Is anybody else trying to lose some pounds?

SuzyQ

Hey everyone,

I know this isn't a diet forum but I was just wondering if anyone else here was dieting. I went to the Dr. a while back and he told me my cholesteral was high and that I needed to lose weight, which I already knew :angry: .

Any how since he told me that I freaked and went the other way and gained like 5 more pounds. Now I have settled down some and have gotten down to business. Since my sister and I are so competitive she has joined in.

Any how I just thought it might be fun and a bit encouraging to keep in touch on how we are doing. We don't even have to give diet tips just some encouragment so we know each other is out there.

PS. I have lost 4 pound this week. :(

PSS. If this isn't a proper forum subject please feel free to delete it.

SuzyQ

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

((((((SuzyQ)))))))

Since I was diagnosed diabetic 5 yrs ago I have lost 100lbs. That is great, wonderful, fantastic. I am proud. But my dr recently told me that I need to lose the last of the weight. Another 70lbs!

She says if I lose the weight I could dodge the needle for a couple more years. I wanted to tell you that my cholestrol was soooo bad b4 I lost the weight that it was 400+. They couldnt even seperate the good from the bad. They said it was like sludge running threw my veins. Just by losing lbs. I am almost normal. Still dont have to take cholestrol meds, and hopefully I wont have to add another pill to my regimine.

So I will be your skinny buddy! Since that appt. I have lost 10lbs. ....60 more to go.

We can be each others cheerleaders! :angry: :(:D

((((((SuzyQ)))))))

Since I was diagnosed diabetic 5 yrs ago I have lost 100lbs.

That is wonderful Heidi!!!! :(:D:D

It will be good to have a cheerleading partner. I need to lose 55. I have done it before the usual problem is keeping it off. I kept the last off for 2 years and thought for sure I had a handle on it then, we moved into a new house and I just got lazy for some reason. :angry: So it is back to work.

Thanks for writing back

SuzyQ

Yes, lets all support each other! I am doing weight watchers and have lost 19 pounds so far. My initial goal is to lose 100 pds, and maybe a few more, depending on how i feel as i get closer to my goal. Congrats on you loss so far! marg

Both DH & I follow our doctor's diet for our weight & cholesterol control, plus watching electrolytes for DH's blood pressure/BP. Despite all that I went on cholesterol meds two years ago (heredity, doc decided) and DH is on BP med (one, due to diuretic-induced gout) plus a gout Rx. However because of the exercise (cycling, paddling, hiking) we haven't noticed much weight loss, but we are both building muscle mass in place of some of the flab.

Following his diet STRICTLY we'd lose 1/2 pound/day (and be constantly hungry, and have NO energy). I used it to lose the nearly forty pounds I gained working night shift in the state hospital where our only exercise other than start of shift & end of shift rounds might be prepping a resident for a medical procedure or helping put one into restraints or setting up the AM med cart.

However we haven't gained, so I guess we'll stay where we are for a while. My blood sugar runs on the low side.

I know we arent supposed to go into dieting tips but I know you all are probably wondering HOW I lost 100lbs. #1 was out of fright (my mother died from diabetic complications).

Then I just changed. Nothing drastic though. I still love to eat mind you.

We cut down take out food. Not completely. We have take out once a week for dinner. Usually on Friday.

We cut out some junk food, we dont have chips in the house 24/7. I only have them for certain dinners and I`ll buy a bag or two on grocery day. But once it is gone it is gone. I dont buy cookies and stuff anymore. If we want a sweet, i will bake it and that is only once a month (you ladies know why! LOL)

And I cut out alot of fried foods. I cooked differently and use alot more olive oil.

That is about it. We always had fruit and veggies but I make alot more of them in meals.

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia so exercising can be very difficult.

I lost the weight slow too. Gives the body time to bounce back.

My girls have weight problems too. My oldest, Chelsea was diagnosed with Polycystic ovary syndrome and part of her getting well was to lose weight. Last appt was 2 weeks ago and she lost 8 lbs.

Yes, lets all support each other! I am doing weight watchers and have lost 19 pounds so far

Congrats on your 19 pounds Marg. Thanks for writing back havannaholly. exercise is a great thing too. I need to do a bit more of that myself. :angry:

We all have some big goals but with everyones support we can make it. Maybe along with our mini houses we can be mini me's too. :(

SuzyQ

I know we arent supposed to go into dieting tips but I know you all are probably wondering HOW I lost 100lbs.

