Wood fillter vs. Spackle

eglefther

wood filler is another name for wood putty, which is used to fill gaps and holes in wood. Spackle is primarily for repairing holes and cracks in plaster, however, if you're planning on painting the wood, you can use spackle too. It can actually give you a smoother finish.

If you plan on staining the wood, stay away from spackle. Wood filler or putty doesn't take stain well, though there are stainable wood fillers. In the past, when I needed to stain wood putty, I'd sometimes give just the puttied area a light coat of paint that matched the stain.

I think stucco is more like spackle. I've come to love spackle. It hides a multitude of flaws, is easy to paint over, and leaves a real "finished" look to the house.

I think each has it's place, for sure. For me, it's not like I'll stop using wood putty, especially since I learned about all the different colors it comes in, and in neat squeezable tubes.. But it seems like the spackle is more versatile.

I like wood filler alot. I use a minwax filler and it has proven very stainable. In fact I like it so much I'm wondering if it would be better than grout to use as grout. I will be attaching cut stone veneer made from high density plaster to the outside of a plywood house. I thought that wood filler might be better than grout or spackling between the stone ... but I'm still wondering!

Lisa R.

Spackling compound is used in RL to smooth flaws in drywall & plaster. It can be used in mini to simulate plaster, stucco, stone, brick, etc. It's lovely to paint over.

Wood filler can be made from glue and sawdust and minute amounts of stain to match the wood finish you're trying to fill and sands nicely. I have never found a woodputty I was happy with either its sanding or staining properties.

IMO I wouldn't use either one if I want to use stain.

Stucco, spackle and plaster are all the same thing, just slightly different densities. I don't use them as gap fillers in wood, but I will use it to fill imperfections in wood that I am going to paint. I will also use it if I neglected to sand enough and the wood is slightly grainy. (Drag a putty knife of plaster across the grain and a quick sand by hand)

Wood fill is good for gaps if walls don't fit tight (or floors).