Coventry Cottage

Ms. Mini

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have so many wonderful "how toos" described in your blogs too which will be helpful for others.

I'm glad to hear it, I know it made my blog awfully long this time, and I'll try to summarize better next time, but I like minis because it gives my brain the exercise to problem-solve and when it works I want to share not only what did work, but what didn't. I appreciated Deb's mini tutorials, too. I also like to think it helps mitigate the primitive way I take pictures... <_<

I'm glad to hear it, I know it made my blog awfully long this time, and I'll try to summarize better next time, but I like minis because it gives my brain the exercise to problem-solve and when it works I want to share not only what did work, but what didn't. I appreciated Deb's mini tutorials, too. I also like to think it helps mitigate the primitive way I take pictures... <_<

If any of you have read my blog, you all will note that without all of you giving hints, tips and tutorials--I would be lost. So, unless you want to be bothered with a lot of pms, please don't summarize--there is some of us out there that needs every little detail. If not for a current project it is registered for future projects, or gives us a starting point to make something else happen.

Even little hints or descriptions help us lesser inexperience builders.

I liked the staining tutorial and the incredibly gorgeous resulting floors! I also appreciated the tower "bash" tutorial, it definitely has wheels turning & juices boiling. I'd like to know how Riley mounted the pins, that's a method of hanging doors I'd LOVE to try! And ya gotta love Melissa's bridal shop, it's just so darn cute! Deb had so many great tutorials with her samurai's house I can see elements for people's future bashes.

Holly I would like it explained to me in your simplest terms how to make a door which opens.

my door is ready to put together but I assume it is at this point you put material or ribbon in between the doors as well as the window? and to which door frame do you install it? inside or outside?

and would someone plz let me in on frosting glass...we use gallery glass?

clear would make it look frosted?

thanks...waiting for some answers!

lol

nutti <_<

I liked the staining tutorial and the incredibly gorgeous resulting floors! I also appreciated the tower "bash" tutorial, it definitely has wheels turning & juices boiling.And ya gotta love Melissa's bridal shop, it's just so darn cute! Deb had so many great tutorials with her samurai's house I can see elements for people's future bashes.

<grinning> I think this one little house has really shown itself to be totally adaptable to about anything anyone could come up with. I was looking thru the blogs today and was amazed at how different one house can be. None of them look like the same house even tho they are! That just fascinates me. And I love reading thru all the tutorials to see how things are done. I'm like Holly and it has my mind racing to all kinds of adaptations and I know I'll be looking to those tutorials for future houses. I'm starting on the Aster now and have been studying Tracy's brickwork with great interest while I consider the fireplace.

I'd like to know how Riley mounted the pins, that's a method of hanging doors I'd LOVE to try!

I'm really interested in that too. After the front doors on the Lily, I've decided I'm door challenged. <_< I picked up some sequin pins at Michael's this weekend thinking that they're long enough to do the job, sharp enough to go into the wood and cheap enough to experiment with. Now if I can figure out how to do it with a dutch door. This may take some serious thought and all the advice I can get!

Deb

I assume it is at this point you put material or ribbon in between the doors as well as the window? and to which door frame do you install it? inside or outside?
As I mentioned in my blogs, I use 1/2" X 1" strips of chamois leather, but you could use old-fashioned grosgrain ribbon, strips of denim, whatever sturdy fabric you want. Decide which edge of the doorway you want to hinge and glue the strips evenly spaced along the wrong side of that edge of the door front (this is after you have painted/ stained your door & the two parts have been sanded until they fit slightly loose in the doorway. If it's a front door with an acetate insert I'd insert that acetate now. Then glue the door halves together & mount the hardware (knobs, keyplates, etc).

Decide which direction you want your door to open and glue the other half of the strips to that side of the wall, and then glue the doorframe on top. I then stand the house on the side with the door and find something to weight the beejus out of the frame.

I spend a LOT of time beforehand clamping the door halves and taping the frame to get everything sanded so the door will move easily in the frame. I had to take all the Glencroft's doorways (and some of the windows) apart and resand EVERYTHING to get them not to "bind"!

and would someone plz let me in on frosting glass...we use gallery glass?

Why not try a white glue such as Elmer's on scraps leftover from the acetate windows, to see what you can come up with?

QUOTEI'd like to know how Riley mounted the pins, that's a method of hanging doors I'd LOVE to try!

I'm really interested in that too. After the front doors on the Lily, I've decided I'm door challenged. <_< I picked up some sequin pins at Michael's this weekend thinking that they're long enough to do the job, sharp enough to go into the wood and cheap enough to experiment with. Now if I can figure out how to do it with a dutch door. This may take some serious thought and all the advice I can get!

Deb

I figured it out!!! Hooray, I actually hung the interior door MYSELF!!!!!

I've taken pictures and will post in my blog later tonight, how I did it. But must get ready to attend a birthday party for one of the GK, so don't have time right now.

