how to attach doll hair?

miniwendy

OK, I seem to have dug myself a hole here, and don't know how to get out!!

I recently got some used little 3 inch porcelain dolls from someone and thought I'd dress them up and let them live in my dh. They had little hats glued onto their hair, and when I tried to take one off, it pretty much ruined her hair. That being said, I never really liked the hair. So, I went ahead and began taking it the rest of the way off thinking that I could just make some kind of a little wig out of wool yarn, and glue it on myself.

Much to my surprise, I come to find out that dolly has had a lobotomy, and actually has a big hole in the top of her head! It looks like that is just how she was made. What do I do about the hole? Is there a tutorial with really good pictures showing how to make a wee wig and attach it over a hole? I tried some sites with written tutorials, but they all assumed I knew more than I do (which is a whole lotta nothing!) and without any pictures, I was lost! :lol:

Thanks!

Wendy

When I did porcelian dolls we used styrofoam balls and cut them up ( like a dome shape) to make the rest of the head. You could also use clay to make the rest of the head and glue it to the doll and add the hair on top. What kind of hair style were you looking for? If you wanted a simple bun style, spread out a thin layer of glue on the head and start at the outer edge and coil the hair around until you get to the "bun". You may have to stop and hold the hair in place untill the glue starts to hold. Then just put a small amount of glue where you want the bun and wrap the hair around in a bun until you get the size you want. Cut off the extra and tuck the end in and your done.

Sorry abou the spelling. My teeth are giving me a headache

I have some styrofoam balls, so I'll put one in, and maybe clay over the top of that for extra measure.

Its a little kid doll, so maybe I can do 2 buns, like one on each side of her head. That would actually be pretty darned cute!! Here's hoping she turns out looking like a cute little kid and I don't instead create a bizzarro mini princess leia :lol:

Thanks!

Wendy

Thanks for the tutorial link, and the glue advice!

The tut on how to make a wig for a doll w/ a hole in the head was helpful. I never realized you'd use that much hair! This ought to be interesting- I'll post pics when I finish (maybe! :fish1: )

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the doll. Ran into the same problem with a porcelain baby once, and ended up stuffing his head with kleenex, and glueing a new bonnet on him. It wasn't the look I was hoping for, but turned out O.K. Let us see what you do to yours, and how it turned out. I haven't unwigged anyone since that episode. LOL

And......hair!!

I think I'll end up giving her two fat braids. Then I'll just need to make her some clothes. She is really unhappy about me leaving her in the scrunchy little dress she came in. But, I've been threatening to name her "Polly Esther" if she doesn't show a little patience, so she's quieted down for now. :angry:

attach_add.png

post-3298-1222391275_thumb.jpg