Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

While on a recent road trip from Washington State to mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island, stopped at thrift stores, antique stores and one miniature store (in Victoria, BC). Maybe I am whining, but all I found to buy in half scale was a green stove, sink and refrigerator that needs a lot of cleaning and repair. Perhaps it is because of the condition and quality, but my husband asked for about 75% off and the owners readily accepted his offer.

attachicon.gifGreenAppliances.jpg

Nice find!

Melissa,one a day a couple of years ago my older son surprised me 'just because' with that Hummel tea set from our local Tuesday Morning and it is one of my prized possessions! :)

Christine,that little appliance set is adorable and yay for the discount!!:)

• Like 1

It looks like the rotating swing.

Instead of having them hang down from chains, you could make the wire stand at an angle, so that it looks as if they are permanently swinging on the ride - sitting at a 45 degree angle with their feet flapping...... :D

Found this today at Michael's...75% off! It had one hook broken off. But I was thinking, sure looks like another skellie ride to me! The top rotates.

attachicon.gif100_5520.JPG

A wonderful find. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you work on it. I do like Lene's thought of wired chains at a 45 degree angle.

I just bought some 1" scale House of Miniature kits. Love the idea of creating a roombox as I don't have room for a 1" scale dollhouse. Now I can buy more 1" scale items which really are easier to find than half scale. :bigwink:

post-58020-0-96811900-1415561671_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the shingles that I will need to fix (they glued larger than the roof edges, so they need to be trimmed), I was now re-gluing a window panel. For this, I don't know if I should keep the "glass" as they are (yellowish) or try to replace them. It has 2 rooms with hard wood floors, but the floor is lifted at some places, I don't know if I should try to re-glue them or replace them as well. I will definitely change the carpets. The doors were attached with some kind of stuff that looks like gum or play-dough. I think I will re-attach them properly with glue. I want to finish the attic, wallpaper and cover the floors, and make something nice up there, maybe install a spiral staircase to get there...hmmmm.. Ah!, the possibilities!

• Like 2

You got a lot of good stuff! If your floor fix isn't successful, then you can rip them out and start over. I'm in favor of fixing what can be fixed before starting over; most of the houses I wind up with for rehab want total makeovers. The 1:48 items might have ben for the doll children to play with.

• Like 1

Holly, I will do that, fix what I can fix first. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at the walls, but it looks so far like I will be able to keep them intact. The carpets are not glued, so it will be easy there. They told me that the house was built 40-45 years ago. I don't know much about vintage or antiques, but I have the feeling that this estimate could be off. The house looks very younger that this, but again I could be the one wrong. Anyways, I had an early Christmas present!

I am curious about a piece of furniture that I haven't seen before (in real life size either), it is pretty heavy compared to the rest of the similar pieces, but I don't know what it is use for, can anybody tell me the name of this type of furniture, please? is the one on the right, that has lots of drawers handles......

Holy moly, you got a DEAL!! The house for that price alone is fabulous, not to mention all the stuff!! I'm drooling!

As far as that piece on the right goes, I've seen similar pieces in RL that were lingerie drawers, or tie/sock drawers, etc. I just kind of always considered it a bedroom piece, although someone may know more than I do on the subject. Congratulations, again!!

...I am curious about a piece of furniture that I haven't seen before (in real life size either), it is pretty heavy compared to the rest of the similar pieces, but I don't know what it is use for, can anybody tell me the name of this type of furniture, please? is the one on the right, that has lots of drawers handles......

It looks like what they call a highboy: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=images+highboy&qpvt=images%3a+highboy&FORM=IGRE

Like Emily said, the previous owner found from the original one, that it was not made from a kit. It is modified from plans purchased from a craft manufacturer, that probably was Houseworks. His father built it for his mother that loved doll houses, she designed and decorated to be similar to their old house. The pink room was for a girl she never had (this broke my heart!). The master bedroom is blue, her favorite color, and the boys room has soldier boys, like the original seller's room was when he was young. He said his father used premium quality materials to withstand any barometric changes, and that it was appraised some years back at several hundreds. It sat for years unused because his daughter wasn't interested in doll houses, so he decided to sale it. I guess I was the lucky one.

• Like 1