I'm so proud of me.

I am so proud of you TOO Peggi!!!!

Deb y ou are so right that all of our personality comes out when we build these houses. No matter what the box looks like, our own self pops itself out and shows on these wonderful kits!

Nutti, you can really make this door. Holly instructions are wonderful to follow!!

<_< if you do it step by step, Viola!! You got it!

the material goes on the outside of the door? not in between the door sections? wont it show?

maybe its just best to glue it in.

I was so into this house and now I just cant get into it at all.

my Lily keeps calling!

I did paint the kitchen and have some flooring to put in when I am satisfied with the paint job!

still at odds with the livingroom.

maybe Ill wait till peggy show and tells about her door pins.

someone plzzz splash me with some enthusiasim!

nutti <_<

the material goes on the outside of the door?
No, it goes along the edge of the wrong side of ONE of the door pieces.

glue the strips evenly spaced along the wrong side of that edge of the door front

Or the single strip, if that's how you're doing it.

If it's a front door with an acetate insert I'd insert that acetate now.
When you have done what you need to do to each half of the door,

Then glue the door halves together & mount the hardware (knobs, keyplates, etc).

When you glue the two halves together clamp them good & tight! I let mine dry in the clamps overnight.

Decide which direction you want your door to open and glue the other half of the strips to that side of the wall,
Do a dry fit first, to make sure the door doesn't bind; that is, that it will open & close the way you want it to.

and then glue the doorframe on top.

This is the doorway trim. The front door of my 1:1 scale house opens to the inside, so I glued the hinge strips of my Coventry front door to the inside edge of the wall. I ran a bead of glue around the door trim and lay it down on top of the door opening and taped the beejus out of the hinge side and the top edge and used little clamps along the open side of the doorway, but you can lay a heavy book and a paint can on top of the trim after you turn the house on its side, if you wish.

Hope that helps.

Peggi, please ask Riley to post (or let you post) his pin method of hanging a door, I'd really like to learn how because that's how the Houseworks doors are hung.

Peggi, please ask Riley to post (or let you post) his pin method of hanging a door, I'd really like to learn how because that's how the Houseworks doors are hung.

I've just finished posting in my Coventry Blog on how I did my doors. I hope it helps, if you have any questions or something is not clear, please feel free to let me know and I will try to explain better.

Oh, mini, mini thanks, Peggi, I had been wracking my poor ancient brain trying to figure how to get the lower pin into the floor without it going THROUGH the floor. I think I'll give it a try in the McKinley...

Woohooo! That helps soooooooo much! Now I'll have working doors in the Aster! <happy dancing> Thanks Peggi! And hug Riley for me too!

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

!Finished!

Well I finally finished! sooo exciting. and although I wasnt sure how I would like the paperclay shingles mainly because this was the first time doing them and it sure wasnt easy peasy! but after painting them I feel better. but yall can see more photos and hear all about it on the updated blog!

nutti :unsure:

post-9-1148361240_thumb.jpg

Great job, Sweetie! I really like the trim you used on the floor edges and your wainscots turned out so well I may "borrow" the idea for the McKinley, instead of my "usual" craft sticks. What did you use for the kitchen floor? It looks so good! I rather enjoyed reading the "nuttis", I call my "oopsies" learning experiences :unsure: !

Thanks for the heads up that Gallery Glass peels, I wonder how it'd work for flower petals...

YEAH It's Done!!!

oh yes it is!

Holly the kitchen floor is nothing more than cheep contact paper.

I had some woderful flooring all cut up to use for the kitchen and when I put it in....it CLASHED badly with the walls. so I had to pull out the old standby. or use siding strips as flooring but frankly by that point I was DONE! but I really like that paper for flooring!

oh and the rope looking trim can be got at Hobby Lobby in the unfinished wood area...its kind of pricey unless you do like me and get it when its 50% off. I think its like picture frame trim or something.

I just love to use it in some of the houses. it is also the crown molding in the coventry kitchen.

Nutti, it's just lovely! I can't believe you could do all that while recovering from major surgery! You're wonder woman! :unsure:

Deb

now remember Deb I had this house all the way built before sugery. all I really had left was the decorating

and those shingles!

I am doing so much better now!

already been in the pool. yesterday.

thanks for the nice words!

now remember Deb I had this house all the way built before sugery. all I really had left was the decorating

and those shingles!

That's even more Wonder Woman! In the weeks before my hysterectomy, I think all my liesure time was spent curled around the heating pad in a fetal position. ;)

I am doing so much better now!

already been in the pool. yesterday.

Yay!!! Go Nutti go! I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better and recovering so well. A few more rounds in the pool and you'll be tossing that Lily around like it was a Primrose. :unsure: :lol:

Deb

well I couldnt resist I dug out all the little things in the kit and fixed them up and added them to the house

just a few perks!

now to find it a new home.

nutti :blink: