DIY Canning Jars

stillworkin

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goosh, I cannot wait to get started. Thanks for the tut Susan.

I have some epoxy on hand already, it's 5 minute epoxy. Do you know if this particular one will work?

It looks like two syringes put together.

Alli

Alli, I don't know if that type of epoxy will work or not. I know exacatly what kind you are talking about, I saw it for sale in the hardware store, it's marketed as a glue. I was tempted to buy it but decided to go with the Easy Cast instead. It claims it dries clear so I'll bet it's the same thing. Give it a shot and let us know how it works!

I'm so glad that all of you liked this idea. The brand name bottles (Heinz ketchup, Kraft mayonnaise, etc.) are equally as easy to make. All you have to do is find pictures of the bottles you want to make, resize them to scale on your computer then print them out. Make the bottles out of the appropriate colors from Sculpey. It's easy to get the sizes and shapes correct because all you have to do is lay the Sculpey on top of the picture you printed out to see if the bottle needs to be a little wider here, a little longer there, etc. Once your bottles are made, drop them into a bowl of water, microwave 2 minutes, plunge into cold water to cool, dry. Give it 2 coats of clear finger nail polish then cut the labels from the pictures you printed out and glue them to the bottles.

Microwaving the Sculpey?? What a great idea! Will that work for other brands of clay, too? I bought some clay awhile ago and then got a bit freaked out when folks were talking about baking and the fumes and needing fancy equipment...but I'm good at microwave! :blink:

No, you can't microwave polyclay to cure it, Susan is using the microwane to BOIL the clay. Because of the fumes I wouldn't use the same microwave to boil clay that I cook in, and certainly ONLY use a dedicated container to boil the clay in. But boiling the clay is said to work just as well as baking, and without the risk of burning or darkening.

I use a dedicated toaster oven to cure my clay.