Sorry Heidi I didn't mean to leave you out of my reply I missed it somehow. It must have popped up while I was writing.

That is a wonderful story!!!! Moderation is always best. That is what I am doing this time. Last time I did the slim fast thing except with carnation instant breakfast slim fast hurt my stomach. Any how I did los i but I also lost quite a bit of hair with it. It did come back thankfully.

Keep up the good work

SuzyQ

I think it would be great to have dieting support on here, hope thats ok. I did Weight Watchers (WW) a few years ago and gained it back. ALL my fault. I am ready to do it again except for the dark chocolate covered marshmallows in the pantry. I need to loose about 30 lbs.

I have been trying hard to lose weight. I had 60 pounds to loose that was put on by steriod medication. Last year I lost 20 of those pounds. Exercise is very difficult for me due to my COPD, but changing what I ate helped. I know the next time the doctor pus me back on steriods, a few more pounds creap their way back in. For me losing weight is necessary as the more I weigh the more dificult it will become to breath.

Melissa

I think it would be great to have dieting support on here, hope thats ok. I did Weight Watchers (WW) a few years ago and gained it back. ALL my fault. I am ready to do it again except for the dark chocolate covered marshmallows in the pantry. I need to loose about 30 lbs.

Oh Yummy! Yummy! don't get me tempted. :angry: I had my bean soup for lunch like a good girl. This will be great we can all cheer each other on. I wasn't sure how it would go over.

SuzyQ

I have been trying hard to lose weight. I had 60 pounds to loose that was put on by steriod medication. Last year I lost 20 of those pounds. Exercise is very difficult for me due to my COPD,

Melissa

Hello Melissa,

I sure can undserstand about the steriods that can be really frustrating. I don't think I know what COPD is can you explain?

SuzyQ

COPD is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It can consist of any or all of the these 3 conditins Chronic Asthma. Chronic Bronchitis and Emphazema. I have all three of those diseases. It is a slow progressive disease with no cure.

Melissa

Oh Melissa I am so sorry that must be so horrible to live with. :angry: I can see how getting off the extra pounds could really help with your breathing. I will keep you in my prayers for sure. By the way I love that little yellow house sitting on your table. So cute.

SuzyQ

It's insidious that the steroids relieve the inflammation that aggravates the COPD breathing problems and also cause excess fluid retention, which is where most of the extra weight comes from, and which stresses the heart. Melissa, you have my prayers always, my mom suffered from COPD and I have inherited her lousy respiratory system.

When DH developed gout in response to his diuretic med for lowering his blood pressure he was put on steroids to reduce the pain and let the tofus reabsorb (the sweeling in his toe joint caused by the excess uric acid crystals, which are chemically like slivers of glass) and he gaine 20 pounds in four days! As soon as he stopped the steroid we had to eliminate salt completely from our diet until he lost the 20 #, which took another four days, plus an extra week until the doctor decided to put him on anti-gout med and take him off the diuretic.

I had to think about this thread. I really do need to take some weight off as well. Forty pounds less would be me in the right weight category.

My main problem is that when I make up my mind to do something, I can sometimes become obsessive. Twice over the past several years I joined weight watchers, but had to stop because I lost weight far too fast. I thought that if fat wasn't good, then I'd avoid it altogether. I guess that wasn't good for my gallbladder and I had to have it removed. The time before that I also lost the weight, but after a while I also lost interest in food.

I've had a lot of abdominal surgery, and the doctor will only allow me to walk for exercise. I also have asthma so I cannot take walks outside on very cold days.

But, I'd like to join with everyone. Ray and I are actually quite healthy eaters on the whole. I don't cook a lot, but we eat a lot of raw vegetables and fresh fruits. We don't eat junk food, just sometimes microwave popcorn. Neither of us takes sugar in coffee or tea. We also don't drink pop or sugar sweetened drinks. We mostly drink water, coffee, tea and milk. But I like lots of butter on my bread and toast. And my big no no's are chocolate and ice cream. I love chocolate and I love ice cream.

