holiday tradations

badlilkit10

:blink::) i notice that christmas and holidays have already been brought up. So I was wondering if you have any special tradations that you still celabrate.

I used to go to midnight mass with a good friend of mine and we used to go to vist our other friends to do gifts before we would go. Thats was also before my parents moved down south jersey and now that im married we go down to my parents on christmas eve for the italian pasta dinner. And on christmas day we are at my in-laws for ham and stuff. But I still love to drive around to go look at all the houses lite up with the christmas decerations. :boat::) :yes:

We have a neighborhood nearby that they convert to "Christmas Card Lane" for the time between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. We take any of our kids and their families and go down Christmas Card Lane, then downtown to the park, where they have a 3/4 sized Nativity set and then order pizza. This year it will just be son, his wife, and their daughter.

When my grandchildren were young I use to have them over to decorate my tree and enjoy chille afterwords. They are teenagers now and I am going to have to check with them to see if they still want to do it. Last year I was ill and did not have a tree. I usually set up the tree on my car port with my xmas village. My living room is smaller and the carport allows everyone to enjoy the tree.

We are more traditional with Thanksgiving than we are with Christmas. There are several recipes that have been handed down for generations in my Mom's family that I still make every year. It's also a tradition to watch the Macy's parade, because one of my Gran's uncles way back when did the make up for the clowns.

Christmas is never the same. The only childhood Christmas dinner I remember was the year we had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! The power went out when the turkey was still in the oven and didn't come back on until pretty late, so we had to have sandwiches on Christmas day and our real dinner the following day!

When the kids were young, we'd open one present on Christmas Eve, and the rest very early on Christmas Day. Once they were all old enough to know the truth about Santa, we'd open all presents on Christmas Eve, stay up late playing with everything and sleep in a bit on Christmas Day. This year we'll change things a bit for Sonny's first Christmas.

Growing up, we didn't have a whole lot of traditions, although every year on Christmas Eve, my sister and I were allowed one gift, which was always a new LLBean flannel nightgown, and we also had a chocolate advent calendar. Now that Jill and I are all growed up (or something..) and have our own families, we are working on building traditions and creating new ones for ourselves, such as our annual Black Friday and Boxing Day dates. Also, Eric and I do Christmas with my sister and her family the day after Christmas, in the evening, and we do pizza instead of a full-on dinner (since Jill and I have been shopping all day!)

As far as decorating, usually the weekend after Thanksgiving, depending on what day Eric and I have off together. One decorating tradition we have is putting out all my mom's Santa collectibles on the table in our hallway with a pretty Christmas cloth. I don't really know why *I* am the one that ended up with the Santas, but I did, and my sister gets me a new one every year LOL. I don't have a problem with it, certainly, I just never was into Santas like Mom was, but it's all good. Christmas music: as soon as a local radio station starts playing it, my car radio doesn't change! I sound like a dying cow when I sing, but when it comes to Christmas songs, I just don't care: don't like it, don't listen! :blink:

My first husband and his family had many many traditions that we followed, and to a certain extent, I still follow. Though I no longer fast on the day we call Christmas Eve and go to midnight mass that night, then eat a full dinner when we got home from church in the middle of the night.......I still make many of the Lithuanian foods for the holidays. There are many things that we did that I still do for the holidays. I no longer leave our Christmas tree up until the night of the three kings in January and that feels funny not to do that. But I remember my "other life" in many small ways. Our traditions here are more simple - living with Doug means I don't do all the things I used to do, but cater now to how he is feeling, and what his wants and desires are. He is rather casual about the holidays I so loved in my past life.....

We usually have a parade and a tree lighting ceremony in the town that I work. I went last year and I'll probably go this year too. Our family usually has a party before Christmas, and then we have our own private thing on Christmas day.

I make a big seafood dinner on Christmas Eve. I make a Feast of seven fishes. I usually do a fish stew and then a pasta with shrimp. Same as when I was a kid.

When I grew up we followed the same meal plan as this website in this post says. Antipasto, pasta fagoli, ravioli or spaghetti, ham or meatballs or sausage (or combo of them), and a large salad. We always had a bowl of nuts to crack, figs and dates. Always!

My family does not like the figs and dates so I do not get them anymore...but I think I will get a ring of figs this year just because I havent had them in awhile.

Now I usually make a lasagna (homemade sauce and homemade meatballs cut up), a salad, and a antipasto.

We open one present on Christmas Eve.

We had a lot of traditions growing up in England, some little things, some bigger. A lot of them we don't do now we're in Florida. But I try to make some of the traditional foods still (but I'm a bad cook!). We still watch the Queen's Speech at 3pm on Christmas Day, but now we watch it on the internet rather than the TV. That's the main one for us.