and welcome on board! You found the right place . . . I have LOVED being a member here - the people are the nicest ever, the eye candy totally rocks, and there are zillions of fantastic tips and ideas here. We look forward to seeing your eye candy, too! By the way, congratulations on the fantastic Craigs List find. Do you know I have NEVER managed to find any miniatures or houses on that site? I guess Kentucky is a bit skimpy on the dollhouse front - or maybe, we just all keep ours! Anyway, I am super happy for you!