Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

It was definitely meant to be.  I love the Arthur kit.  It is a straightforward build, an easygoing dollhouse.  (Dollhouses do have their own personalities, as you will have discovered if you've been reading a lot here!)  I wonder what your house wants to be?

I won two eBay auctions this week - a half scale artist doll and an easel with a painting in progress. I'm so excited to put them together! I haven't received them yet, so here are pics from the auctions. This will motivate me to finally complete the artist studio portion of my Spanish Revival cottage.

artist.thumb.jpg.624faba742ef016693df5df

easel.thumb.jpg.b92beed48ebe513be52513fb

• Like 1

Holly, i bought the bathroom set because I have never seen online or anywhere else this type of set. Truly rare to me at least. It will be very good for the oriental house that I am planning.lol

Rosalind, you can find this mirror on Ebay from time to time. I bought it there to save the shipping.

I'm looking forward to seeing that bathroom set in situ; I can imagine how the rest of the room will look!  I really enjoy that painting you got of the deck chairs and seascape; and are those bananas or plantains?  They look very real.

Those are plantains, and surprisingly enough I've got them from a dealer from Holland! And more surprising is that the price of the greens was $1.50 and the yellows $4.50!!:wacko:

The painting is for my current project, the Beach House  that I can't wait to continue, but my husband has a bunch of stuff on my working table that I am patiently waiting for him to put away so I can move on..:closedeyes:

I went out and bought a San Franciscan locally. Came home and knocked it down and put it in the dumpster along with most of the stuff that came with it. The house was trashed anyway and none of the things that came with it were really worth anything. The reason I went to get it though, was in the pictures there was a Lawbre 360° turnback staircase. So I got that. Then as bonuses, there were two Carlson bay windows, the kind that are going for about $30 apiece on eBay. And I got most of an RGT room addition, which I had wanted and now I don't have to buy it. Plus a bunch of picture frames for the shadowbox walls if I ever start working on that again.

So all in all, a pretty good day.

• Like 2

I actually ended up trashing most of the San Franciscan I had gotten on Craigslist last year. It was in a much worse state than I had expected with parts of it half built but then broken. I ended up salvaging loads of hardwood floor veneer strips, dowels, a few good pieces of plywood and all of the stair railings. It wasn't a total loss. Still felt a bit guilty putting it out with the trash though.

On 5/6/2018, 5:40:58, 1martinimomma said:

You put a San Fran in the trash.  I am surprised that you would do that.  It must have been so bad it couldn't be saved. 

Glad you got some other things that made your purchase worth it.

Well, for one thing, the way the house is built, there's really no way to knock it down flat without shattering the walls and I couldn't bring up another house into my room, anyway. Also, the people looked like they were going to add the RGT addition onto the house, so there were huge cutouts on both floors of the SF on one side. And the shingles would have to have been all pried off, one at a time. And although they laid the Duracraft wood floor, which is beautiful flooring, it didn't look very good. They also put the Houseworks parquet flooring all through the 2nd floor, and that wasn't done very well either. That must have been at least 3 packages of parquet flooring adding up to about $45, but there was no way to peel it off without wrecking it. Believe me, if I could have, I would have taken both floors off to use somewhere else.

The house had also been done in tape wire, the old, one-color tape wire. Just pulling it off so the house could be broken down was a nightmare in itself.

None of that includes the kids having colored all over the house and the awful wallpaper that was glued to it and the trim all smashed. The house was on an RGT 32" base as well, so if it were taken off, it wouldn't have had a base to it. So all in all, I didn't really want to put in the time to try to rehab this one.

I was just getting it for the staircase anyway, so I already knew the house was going in the dumpster. I figured I spent $50 and got a realistic $190 out of the stuff it came with if I planned to sell those pieces. In good condition, I would have paid about $30 each for the bay windows and about $100 for the room addition if I had gotten them off eBay, and $162 for the staircase if I had bought that off the Lawbre site.

So it worked out.

• 2 months later...

I was at Japan Fair in Washington today and they had a beautiful antique cultural miniatures display that had been donated as displays for the event. Since I am new and have post limits I made an album on imgur so I could keep the giant pictures for you guys :p https://imgur.com/a/qtrCp7I

Edited by nancydee

Thank you for sharing those photos, Nancy.  I was once fortunate to see such a Girls' Day display at the Japanese Cultural Center in San Francisco many, many years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Proof that patience pays off. I pursued these two kits for four years. The owner initially did not want to sell them. She was afraid I only wanted them so I could flip them. I finally got both kits a few months ago. The price was right and I am happy! The kits are the Old Granville House from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and the lobby of the Stratford Inn from "The Newhart Show." I have not seen many kits from this company, but considering the fact that they misspelled one kit and named the wrong TV show on the other, it makes me wonder. I have another kit from this company (secretly my favorite) that I will share in a few days.

I build mostly pop culture type builds. These fit perfectly.

20170905_104422.jpg

20170905_104445.jpg

20170905_104445a.jpg

• Like 5

Seems to me they made a lot of kits from famous books, movies, or TV shows. I remember the Norman Bates house, the Southern mansion from Gone with the Wind, and a couple others I can't bring to mind right now.

Congrats on getting that house, though. They are few and very far between. I didn't even know they made the Stratford Inn.

• Like 1