Coventry Cottage

Ms. Mini

I've finally decided on what to do with mine. It's going to be a House of Inspiration and I am basing it on paintings by Van Gogh, Matisse, and Cezanne. I am getting pictures together to base the rooms on and I have started sanding.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo, Cat, if you put a divider wall upstairs you'd have a room proportioned like Van Gogh's bedroom (at Arles?)! What a cool idea. I think someone did a roombox like that for one of the mini magazines several years ago (pre- AM).

FYI for anyone interested, I finally got the photo software from the last two rolls of film to cooperate & I have begun to load the pictures into my Coventry blog. This takes time because I have dialup and I share the 'puter with DH.

I shall have to redo my screen porch, has to do with things fitting fine on layout that don't want to fit the actual porch slots *mumble, mumble*.

I shall have to redo my screen porch, has to do with things fitting fine on layout that don't want to fit the actual porch slots *mumble, mumble*.

Watch out veral cats. :p

My Cottage will probably be put on hold till after the weekend, I'm going to get to play with my real mini's the oldest GDs. But I have been sanding and sanding those edges. Holly, in some places I think your idea of the sanding sealer has helped then I hit a piece that just will not become smooth :D without a lot of sanding.

New foamcore floor has been cut, but waiting to measure twice and cut once before cutting any walls.

Peggi

I'm vertically siding the interior upstairs walls to give a "beadboard" effect. I cut my divider wall out of foamboard and sided it, too. No feral cats, I didn't mumble anything particularly *magic* :D

Well I finally got started on my coventry cottage last night and I am about to work on it some more tonight. I think all I will do tonight is start adding my hardwood floors. I use the Corona/Greenleaf siding strips for this. Ya Know, this house always suprise me. I always think it is smaller and it is really a good sized house.

I was gonna add a Tower but I don't have the time to put into it this time around (I promise to do it the next time :angry: ). I did add a room by omitting the porch. I started making the tower parts and I got them all cut out but I did not have time to edit the roof parts so that the tower would fit correctly. I also wanted to add 1 1/2" to upstairs by raising it a bit but since I am not doing the tower I am not gonna raise the roof. This house reminds me of a cottage that we looked at when we lived in Skokie Illinois. The design is almost the same too.

;)

It's a fun build and I am enjoying it!

All the pictures I have so far are loaded into my blog now :angry:

Holly, it's looking fantastic! I love the screened in porch! When I look at it, I can almost taste the lemonade and hear the frogs croaking by the pond.

I did add a room by omitting the porch.

I love the extra room bashed out of the porch Tracy! That really adds a lot of charm to the house. I love being able to peek inside doors to see little rooms tucked away like that.

Deb

I have uploaded some pics in the blog of my progress. I am having a blast building this. It is helping me get my creativity flowing again, as I am not purchasing much for this house, but using up supplies and scraps I have already. And learning new skills. I have learned how to run the mini table saw, cut siding, cut and glue something so that it is at a right angle, stain wood, and am currently learning how to lay hardwood flooring. The only thing Darrell has done for me was to adjust the saw blade to a certain depth and cut the grooves in some dowling for the clothing rack. He said those were tricky cuts for someone who has just learned to make a simple straight cut on the table saw.

Melissa

I really like the way all of your coventrys are looking!

its so innterresting to see the same house from differrent peoples!

lookin good!!

nutti :angry:

nutti is a peak to soon'er!

evrything was goin great.... must have lost my muse. ;)

That's when you walk away and go play in the yard, or make a quilt, or take a class. Get your mind completely off minis for a while & the muse will get p.o.'d and nag you with all sorts of ideas to get your attention back!

Holly,

Darrell is not working on this house. He is currently laying the floor boards in the country church, That church has been waiting about a year to get those boards in, I am not interupting his gluing progress now. Will be done laying the floor borads in the coventry as soon as the glue dries. Then I will need to varnish them until;l they shine. I am waiting on some wood to add walls into the attic and build some kneewall shelves. I am waiting on an archway overhead room divider from ebay to place in the main shop area. I also need to make a ton of dresses to go on the chothing racks and all the little stuff this house will hold. As soon as the main progress on this house, or the church is finished, I think I will build the Arthur for my friend.

