I was all ready to sell out today...

Cuppa-Tea

I was seriously thinking about selling all my minis today. If I could. Just liquidating my whole collection. I must have several thousands of dollars invested furniture, accessories and building components and if I could get some of that money back to pay off some of our debt, I would do it.

Part of the reason I was feeling so discouraged is that I had a kid-free day today and was planning to work on minis for a few hours after I did my housework, balanced the checkbook, double-checked the taxes (because I don't trust Turbo-Tax), walked the dog, cleaned up the kitchen, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, I never did get to my minis at all. And I'm just so frustrated, and feel so guilty because there are so many other things that I really should be doing anyway. Like working on my books. And organizing the basement. And the office. And the kitchen.

Somebody posted on another thread about getting your spouse into a hobby so that they won't hassle you about yours. Well, the dollhouses is the hobby my husband talked me into so I wouldn't hassle him about his model trains and G.I. Joe dolls. (they have clothing and accessories... they're dolls.) :o

Anyway, when I went to pick my son up from my friend's house, she had this whole gift basket for me of stuff she got me at Williamsburg. It is a "thank you" gift for all the times I've watched her kids or helped her out. So now I'm feeling a little more inspired to keep plugging away at the colonial dollhouse. I'm very taken with the colonial period, for some reason.

I may still sell the Sugarplum, though. We'll see! But it was an awfully nice surprise! What a great friend! She got me some bread mixes, little bottles of different sparkling cider, a calendar, note cards, a salt-pottery pansy jug and other stuff.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christine -

Big hugs from me. I hear you're feeling overwhelmed right now. I can't even begin to know how mothers find time for themselves while raising a family. How many children do you have? I was never able to have children, so there's just been my husband and myself (and 3 cats). We've also each been blessed with good jobs. Ray does most of the housework (and he's very good at keeping everything in the home in good repair). While I'm here on the computer, he's emptying the dishwasher.

When I'm not at work (I job share, so I work one week and have a week off), I have lots of time on my hands. I've volunteered at the church (mostly in children's ministries) for a number of years. But, there's an emptiness in the house without children. There's a part of my heart that's always empty. As much work as children are, they're life's greatest treasure.

Bless you and all the mothers.

But, try and take a little time for yourself. You deserve it.

Susanne

Anyway, I never did get to my minis at all. And I'm just so frustrated, and feel so guilty because there are so many other things that I really should be doing anyway. Like working on my books. And organizing the basement. And the office. And the kitchen

Don't feel frustrated, since my back injury I've not done much in the way of housekeeping, the taxes are waiting cause I owe, my mini's have been put on hold, but sometimes being a couch potatoe is what I do best LOL. At least it sounds like you accomplished something.

And you are blessed with good friends. So you must be a very good person yourself.

Peggi

Keep your hobby!!!! It is so important to have some "me" time. I know I am a mom too. I recently got into doing the Garfield this Christmas so my 13 yr old daughter and I could have a hobby together. But my "me" time is the Volleyball team I have played on for years. Every year I think I am so busy I won't play this season but then think of how much it gets my mind off of everyday stuff.

SuzyQ

How many children do you have?  I was never able to have children, so there's just been my husband and myself (and 3 cats). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh Susanne, I'm sorry to hear that. I have just the one child right now - a three-year-old boy. I can't complain because he's actually pretty easy to manage. But life was certainly different B.C. (before children). I had such a horrible pregnancy that we have gone back and forth about whether to attempt another, try to adopt, or stop at one.

I also used to have cats, and they chewed up several of my minis. :o

I do a lot of cooking from scratch, and am in charge of all the finances. I also am one of the leaders of our local Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) ministry.

p.s. Everyone... I apologize for putting this thread on this forum... I meant to post it under Chit-Chat.

Christine I know exactly how you feel... I have 3 children and 2 beagles and way too many chores and things that "should" be done that I find myself only getting half of it done each day. I havent had time to play with mini's in about a month or so. But Iam hopeing to work on the Lily today NO matter what :) Just hang in there and take a deep breath.I find myself takeing several deep breaths a day :o I also am a full time stay at home mom.

