Glencroft troubles

Brandon

Maybe I am just trying to assemble it incorrectly, but wall "F" seems to be more than an inch too tall. If someone knows if this wall faces the front of the house, or faces the left side (as you face the house from the front) that would be a big help!

I don't know about that one Brandon, because I haven't built it yet. Perhaps Judith knows, because she has built it .... I have sent her an email and will wait for her to respond. Jimmy and I will begin building a Glencroft in the next few weeks, if you can wait that long ...

Cool Brandon! Both on the closing of your house (isn't that nerve wracking!), and being able to hold on the Glencroft temporarily. I was a nervous wreck on the first house that I bought, but the second house wasn't too bad ... but, gosh, all that packing, moving, yuck! Hate that stuff!

Jimmy and I should begin building probably close to mid-June. If you have pix of what you are talking about, can you go ahead and put them into webshots? Kinda like when I am building a house, I do a current projects album which is step-by-step? Let me know! I am thrilled to be able to build with someone! Hopefully you, Jimmy and I can get this one figured out!

Oh, dear, I was hoping y'all could figure this one out before mid-June; if I can get the kit before we leave next week I want to try to build it on the road and I surely won't have any way to figure out wall F!

Sorry Holly! Hubby and I are leaving in the morn for a much needed vacation, and we won't be back until the following Sunday. Of course, Judith may know about it ...

hmm ... I looked at the plans for the Glencroft and that piece is on the end of the house that I bashed. I didn't even use many of the pieces. I did look at all the pieces before the bash and I remember some confusion about some of the pieces -- but then everything goes blank.

I will keep thinking about this problem. I will have some time later this morning to look at the Glencroft.

Sorry, I could not be immediate help.

:blink:

:D Brandon, I wouldn't be much help either. As far as I have progressed on the glencroft--(labeling the pieces--too many!) I would have to go back and look at piece F....... :D I had picked out papers, etc. but hadn't decided on lamps, or lighting fixtures........and the Glencroft is a biggie! It sits in the box underneath my den coffee table--I myself am thinking of bashing it too.

Judith, did you have trouble on the staircase? That was one of the reasons I got the house--I liked the winding staircase--but putting wallpaper in this house looks like a literal nightmare on Elm Street--along with wiring it! :blink:

Lisa -- I didn't use the (pieces of) the staircase that came with the kit. I did start putting it together, but then I decided that since I wanted a straight run staircase I would just buy a narrow staircase to use.

Hanging wallpaper on the second floor was "interesting" but more doable than I had thought it would be. I made templates of all the areas I wanted to paper (best done before putting the house together), made sure they were still accurate when I was ready to wallpaper, then cut the wallpaper using the templates. The other thing I did (that I think simplied hanging) was to paste the walls and then put dry paper on the walls. I use YES glue which allows a lot of final positioning and re-positioning! It is slow-going and I had to remember to stay "cool" :blink:

Thanks for the tips Judith. I remember spending a whole afternoon going through this kit to make sure everything was there.........and the staircase looks tricky putting it together.......I might cheat a little bit on different things. The template idea is a great one....and especially the glue. I might buy that special glue you mentioned so I can have some re-positional latitude when hanging the paper.

Brandon, I have arrived at Wall "F", it's the front side of the chimney. the long tab fits under the first floor and butts up to the edge of wall "E", the little tab goes into the slot next to & just below the woodbox.

Did you know to carefully & thoroughly sand the slots for the partition & the second floor before installing it? I didn't, but a few "gentle" taps of the hammer got them together... I have the first floor supported under the left wall with a dictionary on the bedroom floor & a Merck Manual on the bathroom floor to weight things so the left interior wall will be glued like it's supposed to.

Brandon I have arrived at part F and I am inclosing a photo.

I did try to put it in the wrong place and it would not go.

I hope it helps.

nutti :lol:

post-9-1118114418_thumb.jpg

Yay!! you all are the best! I was out of town for a while, but am thrilled to know that my problem isnt a problem after all! Cant wait to finish my house now! I move into my new REAL house a month from today. How hectic this summer has been---puttin everything in storage til the new place was ready, basically having to move twice!

always glad to help when we can!

now I need some! :D

I was soo happy as I got ready to build awhile....it was just after gluing the staircase when I realised the DIRECTIONS clearly read "do not glue"

than it happened the next step I have no idea what the directions mean.

step B-5 beam sections 2a and 2b

first Im not sure how they are suppose to glue together and 2nd where does it specificly go??

a photo of a finished one properly placed would help so much. I know it goes on the staircase.....and have I made a huge boo boo by gluing??

not that I cant tear it apart like I have several things on this house already! :lol:

I do not blame the build only the builder! I take full credit for all the mistakes. :p

I lost my favorite screw driver the very first day of this build and still have not found it! :o and its a very small and open area!

but thats what makes the adventure so much fun!

nutti :blink:

Gee, all the fun I missed by bashing that end of the building! -- But it sounds as if you all are having a lot of fun, and that is the name of the game :lol:

:D

this is a general question....how do I put the rocks on my house

I have aquarium rock to use on my chimney and fireplaces my question is how do I do it. I have made 2 samples one with spackle and rocks with modpodge on top to help kep the rocks from falling off

the 2nd sample I used the spackle with a touch of grey and some glue mixed in.

but still my rocks fell off...not all of them but I dont want any to fall off

plzz help

nutti :p

Hi, all.

I am newbie and have accomplished my first mission- learning to post.

I completed the Glencroft last year, and can't remember wall numbers, or specifics, but do have some general hints.

1. Read the directions and highlight where it says not to glue, etc.

2. Dry fit pieces together - I did this for the whole house before I glued, so I had an idea where the fireplaces, chimney and stairs fit together.

3. The front roof is curved over the door. Before trying to attach the roof, wet the wood and bend around a large wastepaper basket, allow to dry. Makews fitting and clamping much easier!

4. The beams are glued together in pairs, except those against each wall. As I recall, there are 2 split beams,which fit on either side of the stairwell box on the ceiling. The one against the wall is a single, with no pair.

5. I finished all the walls and floors before assembly - I'm no good with wallpapering in enclosed spaces. (That's also why I didn't wire!)

re: attaching stones - I used an applied paste/brick template, so don't have experience here. Why don't you go to the hardware store and see if you can get a product used to lay ceramic tiles, etc. If that's not the right thing to use, perhaps the staff could recommend something.

Hope this helps!

Linda McD from NOTL

Nutti -- i ahve made teo stone chimneys and have not had the stone fall off. (Toad Hall (Max) and Badger's Hollow (March-Alleyn cottage).

I mixed spackle with a small amount of Elmer's white glue and put a good coating of spackle on an amount of chimney. Then I took one stone at a time and applied a small amount of the spackle-glue mix to its "bottom", then a pushed the stone into the previously applied spackle on the chimney. Hold for a moment or two. They never fell off. AND when the spckle-glue mix dries, the whole thing is "hard as a rock". The house will fall down before the chimney.

Hope this helps.

:p

I am so glad that Nutti asked that question I also bought some aquarium stones for the chimney on the Willow. I thought of using spackle but didn't think of adding glue. Thanks Judith for the information. B) Barbara

On my sugarplum that is landscaped I used stones too, Judith's sounds less messier than mine........I used joint compound in the gun, and smoothed it on. stuck in my rocks with a dab of elmer's on each one, and haven't had problems with them falling out of the compound. I also cheated on that fireplace chimeny, and completely cut out a whole chimney section so it would be more pronounced!

• 2 weeks later...

For the stones on my sugarplum, I used a tan liquid nails, which seemed to work pretty well. Of course, I planned all along to wash over everything with paint to "dull" the stones, so Im not sure how the liquid nails would have looked otherwise.