3/4/06 Mardi Gras

What do you think about the Mardi Gras celebration this year? Do you think it was a good idea or a bad idea?

In my opinion I am glad New Orleans did it. They needed to because it is part of the community. The celebration also brings tourism which will boost the economy.

although it was smaller than usual Im glad they did it!

it shows the country and the world and the people waiting to come home that New Orleans will not rollover and play dead. I hate it that our government has been less than helpful to the displaced peoples and I think its BS but the City has to show it is still a vital part of our country and the tourism dollars will help the economy. we visited New Orleans last yr the week after Mardi Gras and had a wonderful time. I was sick over the devestation for the city and the people. More power to them.

Someday I will be in the crowd to watch the parades and catch some beads!

nutti :angry:

I'm glad they did it too. For such a long time Mardi Gras and New Orleans have been synonymous in the U.S. - it's really part of the city's soul and I'm glad to see something to celebrate after the devistating losses they were, and still are, faced with.

David

I think "why not"? The damage has been done and they are trying to recover after devastating losses. I think it's great that people are showing support for a longstanding tradition! Party on!! :angry:

I think that the Mardi Gras celebration is part & parcel of what N'awlins IS, and I think a testament to that spirit was one of the marcher's signs a friend was telling me about; it read: "FEMA says they won't be able to deliver our Mardi Gras beads until April" Any city that can endure the devastation of Katrina & its aftermath & still be able to make a joke of it ought to go on having Mardi Gras.

Fait les bon temps roullez!

I applaud them for going ahead. Kinda like giving the finger to mother nature, and she deserves it. Yeah you can do all this to us, but we will not be ground down.

Mardi Gras pre Katrina:

Mardi Gras post Katrina:

:angry: I wasn't going to decorate the Lily for Mardi Gras because she's still under construction, but then it occured to me.........so is a large portion of New Orleans. So this is my mini tribute to the spirit, strength and courage of the people of New Orleans.

Deb

I think it's great they are celebrating Mardi Gras. So what they had a flood--shows their spirit. And since New Orleans has probably been rebuilt before, what's another go of it? Just shows that life still goes on and that people don't have to sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for help. :( I know I certainly wouldn't. I have visited New Orleans during the Worlds' Fair years ago, and it's a beautiful city. One of my workshop mates who is from LA said that people are already re-building, and the celebration was small, but just as fun. :angry:

I wasn't going to decorate the Lily for Mardi Gras because she's still under construction, but then it occured to me.........so is a large portion of New Orleans. So this is my mini tribute to the spirit, strength and courage of the people of New Orleans.

Deb, you're amazing!! I absolutely love it!! You said it all!! :)