Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

WyckedWood

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that this book series is making me very very happy. Natalie has never been a reader. Coming from a family of readers and Chelsea being a big time one, this bothered me a bit. I felt like Nat was missing out on some great stories.

Until she discovered Twilight.

She received the first one for Christmas. She is almost near the end of it! I am in utter shock! That is not a thin book. I lucked out and bought the fourth book at the used book store for $6 (we had them call us when any of them came in). I bought the 2nd book yesterday (i had a 40% off coupon so it only cost about $6 also. I will pick up the third book when I get paid next week.

I find out later that getting the fourth book..even at the bargain basement price... was pure luck. You cannot even get them at the book store.

I am hoping that this will move her along into wanting to read more.

Interesting story, Heidi. I remember I was in highschool when my DM discovered my stepdaddy didn't read books for pleasure. He was literate, he could read, but he had never learned to read for pleasure and I think it mystified him that she was wearing out her thrid copy of GWTW and I was reading Judy Boltons as fast as Grosset & Dunlap put them out and always had a stack going from the library; and then he discovered Mickey Spillane! When he died I think DM and I amassed four grocery cartons slap full of mystery novels. You just never know which book is going to be the switch that flips them onto reading.

I found out from Fred that when he came home last night at 11pm, she was still on the couch reading. She said her eyes were tired and went to bed. She did not even watch tv! :rofl:

When she woke up this morning, she got ready for school, sat on the couch and started reading some more. She came outside to the car with no jacket on. She was so engrossed that she just rushed out the door. I had to give her my jacket. She had to book in her bag.

She said some of her friends were making fun because they MOCK the story. But she doesnt care. She loves it.

I found out from Fred that when he came home last night at 11pm, she was still on the couch reading. She said her eyes were tired and went to bed. She did not even watch tv! :rofl:

When she woke up this morning, she got ready for school, sat on the couch and started reading some more. She came outside to the car with no jacket on. She was so engrossed that she just rushed out the door. I had to give her my jacket. She had to book in her bag.

She said some of her friends were making fun because they MOCK the story. But she doesnt care. She loves it.

Yay!!!! Now that is what reading is alllll about!!! Love to hear things like this! Big reader myself, and well, DH and I agree that reading at bedtime isn't that good for me as I have a hard time putting a book down until it is "done" which at times mean I can read a whole night until the alarm clocks goes off.... :( Not a very good thing when one has to be at school the nxt day though :yes:

Hugs

Nat got the first book on Christmas Day. I am telling you this so you can understand how fast this is. She is done with book one, she is done with book two, and she is on book three now! She now wants to know when the next series comes out?

This from a girl that doesnt like to read and thinks she cannot read well enough.

GUESS WHAT!

yesterday I found all 4 books on my Wal-marts clearance table

I bought book 1 & 2 but 3 & 4 will have to wait for me to have more money...I haven't started reading them yet...but I'm defiantly looking forward to it.

I ADORE reading....but I missed out on all the classics like yall are talking about...I read Black Beauty at 4 and have been a voracious reader all my life...only one of my kids reads for pleasure...a disappointment to myself and all the other big readers in my family

Thanks for keeping me up to date on good books to read!

nutti :wave:

LOL!

I LOVE Bun-O-Vision.

As a first series from a first-time writer...these were great. Jasper and Alice and Jacob are my favorite characters. :)

HOWEVER

May I recommend her 2nd story, The Host? It is a sci-fi for those who don't particularly love the genre...and it's a love story...

So please read! Then we can start a new thread and talk about it!!!

Nat is almost done with the fourth book! I am so proud.

OMG! hahaha Did you see the one for Rocky Horror picture show? A christmas Story? I love this. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to make a book and movie suggestion for all you Twilight fans.

Chelsea dug into her extensive library and gave Nat a copy of Let the right one in (Lat den ratte komma in) by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It is just like Twilight. Natalie has not been able to put it down.

We rented Twilight and the Let the right one in last night. It is a Swedish film with English subtitles. Here is the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICp4g9p_rgo. It was really good! Way way better then Twilight.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so hoping the movie Twilight would be good, after reading the negative reviews. Well, we saw it this morning. My son #2 (17) watched it with me. I'm pretty glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.

The book plots are interesting, but the author's writing style annoys me to distraction. Leave out even half the number of times the words 'Bella' and 'Edward' are used in conversation, and the books would certainly be much shorter! Still, she has a way of mesmerizing her readers with her characters

My husband bought me the Twilight series for my birthday about a week early. I just finished the fourth book last night and I like the series. I could not put any of the books down and I was constantly reading for the last 2 weeks. My husband is happy I finally finished them so I will pay some attention to him for a change. LOL, I guess I get too into my reading.