Music music

ilovecats

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to so many different kinds of music. If someone ever looked through my ipod they would think I must have multiple personalities :wub:

My ALL time favorite from since I was a kid is Duran Duran. I have siris-xm in my car so I have the 80's and 90's programmed. And then current hits and of course the Disney channel for when my little one is in the car we listen to the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus a lot. But the song I can't get out of my head at the moment is Dead and Gone by T.I. with Justin Timberlake. Justin's part is what I keep singing the rap part just kinda goes in one ear and out the other.

My faves are Il Divo, Josh Groban, and John Denver. I just love ALL of those!!!

Yup, love them too. Plus bee-gee's, elton john, chris de burgh, zamfir, 70's, 80's, Faith Hill, Disney silly songs and soundtracks to many of the movies, etc, etc. I have a very varried taste in music which can't really be put into any category.

I have one of those split personalities-country/western and Mannheim Steamroller. Aaron Copeland and Manhattan Transfer. Dolly Parton and Barbara Streisand. When I pull up to an intersection, next to some gangbanger with his windows open and the rap blasting, I toll down my windows and turn ol' George Strait up as loud as I can. I will probably get shot one day!

Some of my recent aquisitions are:

Guarachi Gurro by Cal Tjader

tunes by Donal Hinley, who I believe is from Texas and plays pretty tunes on glassware

songs played by some Brit bellringers

music from the Sherlock Holmes and Torchwood series

Who hid the Halibut on the Poopdeck by Yogi Yorgesson

Korla Pandit playing the organ (strange fellow, Korla)

more Benny Goodman,Artie Shaw and Les Brown

and I have loads of Manheim Steamroller.

More normal stuff includes Alan Jackson, Toby Keith,Brooks & Dunn, Charlie Daniels, Chris Le Doux, John Anderson, Hank Jr., and Willie, Waylon and Johnny Cash. My favorite Johnny Cash songs of course, would have to be One Piece at a Time and A Boy Named Sue.

Oh I love Bad to the Bone by George Thoroughgood. I love lots of songs.

Do I win a prize for eclectic or just plain weird???? :crazyeyes:

My recent favorite is Already Gone by Sugarland Express. That's one of those I sing in the car where no one can hear me! I also love one that you never hear, but I have on cd. It's Can't Find my Way Home, sung by Pat Green. Wonderful earthy music and very different from anything else he has done. It has a fantastic drummer (I'm not a big drum fan) and an almost African feel.

Wow, after reading through everyone's music tastes, I don't feel so odd! I like everything from whatever is on the "today's music" radio station to easy listening to show tunes (My husband makes fun of my showtunes).

Some of my current favorites, Mama Mia (LOVED the movie,. cute story and the music (so catchy) Pierce Brosnan can't sing for beans but he's sure is easy on the eyes), Neil Diamond, John Denver, Johnny Cash, Bon Jovi, Pink, Jimmy Buffet, Air Supply, 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, 5 for Fighting, Jimmy Buffet, Meatloaf (LOVE Bat out of He-double el #3, the second one was disappointing and the first - classic, enuf said), Miley Cyrus (don't tell anyone though!), Evanescence, a LOT of 80's stuff (I grew up during the 80's), GreenDay, Josh Grobin, Billy Joel, Elton John, Classical (Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, etc), Sountrack from Disney's Fantasia, and showtunes like Cats, Chorus Line, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Chicago, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, and my newest, Mama Mia.

I guess the showtunes comes from growing up near NYC and going to a different Broadway play nearly every month...that's the only thing I miss about NY.

Chistine

Sergei Rachmaninoff, Andrea Bocelli and David Helfgott doing The Rach. 3, part 1 (I LOVE THIS!!) I listen to classical and opera more than modern music, it's soothing. Rammstein and other harder tunes are on my ipod for working out, kinda gets your blood pumping!

I usually listen to Manheim Steamroller, Pavarotti and other opera music, middle eastern dance music, classicals, some oldies - Mamas and Papas, etc., and of course the movie music. I love the music from LOTR for example and to Doug's dismay play it constantly, along with the music from The Color Purple and my other favorite Memoroirs of a Geisha. Also the music from Dancing with Wolves naturally, and feature that on some of my webpages. Along with Manheim Steamroller's Classical Gas which is my all time favorite. Doug hates to hear music when he is not in the mood - most of the time - so I play it with my ear phoones on.......that too displeases him, because then I can't hear him! LOL

I'm another weirdo with lots of stuff on my iPod - for some strange reason my preteen and I love similar song (no Hannah Montana here)...

I think the oddest thing we both love is Me First and the Gimme Gimme's. You either love them or hate them. They take popular songs - everything from Broadway to country - even Somewhere Over the Rainbow... and make it a punk song. They're so upbeat we are just addicted. If you're so inclined, try listening to one of them on YouTube and tell me whether you Love It or Hate It. :welcome:

We also love OKGO - you might of seen the video with the choreographed treadmill walking. Their other songs are just as good.

We also love just about everything Maroon 5 and Avril Lavine make.

My current favorite, must listen to daily is I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. Again - a feel good song you can really sing too. We both know all the words by heart now.

I don't have music on when I'm mini-ing or other projecting, because I listen to the music and tend to get lost in it. Totally love Chip Davis (Manheim Steamroller), most kinds of folk music (we have, or have had, all of Ravi Shankar's albums) and jazz (although Winton Marsalis does wonderful things to Henry Purcell's music, too). In fact, I guess "eclectic" would be a mild description for our family's music tastes. I still wonder if anyone knows whatever became of Fran McKendree (McKendree Spring).

I think it might be Bluegrass, is there any other kind.

<looking up at my dad's mandolin and two banjos hanging on the wall> Walt, I think you may be right. At least my bluegrass roots tell me so and I heard my father say the same thing you said over and over. I grew up listening to Ralph Stanley, Flatt and Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Snuffy Jenkins, etc. Best of all was listening to my dad when he'd get out the fiddle or banjo and play in the evenings. I'd sit on the floor next to his chair and just get lost in the music.

I still wonder if anyone knows whatever became of Fran McKendree

Wasn't he the drummer for the 1910 Fruitgum Company?

<ducking and running>

Deb

Wow, well I like basically everything except classical and rap. I used to listen to KQRS in the 70s - they were one of the top FM stations in the country at a time when FM was really something. And I learned a lot about good music from them.

Long John Baldry, Poco, Mason Profit, Shawn Phillips, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jesse Winchester, Tom Rush - I could just go on and on. I have a lot of it on my Myspace page - if anyone wants to know where to find it, just drop me a PM.

But I love country (some country western - the old stuff), blues, hard rock, jazz, Celtic, some New Age and lots more. I'm always looking for new good music - right now for anyone that likes a bluegrass/country sound, try Red Molly:

http://www.Myspace.com/redmollyband

They're a pretty new band but not well known yet and they're good. Sorry, I'm plugging here - that's because I really like them!

There's an awful lot of terribly gorgeous classical music out there, Winton Marsalis' album of Baroque trumpet music is a fave at our house! On the other hand what Leonard Bernstein used to do to Debussy should be a capital offense!

• 2 months later...

Listening to Secret Garden Pastorale.

I love their music.

Too bad I need to go to bed in a few minutes i'd rather stay up listening to music. but i guess i need to get up and earn the money to pay for the electricity that plays the cd. :)