My Mini Weekend!

I am SO excited I just had to share! Well since im in Oklahoma I usually feel alone in my mini world but this week My husband took me to Texas for a short trip to unwind and do some serious power shopping (my other favorite hobby!) Before we left I mapped out some dollhouse shops that I could go to. First off Dallas "Through the Keyhole" I was so excited when I walked in I did not know where to start. And then my husband surprised me by putting the "Lily" kit with my stuff as we were checking out! ;) I love this house! what a wonderful store that I hope you can check out if you are in the area. I didnt realize the best was yet to come. When we got down to San Antonio I had found a store called "My dollhouse". OMG I was in heaven! We spent at least 2 hours there. It is a husband and wife that run the shop and they made us feel like they invited us into thier home. My 5 year old got to sit and play while my husband got to sit and relax. I learned so much in this visit that I had always wanted to know but did not know who to ask. This is SO worth the trip to San Antonio and I must say the best part of the trip! (for me anyway :fear: ) Not only was it a learning experience but they gave me the email and said to ask anything I need to know. I dont know how many of you live around here but I wish I did. I could of spent the whole day there picking their brain. I hope I can go back someday. And I cant wait to try all the cool stuff I found!!

wow sound like you had a great time ;)

i'm the same here there are no shops around close enough to visit and stare at the eyecandy :( its sad

wow your hubby is a sweetie for popping the Lily kit in :fear:

:) Now THAT sounds like a super weekend! I am so glad you got to do that . . . those kinds of weekends, while rare, remain special memories. And, BRAVO to your hubby for the dollhouse kit. I know you must have been thrilled! I sure hope you get to go back again - it seems to me that a place like that might be worth planning a mini vacation around!

• 1 month later...
I am SO excited I just had to share! Well since im in Oklahoma I usually feel alone in my mini world but this week My husband took me to Texas for a short trip to unwind and do some serious power shopping (my other favorite hobby!) Before we left I mapped out some dollhouse shops that I could go to. First off Dallas "Through the Keyhole" I was so excited when I walked in I did not know where to start. And then my husband surprised me by putting the "Lily" kit with my stuff as we were checking out! :p I love this house! what a wonderful store that I hope you can check out if you are in the area. I didnt realize the best was yet to come. When we got down to San Antonio I had found a store called "My dollhouse". OMG I was in heaven! We spent at least 2 hours there. It is a husband and wife that run the shop and they made us feel like they invited us into thier home. My 5 year old got to sit and play while my husband got to sit and relax. I learned so much in this visit that I had always wanted to know but did not know who to ask. This is SO worth the trip to San Antonio and I must say the best part of the trip! (for me anyway :D ) Not only was it a learning experience but they gave me the email and said to ask anything I need to know. I dont know how many of you live around here but I wish I did. I could of spent the whole day there picking their brain. I hope I can go back someday. And I cant wait to try all the cool stuff I found!!

We used to have a great store in Oklahoma City until Hobby Lobby drove them out of business. :lol: You've inspired me to take a trip! :) I don't like to order online because I can't really see and touch what I'm buying. :huh:

I like to be able to see and touch things too. And I don't know why anyone would buy miniatures from Hobby Lobby over a mini shop. I buy my supplies that I need from there but as far as mini's go there selection is horrible. I wish I had the time,money and business knowledge to run a shop because it would be so fun but I do not. So this leaves me at the mercy of those who do. I wonder how long it will be before we have to buy everything online. :lol:

What fun you must have had.....I'm so jealous! We no longer have a mini shop within 300 miles of me. And Doug refuses to go over there and won't allow me to drive over there either! Much gnashing of teeth here...................

That's so wonderful. I live right here in the greater San Antonio area and have not yet been to My Dollhouse - I am brand spankin' new to the hobby- although I used to drive by it nearly everyday when I was still working. I wasn't planning to go until I got a bit further in the construction phase- I just barely started- cuz i know I would want every thing I see. We actually have 2 stores here. Monarch Collectible has a good sized room of minis but is not strictly dh stuff but also has all things dolls- its worth seeing for the cute factor. It has a "Room of Elegance", a tea party room (they have adoption tea parties), and a nursery room too. I just looked up the website- www.dollsdolls.com incase anyone wants a peek , or are coming to see the other shop, you might as well see both! :congrats: merry christmas ever1

Is this the one that is in a big blue victorian house? We went to that one too. I got a couple of things but they did not have much as far as building supplies and thats what I wanted to get. We did by a beautiful doll there for my 5 year old that looks like a real baby. She adores it. It was neat there I felt like a little kid again. :congrats:

So envious of your weekend trip! I have someting similar planned to Toronto, Canada, about 4-5 hours away from here to go to The Little Doll House Company (www.thelittledollhousecompany.com), which is the largest store in Canada and the closest one to me, I think. But, I have to save some money first. Also have to wait until the weather is a little more predictable.

Then it will be my time to feast on all the eye candy and buy as much as I can. I can harly wait...

• 2 months later...
I wish I had the time,money and business knowledge to run a shop because it would be so fun but I do not. I wonder how long it will be before we have to buy everything online. ^_^

I'm glad this thread was brought up. Even though I don't get to travel unless we have a moving job somewhere, you never know when we might go one of those directions and I get to stop by.

I have the time and the business knowledge, now if I just had the money! I already have to buy nearly everything online. It is about 350 to the nearest mini shop from here too.

I really like "My Dollhouse", I shop there about once a month or so. They are incredibly nice people, very helpful. When I do take one of the kids they sit on the floor and play the entire time I'm there. I've not had a problem they can't help me with, and the wife (I can't remember her name right now) always tells me when she's got a new "kid-friendly" set of furniture in.

I agree that Monarch Collectibles is not much of a dollhouse store, mostly collectible dolls. I've got to be honest that being around that many dolls is kind of creepy to me, so I don't go in there much.

I'm glad you got to enjoy some Texas hospitality! Next time you're in San Antonio if you want a tour guide or a dining partner let me know!

• 3 months later...

I'm so glad I found your post! I'm in Austin and was looking for shops online when I found the one in San Antonio you mentioned! My fiance is becoming interested as well I think (he keeps looking over my shoulder when I'm online looking at houses, lol) and I mentioned going to SA to check out the store. Now that I know it's worth it we are definitely going to drive down there as soon as we get the chance!

:p

Oh, Rebecca!

Thank you for telling us about your trip! I live in Oklahoma also, and I have some credit miles left over.

When my husband is better I think I'll make a trip to San Antonio!

There's nothing like minis to perk up one's self!! :)

• 10 months later...