Thanksgiving Pies

heidiiiii

Both American and Canadian Thanksgivings apply here.

I always make an Apple/raisin pie and a pumpkin pie.

Thinking of doing something different but nothing is hitting me between the eyes. I have been baking since I was 8 yrs old so I have made plenty of pies..Custard (my Dad`s favorite), sweet potato, mincemeat (do not like it), all kinds of berry...

What type of pies do you have on Thanksgiving? I figured since we live all over the map there will be some types I have never thought of or even attempted.

I think I will dust off my Mom`s 1940s Betty Crocker for some inspiration but wanted to know what you make/buy/get/eat in the way of pie.

This year since it is only Doug and myself, only a pumpkin pie. He is also asking for a peach pie as well, but I'm saying nay.....only one pie, take your pick. So we agreed on pumpkin! I take extra crust for the pie and make leaves out of them which are baked separately. Then when the pie is cooled, I put the leaves on the top and decorate the pie with cool whip or whipped cream around the edges and sprinkle nutmeg over that.

I make Pumpkin pie and Lemon meringue pie. I try to switch it out but my family tells me no. I would love to be able to bake a decent apple pie but whenever I try to bake an apple pie it always comes out really runny, no matter what I do.

well since thanksgiving at my house usually consists of about 17-20 people we make between 8 and 9 pies. Usually the list is something like this:

2 pumpkin

2 apple

2 strawberry rhubarb

2 chocolate

and then sometimes different berry ones too. I love pie. And therefor thanksgiving too. :D

CHESS PIE

Beat together three eggs & 1 1/3 cups sugar. Add 1 Tablespoon each cornmeal & flour. Then add 1 stick of melted butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of vinegar and stir together well. Pour into pieshell and bake at 350 degrees until brown and knifeblade comes out clean.

Versions of this recipe may also call for a pinch of salt or a dollop of cream.

When I have kids home for holidays among the pies I bake are pecan, mincemeat & "tater.

Heidi...if memory serves...(no pun intended there) there are Lemon Chess pies and Chocolate Chess pies...which one for her, don't know.

I make Pumpkin and Pecan pies. I love Pumpkin and DH loves pecan.

Tips for pecan pie: use chopped pecans instead of halves, it cuts much easier and I use at least double the amount of pecans the recipe calls for. It's more expensive, but...otherwise it's the layer of pecans with alot of the custard underneath. If you think about it, every other pie is the same top to bottom, why should pecan be any different?

Gayle/Bookmarm...chocolate pecan? How do you do that? I've heard of black bottom, which has chocolate chips at the bottom, but not chocolate. And what's Shoofly?

Tried making Sugar Cream pie last year. It flopped, bad.

Terri

Ooo! Sugar cream pie sounds really good....looking in google....

Sugar Cream Pie

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups half and half
  • 5 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • yellow food coloring, a drop or two for color, optional
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • freshly grated nutmeg

Preparation:
    Mix sugar, cornstarch, half-and-half, and salt in saucepan. Cook to boiling point. Add vanilla, food coloring, if using, and the butter; return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. If there are any lumps, put through a find sieve. Pour the mixture into pie shell and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 325° for 35 to 45 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
    Serves 6 to 8.

*See that looks really easy but it is deceiving. Like a custard pie seems easy when you read it but if you do not do it JUST right..it will flop badly.*

Custard Pie

Ingredients:

• 3 eggs
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 3 level tablespoons self rising flour
    • 2 tablespoons melted butter
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1 (12 oz) can fat-free evaporated milk

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325°. Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour into a greased and floured pie pan. Bake in a 325° oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.

The Chess pie I make is a little different from Holly"s.

1/4 cup flour

1 3/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 stick butter

3 eggs

1/2 c buttermillk

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

dash nutmeg

Combine flour, sugar and salt. Add melted butter and beaten eggs. Beatslightly with rotary beater. Stir in buttermilk and flavorings. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake 350º for 45-50 min until knife blade comes out clean.

Our whole family is getting together at our house again this year. They come from all over the U.S. We have a good time cooking, laughing and eating! Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

French Pork Pie (Tourtiere)

2 lbs ground pork

1 onion, finely chopped

1 potato, cut into quarters and peeled

2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed

ground cinnamon and clove, about 1/4 tsp each

1 1/2 cups chicken stock

salt and pepper

pre-made pie crust, top and bottom (or make your own)

1 egg for glazing crust

Mix all ingredients together in a large pan and simmer for about a half hour, stir often.

Skim fat off and cook until meat is cooked and still moist.

Take potatos out and lightly mass and add back to mixture, and stir well.

Put crust in a deep, 9" pie plate and pour in mixture.

Cover with other pie crust, poke holes for venting and glaze with egg.

place in 375 degree oven for abou 45 minutes or until crust browns.

Holly doesn't make chess pie, that was one of a set of SW GA recipes for chess pie. I don't make shoofly pie for the same reason. If I'm going to try to eat anything that sweet I want it to have a lot less sugar and either fruit, nuts, or both in it. Now for a savory custard pie, I lost my heart to quiche years ago! Greg, I'm going to have to remember where I saw your recipe until we get hooked back up to our printer.

We usually figure on a half to a whole pie per person attending ... Isn't that absolutely ridiculous ???

My grandmother-in-law used to make 70 pies for T-day !!!! She had a special pie safe shelving system set up to hold them all. The rule was that everyone could eat as much as they wanted. No one had to eat any veggies or anything else they didn't want.

T-day for the last 40 years is always at my house. I do all the meat, stuffing and veggies. My wonderful MIL makes bread or rolls from scratch.

I make most of the pies - chocolate, pecan, pumpkin, then banana or coconut cream, sometimes chessecake with a couple of berry toppings, and then mince (which I hate so someone else usually makes that one), and cherry or apple pie or crisp.

When my kids were young, they always made an ice cream pie by themselves to add to the dinner.

Of course, this requires at least 4 pints of whipping cream to take care of all these pies as well as some wonderful sage and extra sharp cheeses.