Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

I found these at Joann's today.  Jewelry making and beads are 50% off this week. Yes, that is a tiny little garden gnome. :) He is about 3/4 of an inch tall. 

So sad to hear about Ron's retirement.  It was my dream for years (decades) to go there, and I finally did a couple of years ago. Amazing shop.  I'm glad I got the chance, I probably won't again. 

DSCN9513.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎14‎:‎46‎, minilover62 said:

Hi people, I went to Orlando last week and on Tuesday I visited Ron's Shop in downtown for the first time. It is an amazing store with tons of mini items. I spent over there at least an hour, and deciding what to get was very very hard (I wanted the complete store!). My husband went with me, and the poor man stay seated at the entrance patiently waiting for me. After lots of thoughts, I bought a 1/4 scale house kit that called my attention big time, it is a beautiful kit and that was the first time that I saw it . Ron didn't gave me a name for the kit (the kit has the instructions, but it doesn't include a name), and after lots of searches when I went back home, I found out that this is the Nana's House kit. I can't wait to start building it! It will be my first 1/4 scale house and I feel very happy and excited! On a sad note, Ron told me that they will be closing in about 2 years; after 27 seven years he said it is time to retire. I was fresh enough to ask him what were they going to do with all that stuff, and he said that keep some of it or try to sale the rest. I hope they change their minds and stay put a little longer!

anan__49446.1422633402.1280.1280.jpg

Isn't Ron's wonderful!?  Just LOVE shopping there when we go visit my son and daughter-in-law!  This last time I didn't really have anything in particular I was looking for, so I eventually purchased the most wonderful little hand-painted tea set!  :) 

I have a few little things that I don't really want to 'sell' because I'd rather have someone who really wanted them HAVE them -  they're sort of unique. 

One is a very tiny Viewmaster - probably 1:24 size (metal with 2 tiny reels), an old-fashioned hand crank 'mixer' that is inside a little square jar, and a pair of wooden window shades (that don't roll up - 6 1/4" X 2 1/8" long X 1/4" deep. 

Is there a good way to find someone who wants them to enjoy (not just to resell)?

This AM we were in Big Lots! and they had fairy garden items that will work in 1:12.  I got two packets of "iron" fencing (there's also a trellis, but they didn't have it), a mailbox and a wheelbarrow.  There were some other items that would make good mini landscape features.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2016, 4:37:05, Deb said:

I got minis in the mail today!  Wooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!   I'm a huge fan of IGMA artisan Bertie Pittman and his incredible turnings.  I think I bought the first vase back in 2008 and have gradually just started a collection.  Usually Bertie sells only on ebay and I prefer to buy rather than bid so I was thrilled when he posted a link for his store on his own website.  I totally fell in love with the "Desert Sunrise" --- a poly resin blend of sparkling goldstone with swirls of pearly ivory.  Oh my goodness, it's soooooooooooooo pretty.  The pictures don't do justice to the way the light plays on the colors and creates such beautiful, shifting undertones.  I think this one will go live in the steampunk observatory along with a mini oil painting of a desert sunset that I picked up at the mini museum in Tuscon. 

large.gold.jpg.9934fc67cfe90da7e57caeffe 

Here's the link for Bertie's website which also has links for his etsy and ebay stores as well.  http://www.bertiesdollhouseminiatures.com/index.htm

Thank you for posting this. I just bought the most beautiful little purple vase from him. It is gorgeous. I am so happy with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Love that purple vase!

It changes/shifts to a shimmery color in the light!!! It's dyed, turned plywood. The gentleman I bought it from had so many beautiful pieces, too.   It's the only time in my life I wished I could win the lotto because there was some wonderful craftsmanship everywhere I looked. 

6 hours ago, cloudbound said:

Are the prices at the shows good? 

I don't know? For me there was sticker shock, but that is because I am new to miniatures. Some things I know I couldn't make on my own & there is pure artwork, experience or skilled craftsmanship involved. There were some things that didn't seem worth the asking price. It really depends on what you want. I spoke to a few people and they spend money on specific things only & they make other items.  One table told me they got into their craft because they couldn't afford to buy all the items they specifically liked, so they learned to make them. I kept looking at everything & wondered how they made things. I specifically splurged on a vase, a bronze figure & a mechanical toy that totaled to around $150. 

• Like 2

Yeah, when you find out how many hours they worked on something you understand why the prices are what they are. I aspire to be able to buy a piece of some of these incredibly talented artisans - some day. 

An example is Layne Halliday - all her work is wood, inlaid. This desk is one I saw at the show that simply amazed me. 

fb7d747a-5032-e58a-ce3b-92d6a30ccc2e.jpg

• Like 2

I met Ferd and his wife!!!! I was blown away by their work and you can definitely tell why it's costs what it does! They even have layaway! I can't remember the table/name, but there was a lady not far from the Sobel table who made orchids that were to die for and there is no way I could afford those either :(  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trinh said:

I met Ferd and his wife!!!! I was blown away by their work and you can definitely tell why it's costs what it does! They even have layaway! I can't remember the table/name, but there was a lady not far from the Sobel table who made orchids that were to die for and there is no way I could afford those either :(  

Ooo,  you LUCKY!!!

A friend gave me the dollhouse that was made for her daughters by a family friend. They've outgrown it and the family is moving. She wanted it to go to someone who would care for it. I'm thinking grey stucco with white trim and a stone fireplace and corners. Simple and no electricity.
http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=119922

• Like 1

I briefly talked to Ferd too! He was so nice. I was standing toward the back of a crowd of people huddled around his table, not getting too close because I knew my money had been allocated on a chandelier and a commode already, but still wanting to admire. Ferd read my name tag, and pronounced my name right, and pulled out a jig he uses to make his caning to show me. I thought he was so nice. I would love to get something from him next time. I really liked his set of three nesting tables. 

On April 16, 2016 at 1:20:13 PM, Trinh said:

I don't know? For me there was sticker shock, but that is because I am new to miniatures. Some things I know I couldn't make on my own & there is pure artwork, experience or skilled craftsmanship involved. There were some things that didn't seem worth the asking price. It really depends on what you want. I spoke to a few people and they spend money on specific things only & they make other items.  One table told me they got into their craft because they couldn't afford to buy all the items they specifically liked, so they learned to make them. I kept looking at everything & wondered how they made things. I specifically splurged on a vase, a bronze figure & a mechanical toy that totaled to around $150. 

I agree. It was my first show too and I was a bit surprised at the prices but some things I definitely felt the prices were warranted because I know no matter what, I could not make those things. I taught myself, well, almost, stuck on one thing, to make chandeliers with brass tubing for the wires but I could never make one like Frank Crescente so when I splurged to order one of his, I felt it was justified because I will never be able to achieve that level.

I think when my last child goes to school full time, I'm going to go take some pottery classes. I've got to learn to make more of this stuff I want without breaking the bank.

That's one of the cutest 1/4" scale houses I have ever seen! I love all these turned vases y'all are getting. I see some on eBay often and I am really tempted to get a few.

I am sad to hear that about Ron's. I was just thinking about that shop the other day, thinking about how lucky to have such a magnificent shop to go to when we're in FL at Disney. We are going in the fall and I will make sure and stop in there again and get a few special things before they close up. Last time my husband bought me a silver centerpiece that's one of my two best miniatures. I also got the best Wedgwood style plates there. But I'm happy Ron had so many years of doing what he loves and hope he enjoys his retirement.