New to the Forum

Mishigoss

Welcome to the neighborhood! It's great to see another fan of 1:6th scale!! I made my youngest a roombox for her barbie doll a few months ago. You can see the pictures here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=24550 :lol:

Hi Debbie :lol:

Welcome to the neighborhhood.

I have a number of Barbies (counted in the hundreds). When shrinking full scale items for playscale reduce your item to .167 of the original. This is great for all those little accessories which make a vignette feel real. Jim's Print MInis has a lot of playscale printable items.

As for furniture, I would take a 1/12 scale item, subract any edge overlap (there's probably a more correct term, I think of it as seem allowance), double the proportions, then add back any edge. Most of my projects in playscale are making over furniture to a more pleasing appearance.

I believe there are some Playscale house intructions from Houseworks. I like townhouses, personally because they don't take up much floorspace.

I also have triple digit quantities of barbies and very close to 4 digits now.

I have little vignettes set up. Mostly I go by what looks good. I have a lot of re-ment stuff. Blythe is small enough to use some 1/12 scale stuff for. You can get stuff at the dollar store that looks good. I find repainting cheap plastic stuff makes it look pretty good. The bookcase house that (I think) Michaels has looks like it would be a good size for her.

Thank you all for the nice welcome!

And WOW, these tips are just fantastic (I especially like the one about making furniture) - exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you so much!

I also LOVE the design of the Room Box, but one question: What IS a room box? Is it just what it sounds ilke - a single room? Regardless, that one is very much what I'm looking to create for my Blythes.

Thanks everyone, I've been here an hour and all these helpful suggestions already! :lol:

Debbie

Welcome to the forum family, Debbie. Mini of us are hoping that Greenleaf will re-release the Barbie-scale dollhouse kits one day. I collect dolls, and I have a couple of Barbies in the mix. I also rescue dolls (and toys) to refurbish and re-dress for Toys for Tots, including Barbie-scale dolls. I also make dolls (not Barbie scale), but lately in 1:12.

Yes, a roombox is just what it sounds like - a five sided box that is one room. the front is open or is plexiglass. They are great for single room displays and you can stack them. You can faux paint scenes behind glued on windows or doors. Or use printies (copies printed on the computer) or old cards. You can make your own box or purchase them. You can hang them on the wall or stack them on a table or use them as spacers on a bookcase.

For furniture, you can use something as simple as a small box and cover it in fabric to make a couch or a bed.

I have been helping my oldest daughter create a bigger roombox. This is my child who loves extremes :monkeydance: she like very smale scaled houses or very large ones lol when I get back home I'll take pictures of it.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I came across some patterns for play scale furniture in my library. Can't remember the name of the book though. Some of the patterns used cardboard (think cereal boxes) for the furniture.

Hi Debbie, welcome to the forum! ;) I have some Barbies, but nothing like the collection my SIL has! She has a display case that shows off about 50, and she rotates her dolls so the display changes every so often. (The rest have to wait their turn - packed away.)

Welcome. I'm not sure how big Blyth is but I have the Kitchen Littles stove and refrigerator and I made a sink because they discontinued them before I got the whole set. I have lots of the food, dishes, etc in 1/6 scale. It works great for Barbie. I'm one of those waiting for the GL 1/6 house. You will get lots of ideas here. I saw a whole Barbie house a long time ago in Barbie Bazaar. Also a whole wall of shelves made into room boxes for Barbie. :wave: