I was all ready to sell out today...

Cuppa-Tea

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not doubting your answer for a second........just how would you know that??

Seriously, it's not the kind of knowledge you find out by accident. ;)

I'm a constant wanderer in flea markets and antique stores and so I've picked up a little trivial knowledge about all things collectable over the years so I can identify any little treasures. For instance, I've noticed that many of you have used Hagen Renakers (tiny - in most cases - pottery animals made in California since the late 40's) in your dollhouses. Some of the older pieces can go for hundreds of dollars. You just never know what you have lying around. ;)

By the way...another little trivia item...Joes left thumbnail is on the wrong side of his thumb. The thumb thing is a distinguishing mark for trademark purposes. Originally in the vintage 1964 figure it was an accident, a flaw in the original sculpt but it was decided that it would be left in order to use to trace knock-off products.

~Jenny

Christine,

Can you believe that your topic would prompt such talk about GI Joe Dolls? (excuse me action figures ;) )

Hopefully it has brightened up your week some.  It has mine.

Suzy Q

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it has, actually!!! And DH got a kick out of loaning me his action figures for the photo. This is kind of an ongoing joke at our house anyway.

I thought The scar came from the fight Joe had when he took Barbie to the beach and Ken came over to try and get back with her ;)  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That must have been the Ken in the black leather jacket, not the beach get-up ... right?

Susanne

Anyone else here old enough to remember the Charles Atlas ads from the comicbooks where the wimp & his gf are at the beach & the bully comes & kicks sand in his face, so he goes home & takes the Charles Atlas body-building course and becomes the incredible hulk, goes back to the beach & punches out the bully, who is there with the wimp's gf? I always wondered why he bothered to go back to that same girl.

Anyone else here old enough to remember the Charles Atlas ads from the comicbooks where the wimp & his gf are at the beach & the bully comes & kicks sand in his face, so he goes home & takes the Charles Atlas body-building course and becomes the incredible hulk, goes back to the beach & punches out the bully, who is there with the wimp's gf?

hand in air!! I do!!!

wow that brings back memories!

I used to read my brothers comic books.

nutti ;)

The explanation of the scar is correct, they couldn't copyright the human form, so they copyrighted a distinct mark. Didn't know about the thumb nail though.

As for the Charles Atlas ads (with dynamic tension-got that from The Who Sell Out-still in print IIRC) they were still in comics in the mid to late 70's. I always liked Iron Man, no I don't have a doll, I mean action figure. Never did actually.

* throwing hat in*

I had friends that were girls and boys. We played w/barbies and we played with GI Joes. And army men, leggo villages with matchbox cars, superheros action figures. I was a well rounded kind of girl. Played house and school, but also flag football, ghost man wiffle ball, bloody mary, climbed trees, etc etc.

I am going to make a confession.... I *played* w/ my Barbie dolls till i was 14 yrs old. Then i threw them away out of shame.. ;)

But when my girls came along and got their barbies (and Brats), I would be sitting right along with them showing them how to do their hair and clothes.

I am going to make a confession.... I *played* w/ my Barbie dolls till i was 14 yrs old. Then i threw them away out of shame.. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sister and I played with Barbies longer than that! I learned how to sew and made outfits for them, even wedding dresses and tuxedos. I wish I could show you guys the polaroids of our Barbie weddings, complete with wedding cakes made in the mini-bake oven with those little heart-shaped pans! They have NOT been thrown away but are neatly packed away, along with their horses, furniture and the gorgeous crocheted dresses and knitted outfits my grandmother made, waiting for a girl to come along in this family!!!! We have about 8 male grandchildren between my husbands family and mine... everyone else is done having kids so DH and I are trying for that girl.

Oh, and my sister, who is in her 30's, still asks for certain Barbie's she wants for her birthday or Christmas. I think she got a Victorian Christmas one a couple of years ago.

I also played with Barbies till I was 13. I was forced out of it by a house fire.

I lost all of my barbies and their accessories but what I lost that I loved more was my collection of sunshine family. I had the house and craft van and general store mom,pop,baby and granparents. I loved those dolls.

I did recieve a few babies for Christmas that yr but it just wasnt the same.

I also played with paperdolls till I was 14 got caught with them by my boyfriend and never touched them again ;)

my brother also lost his collection of GIJoe(action figures) and Steve Austin.

I loved having a girl. when she was small we played barbies and loved going to toys r us for goodies.

what I want to know is why toy makers dont have a line of some of the more realistic dolls for dollhouses? why are all the dolls in other scales than dollhouse scale? and whay are dollhouse dolls so unrealistic and fake looking and soooo dern expensive?

I would buy bratz which I think are sooo cute but they are so child like.

where are the grownups?

nutti ;)

Ok...you guys are cracking me up with you sheepish confessions of playing with barbies into your early teens. Um, people? We are all on an online message board to share stories about our dollhouses.

None of us have grown out of our love of toys...we've just evolved into overgrown kids with more disposable income.

I remember the Charles Atlas ads but my favorite comic ads were the Twinkie the Kid ads. Whatever happened to Twinkie the Kid?

~Jenny

Um, people?  We are all on an online message board to share stories about our dollhouses

~Jenny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget Silo 13, Action Figure Domicile! I really think Dean should release that! Anyone notice the accurate description in it, and absolutely no mis-spelled words?

None of us have grown out of our love of toys...we've just evolved into overgrown kids with more disposable income. 

~Jenny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aint it cool?

OT, but a guy on Starship Modeler posted a thread about the new Doogal movie, consensus: most are glad they have kids so they've got an excuse to go see it. Then again what can expect from a bunch of grownups who build toy spaceships? And SSM has over 3500 members worldwide.

Yep, same guys. BTW, the real title of the film is The Magic Roundabout. It was originally a kids show in England in the late 60's and early 70's. The main character was a fuzzy dog named Dougal, which is who I named my cat after. I'm guessing they retitled it in North America since The Magic Roundabout didn't air here. And guessing they spelled it Doogal so that phonetically people would pronounce it correctly, being unfamiliar with the TV show. So it's actually the Magic Roundabout, and Dougal. But it looks good anyway, I just wished they'd left the original audio with the Brit actors rather than replacing them with US actors, hope the original audio is on the DVD when it's released. That being said it does look very good with the US voices.

Doogal: I can flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy .................................

no I can't.

I just wished they'd left the original audio with the Brit actors rather than replacing them with US actors, hope the original audio is on the DVD when it's released. That being said it does look very good with the US voices.

For your sake I wish you an Americanized "Office" rather than an Americanized "Coupling". And for those of you who got that...you are watching far too much BBC.

Hee...I thought the "Doogster" was a Doogie Howser reference. I had such a thing for Neil Patrick Harris when I was in junior high.

For your sake I wish you an Americanized "Office" rather than an Americanized "Coupling".  And for those of you who got that...you are watching far too much BBC.

Hee...I thought the "Doogster" was a Doogie Howser reference.  I had such a thing for Neil Patrick Harris when I was in junior high.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen bits of both, you can't make them any worse. They make Three's Company (a really lame ripoff of Man About the House) look like a really funny show.

Doogie Howser? Why don't you just insult my mother? ;)

For your sake I wish you an Americanized "Office" rather than an Americanized "Coupling".  And for those of you who got that...you are watching far too much BBC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now we have another topic! LOL

Yes I watch waaaayyyy too much BBC. I love bbc`s Cash in the Attic, absolutely HATE american version of same name.

I hope they dont even think about touching Footballer`s. (guilty pleasure here, dh doesnt get it.)

I have been following this post and it goes so fast I just have to respond to alot of your posts but havent figured the Multi quote yet :) As for the Bartz and Barbie issue My oldest daughter Rebecca gave all her barbie's to her little sister 3 and Rebecca is totally into Bratz's we have alot of fun :) Cortney calls all the Barbie's bratz :D As for the G.I Joe's there DEFENITLY not called DOLLS My son hes 10 hollers when ever I call them DOLLS :D As for Doogie Howser I rember him like it was yesterday and the A-team and Knight Rider come to mind :lol: Doogster you seriously crack me up by reading your posts at times :lol: I also have to say I have never learned soo much on message board at all and a Happy group of People :D I also have agree with the dollhouse people they need to be more realistc :p

Doogie Howser? Why don't you just insult my mother?
Hey! Neil Patrick Harris is a dish and a very good actor, so cut that out! :p Not to mention that "Doogie Howser" made nerds like me feel cool for a change.

Well, but I have to admit I never actually play with my minis... it's all about finding perfection in a small way that I can't find in my real life. And being creative. I wish I did play with my minis... I'd probably enjoy them more and be less stressed out about them!!! :)