Melissa

I am having a blast building this. It is helping me get my creativity flowing again, as I am not purchasing much for this house, but using up supplies and scraps I have already. And learning new skills.

Melissa

Woohoooo! Go Melissa!!! It sounds like your creativity isn't just flowing........it's more like Niagra Falls! I'm loving the whole thing! The colors are perfect for a bridal shop. I'm not a big fan of yellow either, but the shade you chose and the wallpaper are just right. And your dress rack is too cool! What I'm really dying to see is the dresses. Honestly, I can't wait to see your handiwork.

This little house does seem to stimulate a whole lot of creativity. I'm not sure exactly what there is about it, but it seems to speak to each person about the creative dream they've always wanted to try and then lends itself to that dream like it was made for it. I reeeeeeally do like this little house a lot.

Deb

Okay,

I love to see the other folks are building the Coventry. Thanks! I started mine (my first DH ever) in December, but thanks to school, kids and all that, have only gotten so far as to sand one piece. I love looking at all your pics!

Lori

Yup! I'm still here:) I cracked my heel on top of everything, so I'm so far behind it's crazy. I've stopped trying to catch up, and stick to the "has to be done or else" stuff.

Spring break is coming up, so I'm dedicating some time to the house then. If I can just get a SECOND piece ready for primer, I'll be thrilled.

I'm still here, and catch up on the reading when I can. I just saw that folks were working on my Cottage, and had to pipe up.

Other developments? The "owners" of my house have arrived, (a 3" porcelain whippet and irish wolfhound) and a theme has been chosen. It will be your basic house, but at the very end, touches such as muddy pawprints will be added. Just like home:)

Exterior will be a yet to be determined shade of purple. (It just looks so great on the houses I've seen!)

If I could only put the time I've spend imagining the house in to actual work hours!! I have the box near my desk, so the imagination stays fresh. Once I get ANYTHING done, I'll show off some pics. Right now, with one sanded piece, it's not much to look at.

Have a great day,

Lori

I finally got my pics edited and my blog started. I spent all weekend with this house and have had so much fun with it! I'm ready to start on the exterior now so I'll spend tomorrow researching the architectural features of japanese houses of that era and decide what which features I want to add to it.

Deb

I got a copy of Dover Publication's newest catalogue of architectural books, and they have some new titles in Chinese and Japanese houses & decor. You can check them out & order free catalogues from http://store.doverpublications.com/ . They also carry a heckuva lot of dollhouse books (including wallpaper & "stained glass" you can color yourself).

I got a copy of Dover Publication's newest catalogue of architectural books, and they have some new titles in Chinese and Japanese houses & decor. You can check them out & order free catalogues from http://store.doverpublications.com/ . They also carry a heckuva lot of dollhouse books (including wallpaper & "stained glass" you can color yourself).

I'd totally forgotten about Dover! I've used their stained glass patterns for needleturn applique but it hadn't occured to me to use them as a source for minis too! Way cool!!

<blazing off to check out the latest> Thanks Holly!!

Deb

I'm jealous of all of you. I just have not had time to get started on this (although I do look longingly at the box an awful lot!)

I'm about to go on vacation and then start my new job. I'm hoping sometime in April I can get cracking. In the meantime, everyone's pictures have been very inspiring!

I'm about to go on vacation and then start my new job. I'm hoping sometime in April I can get cracking. In the meantime, everyone's pictures have been very inspiring!

<waving bon voyage> Have a great time on your vacation Emily!

Deb

I have posted some pictures in the Coventry builders bog of my progress. I have also posted some pictures in the Darrell and melissa blog of the bridesmaids dresses I made for his shop. I am currently working on dressing maniquins for the front window, I will then move on to making a rack and wedding dresses to hang on that.

Melissa

I have posted some pictures in the Coventry builders bog of my progress. I have also posted some pictures in the Darrell and melissa blog of the bridesmaids dresses I made for his shop. I am currently working on dressing maniquins for the front window, I will then move on to making a rack and wedding dresses to hang on that.

Melissa

Melissa, I'm totally stunned speechless over your dresses! They're breathtaking!! <standing and applauding> Wow! I'm not sure how you do such delicate needlework, but it's absolutely gorgeous!

Deb