Another Glencroft Problem

Brandon

The roof is going on...so far so good...UNTIL...

the gable on the left side (as you face the front of the house). The holes in both sides do not line up with the tabs on the wall. (see the picture)

They seem to be off by over a 1/4 inch...

What to do? Pull the wall out to make it fit, even though that means it will be crooked? Cut new holes and fill the old ones? Pull the wall out and then do some sort of filler strip to close the gap? (The wall in question is the peaked wall over the window seat in the bedroom)

post-96-1224633491_thumb.jpg

I would cut the tabs down to fit. Also be sure that you have it turned the right way. Depending on the age of the kit and which company made it, you may have to turn it inside out or it may be the one for the other side. It looks like you may just need to cut down the tab though :)

Do your have the correct side of the piece facing upwards?

Yeah I think so...the "swoopy" piece of roof over the front door seems like it could only fit the way I tried it...

Im concerned, now that I cut the tabs off, that that piece(which is so critical that it fit tight) wont!

thats ok...Ive got some hot glue, liquid nails, and wood glue. SOMETHING will hold it together. LOL! ts looking good though...this is the first real problem (not counting my inability to read directions where wall F was concerned)

well...I cant get the curved roof to "lay down"

Tried hot glue...it just popped back off. Tried the brad nailer...no luck there either. The clamps I have are the wrong size to work there...

so I ordered some of the ones HBS has. And since I was placing an order anyway (famous last words) I went ahead and ordered some stones...

I scored mine so that it would lay flat as I clamped it down with the glue. That part was tricky the 1st time around. The second one I did, I did not have too much of a problem (I knew what to expect then though :) ) Clamps are the key though. The good ones are so expensive!

Im in the middle of building my second Glancroft and yes, its been as difficult as the first one. Ahh memories....

Everyone who has successfully built a Glencroft should earn their Dollhouse Building Doctorate, issued by Greenleaf and signed by Dean. :giggle: I'd hang mines on the wall.

Butterfly....YES! It is a tough house! On the bright side, I didnt anticipate that it would be, but now that Im close to done, I feel like I could take on bigger challenges next time.

Has anyone used the shingles that come WITH the Glencroft? Ideally, Id like to use slate, but thats not in the budget right now. (If I end up keeping it for myself, it, along with my kitchen addition, may come later)

The ones that came with are so thin...I fear they would curl if I tried to stain or paint them.

In The Blog for the Glencroft, I think almost everyone used the shingles that came with the kit. They will warp depending on the paint you use & what you used to glue them down with but they are fine for stain.

ok great...Im going to give them a shot, try to stain them sort of a weathered color. I really wanted to do a slate roof but Im running out of time (and money) for this project...Ive only got three weeks until I might have a niece to give it to. (If I end up with two nephews Im keeping it for myself and will add the slate later!)

ok great...Im going to give them a shot, try to stain them sort of a weathered color. I really wanted to do a slate roof but Im running out of time (and money) for this project...Ive only got three weeks until I might have a niece to give it to. (If I end up with two nephews Im keeping it for myself and will add the slate later!)

Congrats ahead of time! If you do have a niece and end up gifting it to her, you should get one for yourself at some point!

I haven't used the birch shingles before but what i've thought about doing is using two together on all edges that are exposed...doubling them up for added strength. Then using singles for the rest of the roof. I don't know how good it would look, but since they are pretty thin I doubt it would really show much. I bought a number of bags for my garfield a few years ago and then decided they are too thin, so they have been stored away. Now that i'm working on my Garf i've since decided that due to budget restrictions i'll have to use them! That roof is a huge amount of space to cover! I use Quick Grip glue to apply shingles, that way i don't worry about warping.

• 2 weeks later...
In The Blog for the Glencroft...almost everyone used the shingles that came with the kit.
As I blogged, I used black construction paper to simulate slates, which I will never do again! They not only curled and warped far worse than the wood ones I now use all the time, but the black in the paper has faded to a sickly tan, so I shall have to break down and mix a dark gray and repaint them all... If it's any help, Brandon, I not only use those "thin" shingles on roofs, but I side with them, too.

Thanks guys! I have a bunch of leftover thicker shingles from my sugarplum years ago...the wood is lighter in color, I may try staining the kit-included ones plus my leftovers and mix em for a more textured look. I ran out of stone and had to order another bag for my chimney, but those stones are AWESOME. I got the brown ones, which are a bit too pink, if I had it to do over I would have gotten the brown and gray mix. But...save for windows, shingles, and a few bits of interior trim--its almost done. More pictures soon I promise.