News Stories at it's worst

Minis On The Edge

Actually, it's an editorial piece, and the standards for opinion pieces are different than for hard news stories. News stories aren't supposed to have opinions. For editorials, opinions are allowed--otherwise free speech is hampered.

The peice is not simply about doll collecting. It'a about women who use these dolls as baby substitute and puclicly present them to the world as their "child". This goes way beyond doll collecting. These women are living out a fantasy, and imposing their fantasy on others by taking it out inot the owrld and making others participate in it.

As for the doctor's opinions expressed, in a way, I agree with her. It is disturbing to treat an inanimate object like a child, and there are healthier ways to deal with childlessness. I think they go to far when comparing owning a reborn to stealing a baby, because one behavior is illegal and harms no one (except possibly the disturbed would-be mother who buys it) and the other behavior is illegal and very harmful to others.

What a biased peice of crap! Sorry. They baically just told the world most people who collect baby dolls are mentally unstable! t Yes the lady who walks around the grocery store with one looking for attention needs help. ( that was set up by them) Now I would not buy one that breathes, but that does not mean people who do are mentally unstable. And as for being able to pick out what you want being even more disturbing, what a crock. Many of us buy mini people kits so we can make them look how we want. Does that make us mentally disturbed?

;) Sorry just hit a nerve I guess.

(Groan)...Leave it to the psychologists to put a bad spin on anything. Sure, there are the people who develop an unhealthy attachment to a doll, but most people who collect these dolls are NOT nut-cases.

I have collected dolls for years. I collect early 1960's on back...mostly composition dolls, but also early vinyl dolls. I have never gotten into "fake babies" because they are so expensive, but considering the work that goes into these little creations, they are well worth it.

If a childless woman finds comfort in one of these dolls, what's the harm? I've yet to see a case where a woman started with a "fake baby", and then went on to kidnap a real baby. It's no different than a childless couple who makes their dog or cat into their "baby".

Of course there are going to be the cases of "unhealthy" attachments...but that can development with anything.

I've seen elderly ladies in nursing homes with "fake babies" who are soothed and comforted with their dolls.

As far as having a "fake baby" of your real child...I didn't know they could custom make them...but there have been dolls for years that could be made to resemble your child..but a "fake baby" of your child is morbid??? Gimme a break!

Personally, I'd love to have one of each of my boys..especially my red-head! I don't think I'm being morbid....I just think it would be neat!

I wonder what the psychologists would say about dollhouse collectors???

The lady in the store is a "Creator" of the dolls. My guess is she does that to promote her business. I have a T-shirt with a picture of my houses on it and it says "ask how you can own a miniature estate". I have gotten 2 orders from wearing that shirt!!

I guess I fall in the CrAzY Category. I had a doll made of Rachel when she was a baby. I also collect dolls so watch out..... I may snatch your kids ;) ....... I think NOT :D

Here is the picture of Rachel w her doll:

2764592570037881673S425x425Q85.jpg

Funny, I found that lady who made Rachel's doll because she had another doll in her shopping cart and when I commented on it she told me she could make a doll to look similar to Rachel. I was a doll collector and thought it was a good idea. Her dolls were not the "reborn" kind (as it still looks like a doll). But I bought it.

I had started a thread about this last year. I think that they are a gorgeous piece of artwork The people that can pull off the realism in these dolls need a big round of applause...but some of those dolls cross the line for me.

There are ones out there that look like NICU babies with leads, oxygen, tape, etc. Those bother me and Fred. He sees children struggling for life every single day in his unit. (He works in the NICU in our hospital). Some people do have them made to resemble their children that have grown and also children that they have lost. That is okay. It is a good way to remember when or to memorialize. What bothers most I think is that some people treat them like real babies. The ones that *breathe* or have a audible heartbeat..umm I do not know about that.

To me the big difference between the 'reborn' dolls and other baby dolls is the moving chest as if breathing and the soft heartbeat. If this was a doll that you placed in a room setting with other similar dolls, then there would be nothing thought of it. However, the creator of these dolls portrays them as being real and I feel that that is where the problem comes in. Yes, they are beautiful works of art, however they are not real children. Having a doll made to resemble your child seems perfectly rational to me. Having that doll protrayed as real or alive, does not seem rational.

Tracy, what an adorable picture! What child wouldn't want to grow up with a doll that looked just like them? I took great delight in having Wolfie make me a doll to resemble my g/daughter but in miniature and I'm not even a doll collector, what does that make me?

oh waaaaaaa...this must mean that I suffer from delusions of grandeur because my miniatures always have something or lots of somethings in them that I would love to have human size in my life......

Elicia

rainy and windy in South Carolina

That psychologist just delivered the biggest load of BS I have seen in awhile. I have never heard of anyone taking one of these dolls out in public and trying to pass it off as real. If there are any that do that, they have a problem, but who does it hurt. I have a fairly large doll collection and have a few that are pretty realistic sleeping babies. I don't care for the ones that have heart beats, etc. Just the faces are realistic. This psychologist makes statements about fantasy as though it was synonymous with psychosis. Must be a slow news day. I am so tired of this kind of crap being presented as news. I truly believe the media is in cahoots with the devil. The sad part is some people take all this as gospel truth and let this stuff take away their enjoyment of a hobby or whatever in an increasingly joyless world. :flowers:

Heidi, I totally agree with you on the NICU babies. Our son was born with congenital heart defects and was in NICU for several days... I took NO pictures, everytime someone finds out he was in NICU they ask for pictures. Honestly, those images are forever inscribed in my head... and I do NOT want any pictures of my child fighting for his life.! I have pictures of before and after when he came home. Ok,I am off to play with my new houses.!

