The Garf

doogster

Well the foundation's to the point where I can think about adding the first floor. Prepping and fitting the verticals took about 6 hours. Then obviously the time to glue them in, clamp on a roll (tape) them in place. I let the Loctite glue dry for about 5 hours, then went around the entire foundation and re-inforced all the joints with polyurethane glue. Very simple to do, just dampen the inside edges of the joints and run a thin bead of the poly down the joint. Fills gaps, makes the whole thing solid as a rock. I only did the inside parts of the joints so I don't have to sand down the foam from the outside.

So far guessing about 12 hours into the project. Still some gaps in the foundation. I'm going to fit the first floor and then fill. That'll accomplish 2 things. First the whole structure will be far more rigid, and second the vertical panels will be in their final allignment. I'll repeat the gluing process with the Loctite and urethane as best I can, it may be difficult though in such an enclosed space. The Loctite does a fine job, and the whole thing forms a pedestal in design.

Any advice for the following steps appreciated.

You're amazing Andrew. Like I said in another post, I wish I had read all the information abotu the glue you are using before I started. I'm going to go back a step and reinforce the house with some more glue.

I got most of my tape wire done the other day, except for the back half of the house which I made removable. The woman at my local DH store gave me a way to make even seperated parts link together to have light. So tonight I wired the kitchen half, made sure it all linked well then did a thin coat of paint.

I think tomorrow I really need to do some housework that I have been ignoring!

You're amazing Andrew. Like I said in another post, I wish I had read all the information abotu the glue you are using before I started.  I'm going to go back a step and reinforce the house with some more glue.

I got most of my tape wire done the other day, except for the back half of the house which I made removable. The woman at my local DH store gave me a way to make even seperated parts link together to have light. So tonight I wired the kitchen half, made sure it all linked well then did a thin coat of paint.

I think tomorrow I really need to do some housework that I have been ignoring!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say your foundation looks better than mine. Far less gaps. Though re-inforcing the joints can never hurt. Just go along the joints with a damp sponge, then run a thin bead of polyurethane glue (Elmers works great). It does expand, but it won't split your joints. If you do the glue on the inside of the joint it can foam out all it wants and there's no problems. Interestingly the gaps I got were from the parts, in order to keep things square I ended up with a few gaps.

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew- I bought the Elmers urethane glue. Reinforced my roof pieces the other night. Haven't had much time to do alot lately. Going to go check on it now, see how good it worked! :D

Ok I seen the Elmers urethane glue at Wal-Mart and almost grabbed a bottle just because every seems to love it so much what exactaly is the benefit of using it what does it do?

SuzyQ

SuzyQ-

To answer your question quickly it is a better bond than regular wood glue and seals small gaps as well. Ckeck back in the posts to find where Andrew talks more about it and how he uses it alot.

Quote from: http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/3/21/32352/5702

"There are waterproof wood glues that won't warp the wood because they don't have any water in their formula. These are urethane glues. Gorilla and Elmer's Urethane are good products. Gorilla glue is great but too expensive. Elmer's Urethane glue is more reasonably priced at about $9 for about 8oz at Home Depot. The urethane glue will not warp your stock and is waterproof. Most wood working glues that claim to be waterproof won't survive sustained exposure to moisture. Urethane glues will stand up to sustained exposure. Urethane glues tend to expand as they dry. This characteristic fills small voids but it can be a mess. It will stain your hands and will not wash off with water. The boil out scrapes off. You'll need some thinner to get the urethane glue off your hands. Urethane glue will work better with thin stock which is more prone to react with woodworking glues which have water in their formulas."

By the way, got my big bottle (think its 8 oz) at Home Depot for about $7

Andrew-

I checked on my cured glue last night and am mad at myself. Glue dried and the bond is GREAT, but I completely forgot that the glue expands and I was very messy with it!!! Have you ever experienced thios problem? Do you think I can sand some off (lots of drips) or best to try to "pry" it off with razor blade? Ohhhh I made a mess!!! http://elmers.com/homerepair/product_page.asp?pCode=P9411 says sand and scrape when dry! There's my answer.... duh!

TIP: Use sparingly!!