I do know the weight watchers program, and will start keeping track of points starting tomorrow. But this time, I'll not eliminate fats altogether. I'll let Ray know when he's off work tomorrow. He'll keep an eye on me so that I don't take it to an extreme.

Looking forward to talking about our successes (and less successful days).

By the way, I'm starting to use my webshots again. During the fortnight that I boycotted, there wasn't any reduction in hits to my webshots pages.

Susanne

shalean Posted Today, 07:05 PM My main problem is that when I make up my mind to do something, I can sometimes become obsessive.

Hello again Susanne,

You know since you already eat fairly healthy, I'll bet that if you will just cut back on the chocolate, ice cream and eat less butter you will lose weight just fine. It may go a bit slower but they say slower is better anyways. That way you might not over obsess about it. I know exactly what you mean. I lost too much weight the last time. This time I am eating in moderation cutting back on the sweets. (my weakness is chocolate too.) My biggest problem is not letting the little things in life mess me up. When I get out of my routine thats when I lose control.

I'll cheer you on if you'll cheer me on. :angry: :(:D

SuzyQ

SuzyQ -

Thank you. I think one of the big secrets to weight loss is getting encouragement and support. We're always very good at piling on the guilt trips all by ourselves.

I think one of the reasons that I don't cook a lot is, Ray and I really prefer meals that aren't very heavy. Neither of us are interested in rich foods and sauces. We'd both rather have raw fruits and vegetables. Today we just had a bbq chicken that I picked up at the grocery store. We always remove the skin before we eat. If I cook, I buy boneless, skinless breasts and thighs. Then I cut up raw veggies and we have buns with our dinner.

Anybody got any good suggestions to kick us off?

Susanne

I also lost weight four years ago, fifty pounds actually (before my 50th birthday), using Weight Watchers. Since then I have gained twenty back, of course. :angry:

One of the most important lessons I learned from WW is portion size. I was eating hugh portions even of the healthy foods; I just lost sight of what I needed to be full. Oh I love to eat too! I sometimes think I am an obsessive eater, or even a closet eater. WW tells you that you can have anything you want to eat, but keep track of the points. If you want a piece of chocolate, have it, but work it into your daily point allowance.

I am actually not unhappy with my weight right now.....until I stand on the scale. I am unhappy with my flabbiness, the sagging muscles. So if I exercise more, that may help and I may lose weight at the same time. I am thinking about a yoga class too, to strengthen those muscles. Holly is inspiring me when she talks about all the exercise she and her DH get. I suffer from laziness in that area.

Josi Posted Today, 08:50 PM

Oh I love to eat too! I sometimes think I am an obsessive eater, or even a closet eater.

Hey Josi,

I know what you mean about being an obsessive eater. I am too and a closet eater. There are many times that I haven't let my husband and daughter see what I have eaten that day. Food has been my drug. I don't drink I don't smoke "I FOOD" :angry:

But I have done really well this week and know I can get this stuff back off with everyones help and prayers.

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story.

SuzyQ

Before I hit the age of 40, I was very thin. Then my metabolism slowed down, and I stopped taking long walks, and going to the gym. I kept eating like I was still thin, but wasn't burning up the calories anymore.

Then, with Ray being gone so much I'd get lonely and go to the fridge or the cookie jar. I'm Ray's whole life, and he doesn't really like me going out when he's not home. He'd rather I be home where he feels I'm safe.

Little by little I just got used to staying home alone. What do you do when you're home alone all evening and all night... and at Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Years, birthdays, anniversaries ...popcorn and butter, ice cream with toppings .... feel good kind of food. Then it just becomes a habit. It's not that I'm even hungry.

Drinking was never an option. I grew up in a home where there was too much drinking, and it messes families up real bad.

I've not (yet) had any problems with high levels of cholestoral, blood pressure or blood sugar.

Susanne

shalean Posted Today, 10:11 PM

I'm Ray's whole life, and he doesn't really like me going out when he's not home. He'd rather I be home where he feels I'm safe.

Hello again Susanne,

I know how Ray feels wanting to keep you safe and all . I know there are times that I don't want my Ray and I to go anywhere together in fear of something happening and us leaving RayAnne and it is easy to do the same with her and keep her by our side.

But then I remember as Christians we are in God's hands and we have put out daughter in his hands also. He has the best plans for us and will take care of us. We need to remember this. I don't know if your Ray is the same faith as you but if he is he needs a gentle reminder of this. It makes life much easier. :angry:

PS. What does your Ray do that keeps him away so much.

SuzyQ

Ray works for the city at the Wastewater Treatment Plant. It runs 24-7, so shift work is a requirement. He's been down there now for over 26 years. He'll be retiring in another year, so that'll be nice.

Ray is the only boy in his family -- he has five sisters. They're not close. He doesn't mind that I go over to the church some evenings and volunteer ... usually child care or other childrens' ministries ... so I'm home by 9:00 P.M. Most of my family live in different cities. I have one brother near our city, but he's about a 40 minute drive. He and his wife both work retail, so frequently work evenings as well.

I'm quite content staying home with my cats, my books, my hobbies. I enjoy needlwork (handwork - not sewing machine). I like quiet things. Probably because it's what I'm used to. I seldom turn on the tv or radio as I don't like lots of noise.

I do work. I have a wonderful job working as an executive assistant to a city councillor. But even there, a number of years ago I switched to a job-share because Ray and I saw each other even less often when I worked full time. I work a week and then I'm off for a week.

I have two adopted granddaughters that I love very much. There mum is very busy though, so I don't get to see them that often. They're 7 and 5 years of age.

I enjoy having the people on this site to chat with.

Susanne

Ray is the only boy in his family -- he has five sisters.

Another Similarity Susanne

My husband Ray is the only boy also. He has 3 older sisters. Needless to say he was spoiled. One difference. They are close. We all are a very tight knit family. Every Sunday they get together for lunch at his parents house. All 22 many times. Susanne it might be to loud for you. :angry:

My husband and I did work together until around 2 weeks ago. I got tired of juggling work and family. So I am getting used to the quiet. That is why I am bothering you all so much. :( I need a bit of company.

I really am much happier though I feel I can breath now. And I feel I can get in a better routine to do this diet.

SuzyQ

When DH developed gout in response to his diuretic med for lowering his blood pressure he was put on steroids to reduce the pain and let the tofus reabsorb (the sweeling in his toe joint caused by the excess uric acid crystals, which are chemically like slivers of glass) and he gaine 20 pounds in four days!

Okay, Now I have to do some research! One of the meds I take for my ailments (Meneire`s Disease) is a diuretic. I have to take it to lower the fluid content in my body so that the fluid in my inner ears doesnt get too high. It brings on an attack (nausea, vomitting, loss of balance, room spinning, more permanent hearing loss) I dont have to take it in the warmer months because I sweat and you dont need the extra help.

This is a great thread.

Okay, yesterday was take out day (once a week). We had chinese. We order at 3pm, just b4 lunch special is over so that we get smaller portions and it is cheaper. That was one of the ways we were lowering calories. Dinner portions of chinese dinners are too huge. If you order the lunch, much less. Plus we dont get fried rice. We substitute it with white rice. That way we eat less of it and there isnt all that meat and grease.

I know some of you are thinking " Chinese??" :angry: We love chinese and I said I love to eat...LOL So I made a compromise.

Today is dh`s day off. So that means I am cooking a great meal. I love Ina Garten "Barefoot Contessa" and I saved a show where she made Chicken w/20 cloves of garlic. I will be making that with a salad, string beans, jasmine rice pilaf, and I have french bread rising in bowl now.

How is everone doing today?

I did very well yesterday no cheating. I haven't cheated in 5 days. Hurray!!! I have to admit though yesterday was a tougher day. I did crave alot yesterday. Hoping today is a better day.

Heidii. Good for you Chinese. I think its great I love Chinese too. Its a ll about moderation and portion control. I really think that if we deprive ourselves of everything we love we will just go back to our old ways. Sundays are usually my days off. If I go over board I don't punish myself I just hop back on the wagon on Monday.

I am trying really hard to keep my weigh days on Friday. I find If I weigh more than that during the week it gets discouraging because weight will fluctuate according to salt portions etc. Its hard though I was tempted to get on it this morning. But I didn't.

You all have a wonderful and HEALTHY weekend. :angry: :(:D

SuzyQ