Kellee

I had started a thread about this last year. I think that they are a gorgeous piece of artwork The people that can pull off the realism in these dolls need a big round of applause...but some of those dolls cross the line for me.

There are ones out there that look like NICU babies with leads, oxygen, tape, etc. Those bother me and Fred. He sees children struggling for life every single day in his unit. (He works in the NICU in our hospital). Some people do have them made to resemble their children that have grown and also children that they have lost. That is okay. It is a good way to remember when or to memorialize. What bothers most I think is that some people treat them like real babies. The ones that *breathe* or have a audible heartbeat..umm I do not know about that.

Betcha back when they made drink & wet dolls, "ma-ma dolls", talking dolls, etc, some psychologist had a field day with that.

Rather than pass them off as real babies, I would think most people would show them off, exhibit their breathing and heartbeat, and everyone would say "oh, WOW...how NEAT!!" The doll goes back on display, and that's that!

I can remember years ago there was a big hoo-ha about anatomically correct dolls...dunno what became of that!

I think when Cissy and Miss Revlon came out back in the 1950's, they were the first "adult" dolls and probably raised a few eyebrows!

Oh, well......if I'm a nut-case for collecting dolls, so be it! My dolls, dollhouses and I will be very happy together!!

What will they find to critize next? Dollhouses? Are we neurotic because they are cleaner and finer than our real homes? Does that mean we live in a fantasy world? Oh my, I need to call my therapist! LOL

Guys, the story isn't about doll collecting bashing. I googled and found there have been several stories in the news about these dolls and many people do find them sort of creepy. Although the majority of the people who've bought them did so as doll collectors who see them as an amazingly realistic art form, there are others who buy them as a sort of replacement for dead children, others who just find them comforting to hold, etc. I am quite sure there are some who just plain pretend they are real live children. Once again, look at the guys who buy the real size dressup dolls. There are women who can be just as odd.

I can remember years ago there was a big hoo-ha about anatomically correct dolls...dunno what became of that!

I am going to really be aging myself now but when I was a girl I sooo wanted a Joey baby doll. Remember those? Archie Bunker`s grandson. They made them anatomically correct because when they had the baby on the show, his manhood was actually caught on the camera. People made a big stink about that back then.

I remember them. And talk about aging yourself, I remember when Tiny Thumbelina came out. I wanted one soooo bad.

I got an imitation one for Christmas!!

In fact, I remember when Barbie came out....I had a brand new Bubble-cut Barbie for Christmas!!! I still have her, dressed in her nurses uniform!!!

I don't look at the story as bashing doll collecting, but on the reality of some people having the delusion that the doll is a real, live, baby. That is a very disturbing idea to me, and is definitely dangerous. To imagine or play, or to use as a comfort is perfectly reasonable. To take the doll out and get others involved in a lie is something else.

Have to wonder what they would say about the high school project of having to take care of an egg as if it was a baby, or a doll?

Like so many things is life, there is a good side but someone can always turn it bad.

Terri

ps I wouldn't mind getting one of the dolls myself, they are beautiful.

Remember the Frazier show where Niles carried around the sack of flour to see if he could handle being a father? That was one of the funniest shows of the series.

I think the psychologist went way overboard about the "danger" etc. involved with these dolls. There will always be people who use things in the wrong way. She only mentioned the worst case scenarios, not people just thinking the dolls are cute. Most psychologists give me a pain anyway. Coming off like Sigmund Freude when they don't even have an MD.

Most psychologists give me a pain anyway. Coming off like Sigmund Freude when they don't even have an MD.

Ditto! I've had some experience with a few and have been flabbergasted at some of the things that came out of their mouths! I felt like I was paying for their personal opinion and not that of a medical professional! Heck, I could have just sat down with my neighbor and discussed my problelm for free!

I think we live in a reactionary society. Everyone over reacts about everything, like this psychologist did. Shes actually stigmatizing people who buy these dolls for their beauty because now everyone starts questioning their sanity.

The truth of the matter is that EVERYTHING thats created can be used for good or for evil. There is a small minority of people out there that will use these dolls in an unhealthy way and its not the dolls fault or the creator of the dolls, just like its not Bill Gates fault that Windows is used to hack into peoples personal files. People who create things can not be held responsible for what some sick people in society do with it or we would be living in caves and still using rocks and branches to commit crimes anwyays.

So are men who have "women" dolls more likely to rape? I took this news piece as being more woman bashing than anything else. There trying to say its not normal for women to care for anything like they would a real baby because being a mother to a real baby is their main role in life and nothing should take the focus away from that, including a fake baby.

If a woman wants to buy this fake baby and do whatever she wants to with it, its her perogative. Women who steal real babies were stealing way before these fake babies were ever created. Baby stealing is nothing new. In fact, maybe now that they have their fake babies, they will be less tempted to steal a real one. Besides those baby dolls are gorgeous! I want one!

Sorry, let me get off the soap box now.