Hi Christine,

You know I felt the same way some time back. I'd been into miniatures for about 8 months and things just fell apart - not my houses but other things around me and I was fed up - I packed away my houses, my tools and all my minis and I didn't even look at them for 6 months - I even packed away my magazines and books! Well I figured that was It I was done with miniatures but then I started getting involved with a Haunters group and it reminded me why I loved miniatures and how much I really did. I'm so very glad I didn't sell them! Only now my houses are more likely than ever to rattle a bit to one side and be full of ghosts and ghouls lol :o

Hang in there sweetie - As a single parent I can tell ya that even just a little "me" time is very important to have and if miniatures are your me time then it's important you keep them. And you know the great thing about miniatures is - they're patient. They'll wait for you even if you put them hold for a while. :)

Hope you're feeling better

<hugs>

-David

Hang in there Christine! I don't have children, but I certainly feel the pressures of every day living! Just remember, housework will always be there no matter how hard you work at it, finances have a way of working themselves out and children grow up . . . eventually! :o It doesn't matter what you do, there will always be something to fill up the time and what better way to do that than to do something you love?!! :)

You definitely need 'me' time for yourself. I would suggest just downsizing some items you do not use anymore, and spend the money on a mini that you've really wanted. That way they aren't completely gone, but then you can buy something you have been really wanting. My husband loves his building, but is sometimes so frustrated because there is no room or no time to indulge himself with designing or building on the ideas he has. We both get frustrated because of what you mentioned, organizing and cleaning rooms. It also is overwhelming, especially if you are packing up or sorting old furniture and clothing that needs to be donated, etc., when you feel you should be working on your minis. I have just come back from show and decided that first things first--my family and my minis, and THEN the work on the website, more show schedules, etc. Take care of yourself--we all need time away from the stress of life.

Oh, I am so glad I am not the only one who has feeling so down. Not that I would wish this on anyone else. For the past month I have been so depressed, looking at all that needed to be done and just feeling overwhelmed. All of the mini projects I have unfinished just sat there adding to my guilt. Feb is such a bad month for me even though it includes my husband's and daughter's birthdays and our wedding anniversary, but it also includes the death of our than 22 year old son for no explainable reason and two of our beloved boxer dogs from cancer who were just like our kids. Not everything happened all at once, it just happened in Feb over the years.

I told myself this is rediculus and that you have so much to be greatful for and to put on your big girl panties and deal with it. but it does not make it any easier. Sigh, well Feb is almost over so maybe things will get better. :o

Thanks everyone, the kind words for Cuppa-tea helped me get some perspective.

For her: I hope you are feeling a lot less overwhelmed and looking more favorably on your minis.

G.I. Joe dolls.  (they have clothing and accessories... they're dolls.) :)

I'm sorry to hear your having a bad day, but we need to get this straight; G.I. Joe = Action Figure!

Just trying to lighten the mood! :o

Dean

I have been a bit stretched lately too. I have not done any miniing for a few weeks. Okay so I did make a couple rugs today. All four of my little ones got ear infections, two got fifs (sp?) disease and then they got the stomach flu all in about two weeks. DH has been helping me finish the front patio and I have given up on dh ever finishing the floor. I finally realised he was not going to do it no matter how much I tried to make him. I think I have just come to the realisation that I can only do what I can and the rest will just have to wait. :o

I'm sorry to hear your having a bad day, but we need to get this straight; G.I. Joe = Action Figure!

Just trying to lighten the mood! :)

Dean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, they are DOLLS. You can buy separate outfits for them with different uniforms and different accessories (guns, ammunition belts, binoculars, etc.) They are no different from Ken!!! Just a little more macho.

Buzz Lightyear is an action figure. The 6" Star Wars guys are action figures. The small G.I. Joes are action figures - you can't change their clothes. The big ones are dolls!!!! Hee hee. :o

Hi Christine,

You know I felt the same way some time back.  I'd been into miniatures for about 8 months and things just fell apart - not my houses but other things around me and I was fed up - I packed away my houses, my tools and all my minis and I didn't even look at them for 6 months - I even packed away my magazines and books!  Well I figured that was It I was done with miniatures but then I started getting involved with a Haunters group and it reminded me why I loved miniatures and how much I really did.  I'm so very glad I didn't sell them!  Only now my houses are more likely than ever to rattle a bit to one side and be full of ghosts and ghouls lol  :o

Hang in there sweetie - As a single parent I can tell ya that even just a little "me" time is very important to have and if miniatures are your me time then it's important you keep them.  And you know the great thing about miniatures is - they're patient.  They'll wait for you even if you put them hold for a while.  :) 

Hope you're feeling better

<hugs>

-David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks David... Did you see the snow duck pics I posted last week in Chit-Chat? I thought you would appreciate that!

The small G.I. Joes are action figures - you can't change their clothes. The big ones are dolls!!!! Hee hee.

Im so sorry Dean but it true! :(

have you been telling yourself that you dont play with dolls?

because its an action figure? thats just what mommies tell their sons when they give him a "doll" :p ;) :p

but on serious note I wish I had all of my brothers GIJoe and action sets. he had it all. we were kids in the 70's. oh we did not have the big battle ship but we both begged alot.

nutti :blink:

You girls keep your chins up!

remember that it is a scientifc fact that this time of the year is bad on most peoples emotions. stuck inside,cold and flue season....its good to remember to take time for ones self when you can. if you feel guilty about cleaning than clean out your mini area first.....organize it...you know it needs to be done. ;) so while you are reall "playing with minis" you are getting an area of your life under control

Big Hugggzzzz

Just think its a big wide world out there and every day when you come in here it gets smaller! :D

nutti :blink:

I actually find that working on minis gives me that feeling of control that I crave. It's much easier to redecorate a room in the dollhouse. I can move the furniture, pictures ... even the piano ... and not have to worry about whether the cable will reach. Plant a garden, move a tree .... I can do it all by myself.

Last week I felt I had really accomplished something when I sat on the floor (surrounded by my boxes ... and cats) and organized my landscaping supplies ready for the upcoming flower border class.

I had to pull one of the plants out of Missy Mew's mouth that she was trying to eat. Aren't cats supposed to know that the plants aren't real? I thought that they had superior noses. Anyway, Missy's fine, but the plant ..... well it's now foliage.

Susanne

No, they are DOLLS.

Action Fugures! :blink:

thats just what mommies tell their sons when they give him a "doll" ;)  ;)  :p

Correction, when they they give him an Action Figure! :blink:

In fact ladies, he's not just an action figure, he's the the grand daddy of all action figures! That's right, numere uno!

Read it and weep!

EDIT: Actually, the definition of the term Action Figure leaves little room for argument. :p

That's right Dean. Don't let them make fun of your dolls...er...action men. By the way...a line from the Wikipedia article article you sited "The look of the doll was also changed 1970, adding a flocked beard" must have been written by a woman. :blink:

Of course Barbie was the true "action figure". Oddly enough my male cousins always balked when I suggested we set up their GI Joe's on steamy dates but I can tell you from experience, Barbie got a lot of action.

~Jenny

Hi Christine and all,

No I didn't see the snow ducks picture I'll have to go back and look for it. I took a couple weeks off and Shalean - I missed you too! :p - The show was wonderful I'll need to make a new thread to post about it.

Dean- sorry buddy I gotta side with the ladies on this one - G.I. Joe is the undisputed great granddaddy of action figures but if it's 12" and has "accessories" that include wardrobe it's a doll ;) :blink: ;) But don't feel bad I'll share a secret with ya - when the Xena 12" dolls came out - I bought Aries. :blink: Hey- he has a cool sword. :p

Starfire - I hope you're feeling better soon. September is the month I get feeling very blue - I take extra me time - not fun me time but quiet me time and try to follow my son's advice and just yo-yo.. I know when I get down that it will get better and that even though some things have happened that bring me down that month there's lots to keep going for - so hang in there sweetie- things Will get better <hug>

-David

Sorry, Dean, but a rose by any other name is still a rose.  A doll is a doll.

Oh yeah?

logo.jpg

I need to start working on the new house tomorrow, SILO 13. Here is the description:

SILO 13

Greenleaf’s newest addition, SILO 13 is one of the most action packed dollhouse, sorry, Action Figure Domiciles to be found anywhere. This fortified mansion has seven gun turrets, as well as a full wrap-around bunker system, two crew served fight positions, and a grenade sump. You’ll find easy access to the hidden interrogation room; in addition to the removable roof section and which house a radar guide anti aircraft system. With its wonderful gingerbread trim and lovely detail, SILO 13 is magnificent!

Sorry folks, but if it got the Kung Fu grip, it isn't a doll!

GI Dean

LOL! What an interesting thread!

To those who are down, and I must admit that I tend to suffer the same, and Nutti's right--it does have a lot to do with this time of year! But hang in there, and don't give up what you've carefully chosen as your precious items! Housework will still be there--WHETHER YOU DO IT OR NOT! I swear, I'll sweep and vacuum and mop, and turn around the next day and it has to be done again! But yes, it is hard to take "me" time, especially with children.

Finally, ladies and gentlemen, I have to agree with Dean. I have NEVER, and WOULD NEVER, consider G.I. Joe to be a "doll". I've always considered him to be an action figure ... But yeah, I could see Barbie having some hot dates with him!