instruction on building a garfield

ellegance

yes i am thinking of purchasing a garfield dollhouse. I feel in love with and always wanted a dollhouse. my question are will they be posting instructional help for this house. i have never build a house before. also how do you paint, wallpaper, or put flooring in once is built. please help

Well, hello, Ellen! When you stop to take a breath, hop over to the Newcomers' Forum and introduce yourself to the gang!

You really want to start off with a bang and build the biggest kit Greenleaf makes, don't you? Well if you have the room in your house, you go right ahead, you'll be in good company.

my question are will they be posting instructional help for this house. i have never build a house before. also how do you paint, wallpaper, or put flooring in once is built. please help
"They" (the folks at Greenleaf) put sets of instructions in the box along with the wood to build the kit. As for your other questions, I'll bet if you click on the "search" button you'll find more posts than you care to read that will answer these questions & a whole lot more; and if you get really intimidated, ask your questions as they come up.

You haven't bought the kit yet? Well first you do that. When you open it you will likely freak out at all the things you'll see in there (remember this is the biggest kit Greenleaf makes). If you do, take out the instruction sheets (helpfully labeled "instructions"), gently colse the box and go make yourself a nice pot of strong tea, and read over the instructions while you drink your tea.

Now go back and open the box again and take out the sheet(s) of acetate (these will be your window inserts) and the Warm-Up sheet (that says "warm up" on the front); I find that is a useful place to put the acetate so it doesn't get scratched, torn, or otherwise damaged. The most important information in the Warm Up sheet is "Don't Panic". Keep it close to the kit so you don't lose the acetate. Now remove the schematics sheets and close the box again; repeat the tea process, this time comparing the schematics with the instructions sheet to identify the pieces & where they are. At this point open the box, pet the wood and say nice, nurturing things to it about what a beautiful house iit's going to become, and put everything back in it and close it again and start collecting building supplies: carpenter's wood glue (or tacky, if you prefer; just don't use hot glue for construction!), masking tape, a utility or craft knife, a steel straightedge (a carpenter's square is even better for squaring things) and maybe a can of primer and another of stain.

While you're waiting for the kit to arrive (if you're ordering it) is a really good time to look at all the Garfields that members have built/ are building. Don't forget to check out the posts about Garfields in this subforum.

Above all, have fun!

• Like 2

The instructions should come with the house. You need to spend some time here looking at threads about building the garfield. There are some areas that should be wallpapered (if you are going to paper) before other things are installed. It is a large house, so take your time and research. Ilovecats has a blog on building hers going right now.

• 1 month later...

Ellen - the best advice has already been given and that is, DO NOT PANIC. I bought the Garfield and while I was waiting I read the blogs and forums and because this is my dream house I decided to order the Coventry Cottage and start on something smaller. After working on the Coventry I see I really didn't need to have started with it I could have jumped right into the Garfield but oh well now I have two houses...okay I have a total of four and two of Ernies's buses...lol One thing you will find it that they mysteriously tend to multiply :xmas_tree:

Above all, take your time and have fun. If it isn't fun let it set until it is fun again. Once you've posted five times you can share your progress with pictures...we LOVE eye candy:)

Ellen, As Holly mentioned, I, too, am building the Garfield, though I'm on a Holiday break. You can get to it through Sumaiya's site or go to

http://www.kathycalhoun.blogspot.com

My advise is to read, read, read and go slow with anything that you do while building ( any ). The instructions have thrown me off many times and I have changed the plans more than once. There are places that need decorating before you move to the next step or you'll never be able to reach them later. I feel like I'm building my Garfield from the inside out.

You are always more than welcome to e-mail me directly for questions or help.

kcalhoun@bresnan.net I do know Sumaiya would help also, as will any in the community here. We love to talk about our ideas and, especially, our frustrations.

Patience, dear Ellen, and never work when you're frustrated. The Garfield is an exquisite house and it has been a joy to work on. I know that it will be the same for you.

Kathy

Kathy's advice will apply to any kit you build. The more time you take to listen to the kit, the happier you will both be with the outcome. When you begin to feel frustrated, the best thing is to walk away and let your mind rest on something else for however long it takes.

• 3 weeks later...

You can find a lot of great information on building this house in different blogs, like the ones already mentioned here. The kit also comes with instructions and you also have this forum where you can always ask for help with anything. Im also going to build this house soon and plan on blogging it as well, in my blog.

• 9 years later...

Whilst you're waiting for your instructions to arrive, do post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.

4 hours ago, Laurella said:

My new Garfield kit is missing all instructions and schematics.  Can someone tell me how to get another  printed set?

thanks

GREENLEAF DOLLHOUSES
  436 LAKE ROAD
  SCHENEVUS, NY 12155
  UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
  Phone: (800) 253-7150
  Fax: (607) 638-9076
  email: customerservice@greenleafdollhouses.com