ALSO: Try it free. You can get a 4oz. bottle of Elmer’s Ultimate Glue Free! From March 1 - May 31, 2006, go to your participating retailer, buy Elmer’s Ultimate Glue in the 4 oz. size and then download the mail-in rebate form. http://elmers.com/homerepair/ultimateglue/promotions.asp

Hello Andrew,

Just wondering how things are going with your Garfield. I have been to DC for several days and feel out of touch with everything. I have company this week and so my house will just be staring at me awhile longer. :D

SuzyQ

Hello Andrew,

Just wondering how things are going with your Garfield. I have been to DC for several days and feel out of touch with everything. I have company this week and so my house will just be staring at me awhile longer. :p

SuzyQ

Hi SuzyQ :D Andrew is out of town (since last wednesday) but will be home late tomorrow night! Yipppeee! It has been lonely without him here. so..he hasn't made much progress for awhile :p He got as far as painting the foundation with one coat of paint! I think this next week will show some progress tho. I can't wait to see what he does with this house! Sounds like he has excellant ideas. His Orchid arrived today, i know he's gonna bash some of the trim pieces and possibly windows for his Garf. (I will probably get the left over stuff :p:D That's okay i can always bash the kit with one of my own...unless he changes his mind :D Bummer that you can't get much done on yours at present...looking forward to seeing your progress! Marg

Hi SuzyQ :D Andrew is out of town (since last wednesday) but will be home late tomorrow night! Yipppeee! It

Thanks for the reply Marg. My husband must have missed me too. He is usually too busy to call much during the day while he is at work but he called today actually wanting to chit-chat for a few minutes. Probably hoping for a good dinner tonight :D

SuzyQ

Hi guys, got back this evening, very happy to be back I can tell ya. I knew this trip was gonna be a disaster. Won't be doing that again for a long while that's for sure. On the upsideI left a day early (from where I was staying) and stayed in a hotel last night, at least I could relax. And renewed my work Visa for another year. The US border officers rock and are righteous at the same time. They call the guys you seen initially triage, we were swapping stories of 'interesting' triages we've seen.

As Marg pointed out no progress, taking the Garf along would have been problematic. Hoping to get a couple more coats of paint on the foundation tomorrow and start the stairs. I would have preferred to spend my time off here with Marg and the cats and playing.

For the polyurethane overflow, As mentioned I used it primarily where it won't be seen. If it can be I'd definitely get one of those triagular paint scrapers. I think they've got a couple of angles on them including 90 and 45 degrees. The spill out removed pretty easily that way, it sands pretty slowly though.

Hi Tracy. I've been using the foundation as a testbed of sorts. To see how the material fills and takes paint. At this point I'd say it HAS to have some type of veneer covering the luan. Siding, bricks, whatever. Paint simply will not fill the grain. Even uncut. I was hoping to paint a lot of the interior walls, don't want to paper, seems everybody does that, but since the good side doesn't look good simply painted, I really doubt the bad side would be acceptable that way.

Andrew, have you tried spreading spackling compound/ polyfilla thinly over the wood and then sanding it before you paint? I usually seal the wood with clear sanding sealer and giving it a light sand before priming & painting & that usually takes care of it, but the spackle and sand might give you the effect of sheetrock.

Ha! Language Lesson, everybody listen up, I used the "/" between spackling compound & polyfilla because "polyfilla" is the term our English friends use to ddescribe "spackling compound". Hey, I'm just the Queen of Spackling Compound, not England! :D

Thank you another mystery cleared up :D . I only asked because I saw some poly fill something at Lowes, that looked more like cotton or insulation, and for the life of me could not figure out how that would fill cracks.

Peggi

Ha! Language Lesson, everybody listen up, I used the "/" between spackling compound & polyfilla because "polyfilla" is the term our English friends use to ddescribe "spackling compound". Hey, I'm just the Queen of Spackling Compound, not England! :D

:p thanks for clearing up the mystery!

Yeah, the spackle/joint compound is Poly-Filla, it's a trade name, I didn't even notice it since I'm from England it's used as a generic a lot, kinda like Kleenex.

BTW, anyone wanting a real challenge to filling their house should try Dura-Bond. If you do I'd strongly suggest getting a power sander or even an angle grinder.

I've been using joint compound since it's essentially interchangable with spackle and I got a big tub at Wally World for less than 3 bucks. Goes on easy, sands easy and sands nice and smooth. And it doesn't stink. I love Bondo, but there's no need here, on plastic the solvent based putty is a little hotter and bites into the plastic for a better grip. on wood the joint compound holds just fine. And Bondo reeks to high Heaven. And the red colour is a bugger to paint over.