Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I had never seen any of those kits before!  Thanks for sharing them, Greg.  Are they 1:12?

Ditto!  Thanks for asking the scale question, Holly.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018, 6:01:12, havanaholly said:

I had never seen any of those kits before!  Thanks for sharing them, Greg.  Are they 1:12?

Yes! Perfect for me!

• 2 weeks later...

These were given to me by a friend whose family moved to the U.S. from England when she was a small child. She has no information about the history of these. Anyone here know what these are made from? The table is signed by Helen? something. I can't make out the rest.

20180807_160300.jpg

20180807_160350.jpg

20180807_161225.jpg

20180807_161606.jpg

What a very special gift your friend made to you!  I wish I had some info for you, but they don't ring any bells with me.  (I came from England as a child.)

Mystery writing on the bottom ... I wonder if the name is a place, rather than a person?  Whoever made that furniture obviously put their heart into it. 

Those pieces must have some interesting stories to share ... maybe if you listen carefully?  Our houses often speak to us - most of us can't stop them talking!  

Perhaps the fairies had something to do with their history, who knows?  :detective:

How delightful!  Twig furniture has been made for doll houses for over a hundred years, maybe 200.  While I don't think yours is that old, it is a craft with a history. 

The hollow legs and arms almost remind me of bamboo, which would certainly be flexible enough at the growing tips to make that chair back.  I couldn't be certain from a photo. 

I just realized that I teased about my new favorite find and then didn't follow up. Special thanks to MiniKelli who found this little treasure online for me. It is the Mayberry Courthouse from "The Andy Griffith Show." I have already started getting quotes from my doll maker friends. I am definitely going to have Andy, Barney, Floyd and Otis. I am not sure if I will add Opie, Aunt Bea, Gomer, Goober or anyone else. I definitely have to have those four. So many iconic scenes from which to choose!

20171124_134325.jpg

mayberry 2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am spending money. I got this on eBay a couple days ago. It's in my mailbox right now and I suppose I should go downstairs and  get it.

I've been looking for this kind of faucet. I have an idea that I will make a tile background over my sink and attach the faucet that way, to the wall, the way they used to be attached in old homes. So I thought this was perfect. It's made to go on the sink, not the wall, but because it's metal, I might be able to very carefully pull the faucet out so it's pointing out straight. Then the faucet will be pointing down when I hang this on the wall.

faucet.thumb.jpg.9c19fbdf86beef650781f05

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

... because it's metal, I might be able to very carefully pull the faucet out so it's pointing out straight. ...

Check to be sure what kind of metal this is. The faucet tube appears to be brass, which may bend okay. The rest of it looks to be pot metal, which will break rather than bend. If the faucet tube is pot metal, don't try it -- or be prepared to replace it with a piece of tubing.

If it is bendable, would it help to use a tube bender?  The kind you normally use to curve a hollow tube without it kinking/folding during the process.  Do they work to unbend the same way?  I'm thinking out loud here, because I've never used one myself, only read about them.

The set itself looks great, and I like the idea of transforming it to a wall mounted version.  I'll watch for updates on your progress!

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I will make a tile background over my sink and attach the faucet that way, to the wall, the way they used to be attached in old homes. 

23 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Is there any reason you don't want to mount it to the back of the sink?

She's going for vintage, that's why. :) 

18 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, I am spending money. I got this on eBay a couple days ago. It's in my mailbox right now and I suppose I should go downstairs and  get it.

I've been looking for this kind of faucet. I have an idea that I will make a tile background over my sink and attach the faucet that way, to the wall, the way they used to be attached in old homes. So I thought this was perfect. It's made to go on the sink, not the wall, but because it's metal, I might be able to very carefully pull the faucet out so it's pointing out straight. Then the faucet will be pointing down when I hang this on the wall.

Hey Kelly - I haven't had a lot of luck with getting these to bend without breaking. Before you try it, I'd recommend heating it up a bit with a blow dryer, lighter - just be careful (duh!) and use two sets of pliers instead of your hands.

Option B - I made these faucets out of cup gooks, earring backs, bead caps and corsage pins. I can make you one, or send you the stuff so you can make it yourself. Just LMK.

Faucets.png

Taps.png

IMG_7022.JPG

Here's the actual blog post with more info:

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2018/01/in-sink.html

• Like 1

Hmmm...this was supposed to be simple. Now you guys are scaring me. LOL

I'll try gently bending it with pliers to start with. If it bends, I'll see how long it looks and if it looks weird, I'll cut off the extra. Hopefully without crushing the tip. If it breaks, I'll use tubing, as Kathie suggested. If worst comes to worst, I'll put it aside and save the handles. I love those old fashioned handles. Rosalind, don't hold your breath. I haven't really finished anything in the last 10 years, although I've started lots of projects.

Maybe I should go get the faucet out of the mailbox, though.

Jodi, that's a gorgeous sink and I love your faucets. That's exactly what I want, but just for the kitchen sink.

This sort of what I was looking for in terms of mounting the faucet. The faucet in this kitchen is too modern for me, though, and I hate subway tile. It reminds me of being in a subway.

Old-Style-Kitchen-Faucets-Mounted-1.thum

Whoa - what happened to my answer? I'm sorry, Toni, I must have typed it out and not clicked on Submit. That about figures. Well, better late than never, so...I bought the faucet from someone named Minicrush. I'm wondering if that's someone here.

OK, and an update on the faucet. I finally got it out of the mailbox. Backpats for me.

Anyhoo, I tried to bend the faucet. It bent and also fell out of where it was attached to the handles. No big deal, I'll just glue it back in. But then, I thought the faucet was too long. So I tried to cut it with wire cutters. Now, I have LARGE wire cutters and these things didn't make a dent in that faucet. OK, they did make a dent, but that's all they did.

So I bent the faucet back and decided it could sit on the sink after all instead of being on a wall. You have to know how to pick your battles. Since there is now a nick on the end of the faucet where I tried to cut it, I think I'll find a small bead and put that over the end. It will cover the nick and I think make the faucet look more authentic. Hoist the flag - I did NOT break the handles apart, wonder of wonders. Yes, it was a sign.

These arrived yesterday - I love the color:

dishes.jpg.1128c55bf3f8d76f051c34cb4a69c

I got these from Dollhouses and More and she has lots more sets, if anyone is interested.

I also splurged and bought a subscription to FEI TV (that was a pure indulgence that wasn't necessary), so no more spending for me! Now that I've said that, who wants to be my sponsor?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Whoa - what happened to my answer? I'm sorry, Toni, I must have typed it out and not clicked on Submit. That about figures. Well, better late than never, so...I bought the faucet from someone named Minicrush. I'm wondering if that's someone here.

Thanks ... I've got them bookmarked. The china is pretty!