Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

WyckedWood

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neice is a fan of the books and I promised to take her to the movie, but that was when Harry Potter was supposed to come out in November and she promised to go with me to see that. But now that Warner Brothers has moved the HP release to next July I'm stuck with going to see it. I don't know why I have no desire to read these books. So many Harry Potter fans love these books and have become just as obsessive over them, but I just can't get into vampires. Now I know how all of those people I badgered about to read Harry Potter feel. I'm going to have to borrow the first and read it and see.

We're not going this weekend to see it, though. Snow and bitterly cold temperatures have me inside this weekend. I'm not going out unless I have to. I'm hoping to get some cleaning done, but will probably mess around all day and accomplish nothing.

We saw it today. Don't worry, no spoilers in my post! The most awkward thing about this movie going from book to big screen was the inability to translate the development of true love into a 2 hour movie. Except maybe for swooning 13 year old girls and Harlequin-reading spinsters...

I enjoyed the movie for what it was and am looking forward to the rest making it to the big screen. I read somewhere that the actors Bella and Edward are hitting it off in real life. I almost hope that's not the case, I'd hate for the Spiderman factor to happen. Where they date, break and the rest of the series ends up with anti-chemistry.

Did anyone see South Park's homage to Twilight? I thought it was great, particularly since Hot Topic is now my tyke's favorite store... they carry ALL the Twilight stuff, and have always carried our other favorites: Nightmare Before Christmas, Invader Zim and Skelanimals!

Natalie has mocked this story series and the movie since I first heard of it. Then her friends invited her to go to the showing this past Friday. She was angry at the ending....She came home with a poster of the Good one. ROFL! It is hanging on her wall as we speak.

She thinks she will be going to the other movies when they come out. She mocked and now she likes it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

I don't know how I missed this thread LOL

anyways... I gave the first book to a co worker and have one for a gift for my brothers girlfriend but thinking of reading that one and going and getting her another one lolol

I never did get into the hype with Harry Potter... i think it is because that I am of a visual person than reading...i started watching the movie several times and thought it was going to be good and something came up and I had to leave... I need to uy them...

there is another series that a co worker was telling me about will post it when I remember what the name is..

I bought the book Twilight for both of my nieces. I think that I'll get them the others in the series for stocking stuffers. The movie is playing in town right now - hopefully, I'll get a chance to see it over the holidays.

-Susanne

Nope I haven't seen the movie yet. My niece, Brittany (19) just moved into the city today so hopefully she and I can go and see Twilight over the holidays. I also want to take her out shopping and buy her lots of stuff. Her mum (my sister) and dad are divorcing, and Brit has decided to move to Edmonton with her mum. She's in University and just finished her last exam yesterday. She's registered to attend the University in Edmonton in January. I helped her and her mum find a condo (only 10 minutes away from where Ray and I live). Brit has said that I can help her decorate her room, so I'm looking forward to going out and looking at duvets and curtains and stuff like that.

-Susanne

I want to give you Twilight fans a good laugh.

A mutual friend of my buddy and I is reading the series now. She had borrowed the first book and got the others from the library. She had just finished the second book and was getting all set (and excited) to read the third.

She got all snuggled up and opened the first page to read it....It was in Spanish! ROFL!!!

The library gave her a spanish version of the book. So she has the fourth book that is in English but she cannot find a copy of the third...anywhere. She was beyond mad.

I went to see the movie a few weeks ago....being from Oregon I loved the scenery,that was worth going,if for no other reason, I miss trees so much. Otherwise, I agree with whoever it was who said its impossible to tell the whole story in two hours. The choice of actors/actresses was better than I anticipated, Bella was perfect. The vampire brothers were way,way off (IMO)....Alice wasnt what I pictured either. I liked Edwards actor(although too skinny),but couldnt get past the fact that he was wearing more eyeliner than Bella.

I did see the South Park "tribute" to Twilight,so funny! Per se....lol.

I finished the third book,still have the fourth to go, Im waiting until after Christmas to read it,since I cant afford to be in lala land until after the holidays. When I read one of these it puts me in another place.

Ok,so speaking of the third book,toward the end....was Bella's behavior KILLING anyone else? How could she?????I was so mad at her I almost put the book down in protest...but,ya, couldnt really do that,could I?

I still dont know if she "changes", dont tell me,but it will be hard to keep from skipping to the end to find out.

Heidi,that story about the Spanish library version is hilarious..and heartbreaking,I can feel her pain!

I almost didnt read these because I think of a vampire story as being so, late 1990's....lol....when Francis Ford Copollas remake of 'Dracula',and the whole Ann Rice craze, but Im so glad I did, its vampire-ness is secondary to the fact that this is basically (IMO) Pride and Predjudice with a vampire twist,if you think about it,there are many paralells....how do you spell paralells...anyway,dont let the vampire thing turn you off the story:)If you loved P&P....and who among us doesnt, you will love this.

ROFL!

Nat has his poster on her wall. My friend broke down @ bought book 3. She is going to give Nat books 2-3. We will have to buy the last one. I loved Anne Rice and anything Bronte is tops with me.

That having been said, there are frequent references in the Twilight series to Bronte,(and also Austen) Edward and Bella argue a little over her constant reading of a tattered copy of Wuthering Heights and talk about the characters Cathy and Heathcliff.

I hope her references to Austen and Bronte help to bring this generation of teenagers into the fold,maybe broaden their literary horizons a little:)A reference to Daphne Du Maurier would have been nice too :)I love all of the old gothic novels.

Pride & Prejudice is Jane Austen's...

I am brain depleted because of the snow. LOL Austen and Bronte are by far hands down the only authors I would want to have at my disposal if I was stranded on a deserted island.

The Brontes wrote what I consider Gothic novels, du Maurier seemed to me somewhere between Gothic & suspense, and Jane Austen's were more novels of manners, sort of romance novels with a twist. Love 'em all, but if I were stranded on a desert island I'd want my set of Dickens!