Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

So I went to the Elegant Dollhouse parking lot sale and came away with lots of stuff.  I however am not able to load pictures so I cant show them off:cry:  I was also hoping for a lot of 1/2 scale items but they didnt have much but I had a good time while I was there.  I was then going to go to Hobby Lobby only to remember on my way there that they are closed on Sundays!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Half scale score today! I responded to a Craigslist ad for the front opening Victorian, already built but not totally finished, for $50. Besides coming with all its components (including stairs, a French door, shingles, shutters), there was also a box with a few furnishings and accessories, the d. Anne Ruff half scale furniture kit, AND there was another half scale Colonial in the seller's garage, the guy was like "Do you want this too?" Um, yeah.

I actually have the front opening Victorian kit and components in my stash, bought years ago during a Miniatures.com April Fool's sale. I figured I can sell that kit for at least $50 someday and recoup what I just spent.

I always envisioned this house as a 1940s decrepit farmhouse, so I don't know if I'll keep the pink paint. The house is attached to the wooden base. It's tapewired. Unfortunately the gingerbread trim on the front got crushed at some point after the photo was posted on Craigslist - possibly in the car coming home, I'm not sure - but I don't know if I would have kept it, anyway.

craigslist1.jpg.5297e77c6ee5b68275bbe564

craigslist4.jpg.712cc81cfd67dbc248dd482d

craigslist2.jpg.b4ba162e14d5653c3e95ff9f

The Colonial is in sadder shape and I don't know if I'll keep it, but I don't say no to free. (I had *just* finished telling my long-suffering spouse that I wouldn't be getting any new dollhouses after this one, so he was cringing as the bonus dollhouse went into the car...)

craigslist3.jpg.27d5425475923a565416b398

craigslist5.jpg.3f219207b6e987ffd0c56815

• Like 6

15 hours ago, fov said:

Half scale score today! I responded to a Craigslist ad for the front opening Victorian, already built but not totally finished, for $50. Besides coming with all its components (including stairs, a French door, shingles, shutters), there was also a box with a few furnishings and accessories, the d. Anne Ruff half scale furniture kit, AND there was another half scale Colonial in the seller's garage, the guy was like "Do you want this too?" Um, yeah.

I actually have the front opening Victorian kit and components in my stash, bought years ago during a Miniatures.com April Fool's sale. I figured I can sell that kit for at least $50 someday and recoup what I just spent.

I always envisioned this house as a 1940s decrepit farmhouse, so I don't know if I'll keep the pink paint. The house is attached to the wooden base. It's tapewired. Unfortunately the gingerbread trim on the front got crushed at some point after the photo was posted on Craigslist - possibly in the car coming home, I'm not sure - but I don't know if I would have kept it, anyway.

craigslist1.jpg.5297e77c6ee5b68275bbe564

craigslist4.jpg.712cc81cfd67dbc248dd482d

craigslist2.jpg.b4ba162e14d5653c3e95ff9f

The Colonial is in sadder shape and I don't know if I'll keep it, but I don't say no to free. (I had *just* finished telling my long-suffering spouse that I wouldn't be getting any new dollhouses after this one, so he was cringing as the bonus dollhouse went into the car...)

craigslist3.jpg.27d5425475923a565416b398

craigslist5.jpg.3f219207b6e987ffd0c56815

Ummm Emily if you want to sell the Victorian Kit - let me know.  You got a great deal.  Wish I could find deals like this!!(that I dont have to travel so far for)

You never know about free things. I had friends that went to buy an endurance horse and the seller threw in a free horse as a bonus. That free horse became the top endurance horse in the country and won the World Champion International Endurance Race 3 times. Never say no to free.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I got to visit a brick and mortar store in Duluth, MN last week! I got a few new treasures which are in my Finds album. The lady has lots of house kits, even some that aren't seen very often any more. She's willing to ship so feel free to contact her (her card is pictured in the album) if there's something you're looking for. :)

I few weeks back A friend sent me an Ebay link for an Artply Highland kit that she knew I have been after. That kit sold for $252 plus shipping so even though I wanted it badly, I decided I had to let it go because I just got the Gypsy Caravan kit and with my kids going back to school it would have been very irresponsible from me to buy this kit. So I sobbed and let go. Last Saturday I was combing Craigslist on my area, when Boom! I found a posting of a finished Highland for $85! I couldn't believe it! I texted the seller right away and it was still available like waiting for me to find it! Yesterday I drove 2 hours by myself too pick it up, and it is placidly set on my basement waiting her turn to tell what she wants me to do with her! Ia m so excited that I still can't believe, it all happened so fast! The seller told me that her grandfather built it for her in the 80's when she was 6 and that she never played much with it, and that she decided to let it go to have more room in her house. Her loss was my gain. The house needs a bit of work, but the parts are present, even a patio furniture that he built for her. I love the blue floor on one of the rooms, which I will leave intact since it is pretty good. I am already  thinking about options for rehab. Yeahh!

00R0R_2W5PYHJFU6q_600x450.jpg

00q0q_4OMt8EKzYyX_600x450.jpg

00T0T_2K1nBn9dagX_600x450.jpg

00y0y_6e09srAeebw_600x450.jpg

00606_elOxpeEZiWB_600x450.jpg

00o0o_80SvikCib1D_600x450.jpg

00a0a_fqB1UD7UXXh_600x450.jpg

00I0I_7OC75CIKKkF_600x450.jpg

00I0I_cTHkqpotTtw_600x450.jpg

00k0k_8iPpe6t57cH_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, cloudbound said:

Holly - I'm tickled PINK for you.  I'd love to get to see that one close up.  It looks like they did a really nice job assembling it.  This was MEANT TO BE!

That was Carmen's find, and a gorgeous one it is, too!  That blue floor is an eye catcher, all right.

Fingers crossed...I may have a Craigslist find coming home with me later this week. It's a RGT Front-Opening Shoppe (like this one, which I believe is an older version). It's put together & shingled but not painted, and appears to be missing the front door and one of the sidelight window panels right next to it, but for $30 I can work with that. I *never* manage to get the cool Craigslist deals...this feels too good to be true. 

The funny thing is, if I'd seen the photos of the finished shop that RGT uses, I'd probably never be interested. They tend to do it up in pastel colors with gingerbread trim. But the photos from CL are plain, unadorned except for the scalloped things (again, not my fav, but I can work with them), and it's really appealing to me like that. Not entirely sure what I'll do with it yet, but I'm excited to bring it home and start planning.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a super deal on a Foxhall Manor on Craigslist and the lady said she would include a bedroom set she was saving for the house - it was all wrapped up in white boxes and I had no idea what she had given me until I got home.  Later that night I unwrapped a beautiful $400 Bespaq bedroom set!  It was like Christmas and my birthday all in one!  I wish I could afford enough Bespaq furniture to fill up even a small house to match, but I'm probably going to sell this and recoup my money.  Pretty awesome deal, though!  Can't wait to get the house itself into my upstairs apartment - the shell is already built and she's heavy!

Bespaq haul.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreativitea75 said:

Got a super deal on a Foxhall Manor on Craigslist and the lady said she would include a bedroom set she was saving for the house - it was all wrapped up in white boxes and I had no idea what she had given me until I got home.  Later that night I unwrapped a beautiful $400 Bespaq bedroom set!  It was like Christmas and my birthday all in one!  I wish I could afford enough Bespaq furniture to fill up even a small house to match, but I'm probably going to sell this and recoup my money.  Pretty awesome deal, though!  Can't wait to get the house itself into my upstairs apartment - the shell is already built and she's heavy!

Bespaq haul.jpg

If you like Bespaq, why not keep the set?  I would definitely go for dressing that bed and reupholstering the day bed.

• Like 1

I googled Bespaq bedroom, as I never  head of it. ++gulp++   I'm flooded buy how beautiful and expensive the furniture there is. Beyond my price range.. Great find!! kreativ! I would totally sell it. Unless you can afford similar quality for other rooms. You could furnish entire house for the cost on that one room. 

Unfortunally,  no geat finds. Yet.   I keep searching. 

Life is strange sometimes,Emily, because for a long time while I was looking for a Highland, I always kept on my mind that you have a kit, and I was several times tempted to tell you that if you ever thought of selling it I would gladly took it off your hands. This is how far I had as a possibility that I will ever find a kit let alone a built one house, and voila! it just happen, I found one. By the way, I bought air dry terra cotta clay to try to make the spanish tiles. Will see soon if it works or not. If I don't like them, I guess cedar shingles will have to be, maybe I can paint the shingles with a brick color. 

Just FYI after much mo eye and days of attempts -

I used an air dry terra cotta clay, for tiles, and they kept snapping cause too thin

ended up with white air dry clay and painted them terra-cotta, since they were floor tiles it is okay they are shiny.  I've always thought that if i do it again, I'll try a chalk paint, maybe not so shiny

4 hours ago, smjsome said:

Just FYI after much mo eye and days of attempts -

I used an air dry terra cotta clay, for tiles, and they kept snapping cause too thin

ended up with white air dry clay and painted them terra-cotta, since they were floor tiles it is okay they are shiny.  I've always thought that if i do it again, I'll try a chalk paint, maybe not so shiny

Air Dry Paperclay is preferred, no success with plain Air Dry Clay. The glue and bits in the Paperclay prevents breaking and cracking no matter the thickness.

• Like 1