I just went to the Dark Side!

Sarah91

I did the vegetarian thing a few years ago and boy did i feel GREAT!!! I lasted a year or so and craved a steak :doh:

Now my body seems to want the veggie thing again so i am complying :jump:

I'm an omnivore, but mainly a veggievore (except cooked cabbage/turnips/mustard greens). I love salads and lightly steamed vegs. However, a nice grilled steak with red wine mushroom sauce and a bit of feta or bleu melted on top will make me very happy (followed by something warm and chocolatey out of the oven....

Only thing I'm not a fan of is fish. I like shrimp/scallops/maybe a bit of salmon, but nothing else.

I'm an omnivore, but mainly a veggievore (except cooked cabbage/turnips/mustard greens). I love salads and lightly steamed vegs. However, a nice grilled steak with red wine mushroom sauce and a bit of feta or bleu melted on top will make me very happy (followed by something warm and chocolatey out of the oven.... b

Only thing I'm not a fan of is fish. I like shrimp/scallops/maybe a bit of salmon, but nothing else.

Man (and women) were always meat eaters.....and we lived and thrived on a diet of almost all meats! It wasn't until later on - way later on - that the eating of veggies came along. And it took man a long time to eat some of them, the history of eating tomatos was interesting. They were thought to be poisenous and were also called love apples. Mixed feelings about them I guess.

But welcome back to the family of man - the meat eaters!

Today I ate meat. For the first time in years. I have stopped being a vegetarian. I have come to the Dark Side. And wow it tastes GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long were you a veg? Do you think you will totally leave certain foods/recipes altogether like tofu and tempeh? Did you do it for health or because of the way animals are treated in processing plants?

I am a die hard meat eater. I probably always will be. I wish someday that Chelsea will just be a vegetarian. She is a vegan and I wonder how long it will last. She hated all forms of meat all her life..even as a young child. So I know she will never eat meat again. I just wish she would go back to dairy and eggs. It would make Thanksgiving much easier..LOL

Go slow with eating the protein. It could make you sick in the beginning because your guts are not used to it. Just like going VEG slowly..you gotta go MEATY slowly too.

I tried to be a vegetarian a few years ago. But unfortunately the meat eater in me craved all meat. Now my 4 year old might be the one who will be a vegetarian. He does not like any red meat. But he will eat Kentucky Fried Chicken. My daughters are the complete opposite. If any form of food meat or otherwise is dangled in front of them be care ful, you might lose your fingers. I jokingly call my daughters the vultures. Mainly because they will eat their own suppers and then hover over my husbands plate wondering what he will give them.

Although never a vegetarian, I wasn't a big meat eater until a couple of years ago, and believe it or not, it was doctor's orders! I was suffering from anemia, could hardly make it through the day, and 15 minutes physical labor of any kind, even just housecleaning, was enough to wipe me out for the rest of the day! My doctor diagnosed anemia and told me to eat red meat and lots of it! I am now past the crisis point and cutting back on the red meat a bit, but I realize it will always have be a part of my life.

Even a casual examination of the human mouth and digestive system shows that we are made to be omnivores. A balanced, sensible diet consisting of a variety of foods is what we are buit to eat, and as I found out you can become seriously ill if you don't eat ALL the foods you need.

I was a vegetarian for a few years but my mom made pork chops last night that for some reason I wanted really badly. Plus, I was starting to crave meat lately and as my boyfriend is a chef, eating meat makes life easier for both of us lol.

:blink: Sniffle sniffle sniffle :(

Bye - we'll miss you ... :( please come back sometime - we'll leave the light on.

I write this as I sit here in my ancient light blue shirt with a picture of a little blonde haired girl in the center of a lion and cow and other animals that reads "Love animals, don't eat them."

I've been a vegetarian for 30 plus years and for most of those I was vegan. MD's orders necessitated adding a small amount of cheese now and then for a different type of calcium absorption but that's it.

I'll never change at my old age. I'd be SO sick - literally. One time someone tricked me with some meat in a dish and I unknowingly ate it and became violently ill. After they found out how sick I got, they confessed what they had done. It was just dreadful. My system just wouldn't be able to handle it anymore.

Ironically, I live in a household of big time meat eaters and have to cook it for them. Sometimes the smell just gags me but I'm not going to force my choices on them. They have their right to eat it just as much as I have mine to not eat it.

So, good luck but be careful that you don't make yourself ill. Go slowly - as Heidi mentioned.

: literally. One time someone tricked me with some meat in a dish and I unknowingly ate it and became violently ill. After they found out how sick I got, they confessed what they had done. It was just dreadful. My system just wouldn't be able to handle it anymore.

That is sooo mean. I would tie them down, pry there mouth open, and make them eat a whole block of tofu..Uncooked, Unseasoned, and still juicy! I would not even give them the courtesy of pressing the liquid out of it... :)

30 years huh? Maybe you could send me some of your favorite recipes. How do you make your scrambled tofu?

Meat-eaters, please do not take offense at my answering Heidi's question. Not sure I should be answering your question here but for lack of figuring out how to follow protocol, I will anyway.

I do not use much in the way of straight tofu or high soy products. There are the occasional treat rather than the daily table fare. There are other health issues that come into play with soy that I need to be careful with. I follow a VERY low protein diet which would not be good for your daughter as a growing young lady. I'm an old grandma so the impact is less of an issue. I do use some of the high protein vegetable based powders that you mix with water to supplement.

The other part is I'm the only one who eats this way and must prepare meat meals for the 3 grandkids, my husband and my adult son. I leave myself out of the mix most of the time cuz I'm too tired to bother with something separate. My MD yells at me all the time about it but - Oh well ....

I took a cooking class way back in the 1970's on whole food and vegan cooking. That's when I finally realized I couldn't stand the thought of eating anything that could look at me with trusting little eyes. That gave me a basis to operate from to create my own style. It was done thru the local public schools as part of the adult continuing ed classes they used to have. Wish they still had that sort of thing available. sigh ...

I have collected and been given lots of cookbooks over the years but I'm not much of one to follow things very strictly. I kinda wing it most of the time - an old fashioned cook - just throw things in til it tastes right.

Three that I can recommend are some of my newer ones (sound old for everyone else I realize) The cookbook I like best is "Friendly Foods" by Brother Ron Pickarski, OFM. ISBN # 0-89815-377-8 (1991).

Two others I use some are a little spiral bound quick fix cookbook called "Veggie Lovers" by Chef Morty Star ISBN # 0-914846-77-9 (1994) and "The Meatless Gourmet - Favorite Recipes from around the World" by Bobbie Hinman ISBN # 1-55958-559-5 (1994)

Cheers to you for supporting your daughter in her endeavor. Not many families are supportive and you should take this praise for your efforts. Congratulations on being such a good mom.

Hope this helps a little.

I could never be a vegetarian but more power to the people that do it. My sister is mostly vegetarian she would be happy eating beans and rice everyday the only meat she eats is an occational burger or sasauge with breakfast. My dad thinks shes crazy and tries to trick her but she has sixth sensense about and just by smelling it she can tell there is meat in the dish