Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

The same store had a Dura-Craft Lafayette with some furniture, and even though it was displayed in the toy section it was on a top shelf with a note to anyone wanting to take it down to look at it to put it back up there, since children weren't to play with it in the store; SOMEBODY figured out handmade dollhouses need supervision with little kids!

• Like 1

I couldn't resist this tiny OOAK infant on Ebay one night.  I ordered it on Jan 2nd and it was supposed to be here by the 11, but only just arrived today.  The seller asked me to give it more time since it was from UK, and mail was backed up from the holiday. I just fell in love with the wispy hair, and such a cute tiny nose!  The arms and legs are movable.  Now I have been thinking of a cradle lol

IMG_1559resize.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I keep a list of things in a folder on my desktop of stuff I want to buy some day - key word: want. Most times I just go through and make a mass deletion after the auction's ended or whatever and start over again.  But recently, I was saving up some stuff in the folder to buy for Lisa's birthday and my mom's birthday. Tuesday before last, I was on a Skype call and while talking, was just going down the list buying the birthday items. Totally not paying attention, I also bought this:

5aad765dad7a7_bathroomset.thumb.jpg.bbf6

Fortunately, it was less than half the price of the other Reutter bathroom sets I'd seen and better yet, I realized what I'd done when I hit Buy It Now and stopped after this item. But I decided rather than try to resell it, I'd keep it because I do really like it. However, birthday folders and Buy folders are now two separate things. I'm apparently too ditzy to do two things at once and I don't want to end up buying someone's Ferrari on eBay the next time I'm buying gifts for someone and yapping on the phone.

I think I'll use this wallpaper for the bathroom set:

5aad77ea03f45_wallpaper.jpg.9858bc806b0b

Now I have to think of what tiles I want to use. Gold ones?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Now I have to think of what tiles I want to use. Gold ones?

Gold may look too heavy with the dark paper.

I'd think more like white with blue accents. Maybe gold accents, but that seems to me to be edging too close to a mideastern sheik's over-the-top palace.

Depends on the look you're going for, but I would keep the tile quiet so as not to fight with the fixtures or wallpaper. I'd think about using the paper on an accent wall, not all three.

I have this exact set. Not sure when or where I got it, but have no idea how to use it. It was in the powder room of the original quilt shop, but I no longer have that house, so the set lives in the architectural recycle bin. :D 

• Like 1

That's a beautiful set, Kelly.  I like the wallpaper, too.  Do you have a photo of the set against the backdrop of the paper?

Are you going for a period feel?  I wasn't sure because of the position of the tank on the toilet ... 

If this is for a contemporary setting, my first thought for your floor was translucent honey-coloured glass tiles, with gold flecks.

I see Kathie has replied while I type this ... better post before another member does the same!

I agree with Kathie's point about an accent wall.

Do you have a theme in mind?

Edited by Shy Spirit
To reply to Kathie's post that was made while I was typing my previous message.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, is it too over-the-top for your Bohemian Inn?

Waaaay too over the top. Some of the trekker/hostel style rooms will have thunder mugs. The public restroom adjacent to the restaurant/kitchen will be primitive enough that some diners may choose not to use it. :D 

Well, Kelly, I think the paper looks lovely with the set, but instead of an accent wall, I'd do paper up top and white beadboard or wainscoting on the bottom of the walls. Full on paper over the whole wall would be too dark, I think. As to tiles, I like the idea of mixing in blue accented on white with plain white tiles. I think it'll look very elegant when done, whichever direction you choose. Looking forward to seeing the finished room!

• 3 weeks later...

The hubs and I have fallen sucker to a couple of online shopping sites and I ordered a jointed couple that were supposed to look like these:  https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1KnFFexrI8KJjy0Fpq6z5hVXab/Doub-K-Action-Figure-Toys-Artist-Movable-Limbs-Male-Female-13cm-joint-body-Model-Mannequin-bjd.jpg_640x640.jpg but two male versions showed up; however they are good enough that I ordered a female.  The man is a bit under 6"  so I'm altering some clothing patterns to fit him; right now he's sitting in one of my little resin chairs.  I picked out his facial features lightly with acrylic paints, so he has eyes and a mouth, and I'll work on giving him hair once he's dressed.  I think he can be Brimble's proprietor, and I can match up the other man with the lady whenever she arrives.

• Like 2

I got male #1 (aka John Little) some clothes cut out to work on sewing for him.  The piece of leather I appropriated for his shoes needs serious shaving.  The figures come with two extra pairs of hands; one pair can hold objects and the other pair are balled into fists; and a pair of feet that are solid (John's original feet have jointed toes).

My next trick will be wigging him.

I look forward to seeing what you do, Holly.  I hoped there were extra hands, as some of the pics show different poses.  Good to know.  I don't know if the Wish site had a better price, as I would have had to sign up to see their inventory.  I am already signed on with Ali Express, so that's where I purchased mine.

Holly, how do you shave your leather?  I've read many times that this is "do-able", but I have no idea how it works.   Do you scrape with a razor blade?  Or is that a primitive method?  I've also heard of wetting and stretching the leather ... but I would think there is a precise technique involved, as the leather could be badly affected by the moisture.

Is anyone else thinking of buying a mannequin?

I'm using Catriona Hall's The Miniature Costumier to dress John; her man doll was 6.25" and mine is only 5.75", so I've been merrily adjusting the patterns and I'm really thankful that the doll is so posable, as I sewed in the sleeves before dressing him.  Rosalind, I'll be sure to get DS#2 to take close up photos of him when he's done.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I'm so excited! I joined this forum months ago, to ask opinions about miniature pottery. Got good advice! I've been slowly moving along with that, but only recently really started trying to display it through instagram/etsy etc., But while doing that I've been lurking through the dollhouse communities and instagram accounts. I never intended when I started making mini pottery to start a dollhouse, but I could feel myself getting sucked it. :D  I knew that soon I'd be creating little rooms and decor. But I didn't think I'd be willing just yet to go further. But TODAY! Went to a garage sale and found this fabulous house AND furniture set! For $10! How exciting indeed. I need to put it together, then plan how I want to paint it and what style to decorate it. It'll be a long process, but I think it was meant to be.

• Like 2